• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Centech fuse block and relay

redcat43

redcat43
Need some advice on where and how to locate a Centech fuse block and relay on a 2007 R1200RT. Google didn't give me much on this subject. I want to add a couple of accessories without stacking connections on the battery terminals.

There are plenty of threads on this site- do a Forum search and you'll get lots

Major fuse block brands include Centech, Fuzeblock and Eastern Beaver (there are others) each with its own virtues.

The Fuzeblock is easiest to wire because it uses an on board relay and its circuits can all be made switched or unswitched. The Eastern Beaver has the most individually fused circuits (8, 3 of wich are unswitched). Centech is commonly done by dealers and is the "old reliable" of the bunch and the most common.

Most put the block under the rear seat toward the front of the rear fender but there are a few who put it up in front near the headlight- best choice for you dpends on what you want to wire. (I use an Eastern Beaver that has all slots in use and is on the rear fender).

There are various places to get the trigger wire depending on what you want
1) Dealers often tap it into the rear accessory outlet wire because its easist to get at. This is live until the ZFE shut if off 20-30 seconds after the bike is keyed off BUT may sometimes take 30 minutes (enough to kill a battery if you leave a high wattage accessory switched on)
2) For an instant off one can tap into the parking light wire up front, or the diagnostic connector or start relay in the box near the fender.
3) Also instant on off but not until the engine starts- tap the trigger into a low beam headlight wire.

Others also possible...

Fuse panel relays and those of most accessory harnesses use unprotected (against "reverse voltage" spikes) relays (no diode or resistor on the relay coil).
So to ensure electrical isolation of the panel stuff from the bikes electrics, I like a diode in the trigger wire (1000-1500 PIV, 1A, about 50 cents at the Shack). Reason is that BMW publishes no circuit diagrams for the bike main computers like the ZFE so one cannot assess how well they are protected against stray voltages- they're probably well done but there is no published info and killing one would be pricey....

Do follow good wiring practices re protection, making connections, and fusing. There is a lot of sloppy homebrew wiring out there that is unreliable and a possible fire hazard.

CycleNutz Relay Harness

Will this CycleNutz harness do the trick? It seems to be the simplest and most straight forward way to connect a trigger wire.

http://www.cyclenutz.com
Ezy-Mount Plug N Play Parking Lamp Switched Power Interface
Item Id: EZY_PNP-SWTCHPOWER

fuse block

I found a fuse block that had 8 fuses in it, cut it in half and added a relay to be key activated, added (1) a J&M CB/intercom/music, phone or Garmin connector, (2) a BMW style socket outlett, (3) a cigarett Lighter socket outlet, (4) and a heated grip set to it. Cheaper than the high end stuff, but very effective....the trouble is finding a place to put the thing....craig in nm

Back