• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Do You Wear ARAI?

Opinions are rather like Noses, every one has one. Thats why we are not all riding the same M/C and wearing the same Helmut!

Amen to that!

But my opinion about what goes on my head is what matters. LOL... That being said, I believe the main reason that Arai got my business several years ago was "fit" dependant, with cost a secondary concern. I have an oversized melon, with, I guess, and odd shape. (I broke a football helmet in high school, it took a week on special order to replace.) As far as other brands, I like to shop around and continue to try on competitive brand helmets when they're available. But I'm lucky that I've never had a helmet piece get broken or go missing like the OP...

Cheers!

Another Kool Aid drinker that makes the economy better. Try some other less expensive brands. You might be pleasantluy surprised! Scorpian, HJC etc.

Or you might not. I've worn Scorpion, HJC, Nexx, and Shark helmets, and every single one of them has required serious reshaping or removal of foam in order to fit right. None of them have fit nearly as well (even after the modifications) or been as quiet or ventilated as well as my Signet-Q. Arais are seriously expensive, but with as much as I ride, they're worth it to me.

I own five different brands of helmets right now including three Arais. Consider the Arais worth the price and won't buy anything else.[/QU

Another Kool Aid drinker that makes the economy better. Try some other less expensive brands. You might be pleasantluy surprised! Scorpian, HJC etc.

Jack

Dude, I own a Scorpion and HJC so just tone back the bull**** and insults. If you choose to contribute to the Chinese economy, that's your choice.

After nearly 50 years of riding I bought my first Arai last year because it fit.

They seem to make a special effort to fit more "heads" by having at least 3 helmet shell sizes and a family of shells for long oval and another for "round" heads. The individual size of XS,S, M, L XL etc are distributed across the shell sizes. Most other manufacture only have 2 shell sizes for all their head sizes..

I have a round head and the RX-Q fits the top of my head (crown like) perfectly (this is where the helmet must fit correctly. Because I have also have fat face I had to remove material form the cheek pads.

I learned that I had previously bought helmet to fit my cheeks firmly but were in fact too large for the top of my head. Dumb huh!...still learning.

Buy a helmet that fits first. Then get the safety rating that you think serves your needs.
Price should be a lower priority.

After nearly 50 years of riding I bought my first Arai last year because it fit.

They seem to make a special effort to fit more "heads" by having at least 3 helmet shell sizes and a family of shells for long oval and another for "round" heads. The individual size of XS,S, M, L XL etc are distributed across the shell sizes. Most other manufacture only have 2 shell sizes for all their head sizes..

I have a round head and the RX-Q fits the top of my head (crown like) perfectly (this is where the helmet must fit correctly. Because I have also have fat face I had to remove material form the cheek pads.

I learned that I had previously bought helmet to fit my cheeks firmly but were in fact too large for the top of my head. Dumb huh!...still learning.

Buy a helmet that fits first. Then get the safety rating that you think serves your needs.
Price should be a lower priority.

Agree. I bought an HJC 3/4 helmet last year for riding in very hot weather. It did get me through the Bloomsburg inferno, but never fit exactly right. Just bought an Arai XC RAM Helmet and while the cost was several times as much, the fit, ventilation, comfort, and quality of the materials is significantly higher, so I'm happy.

I highsided at Putnam Park back in 1998 in turn 4 at about 110. According to the guy behind me I landed directly on my head. I don't know because I was knocked unconscious immediately and didn't come to until the ambulance arrived. To this day I say it was the Arai QuantumII that kept me in one piece. Other than the knock-out I was fine...not even a scratch.

And to echo the previous post, my brothers favorite comment, "how much is your head worth?"

These are two of the foundations of my opinion on buying an Arai, Shoei, or Suomy (and that opinion is worth exactly what you're paying for it) and I personally own all three brands.

Yes a Snell rating is a Snell rating and lots of companies can design and produce a helmet to pass that test. Arai, Shoei, Suomy design helmets TO BE crashed in, not pass a lab test, big difference in design criteria IMHO.

RDs brothers sentiments are a call back to the '60's era Bell helmet ad copy of "If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 dollar helmet." Made sense to me then, makes sense now.

Back