• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

By accident I laid my 800GS down...couldn't pick it up!

Late last fall

I should have been more clear - I meant do not pick up your bike by the handlebars only.

My VERY heavily loaded R1100GS was on it's side in a parking lot. I couldn't lift it upright using the butt to seat, backwards crawl method.

But i was able to lift it using the handlebar only method.... but it wasn't easy!!

Adrenalin. I got off my RT and realized the side stand was not down and over we went. As quickly as I could I jumped up and just heaved with all my might and to my surprise up it came.

Adrenaline worked for me when I put the kickstand down on my Harley police bike in a very soft, sand and gravel parking lot. The stand sunk right in and the bike just kept going down down down. I was at a public event, in full police uniform, behind about 300 people who were all facing away from me. I had that sucker upright in less than two seconds in fear that someone was going to turn around.

At the motorcycle shows Harley has a woman demonstrate the butt to the seat and baby steps backward method but the bike does have side bags so it's not completely horizontal.

reminds me of...:whistle

:laugh:laugh:laugh

capsize-recovery-2005.jpg

A downhill nose first was my worst a few years back on a loaded GSA...I couldn't tell you how I got it righted...just got there.

hmmm... I wonder why this is called "how not to"...? :scratch

this is how I pick up mine.

Now, I must say that it works better with an opposed twin, since they don't fall over so far and the bars are easier to place into the proper position.

Ian

I've used this method also with good results. Works good.

Getting your bike upright

I`m 62 yrs 5`10 190 AVERAGE BUILD I got my 08 RT back up with hands facing back grab frame at side (bend knees) stepping back and lifting till upright being very carefull to be stable and keep bike in gear it worked for me,if you have back or knee problems get help !

Back