Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: By accident I laid my 800GS down...couldn't pick it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Whosoever View Post
    So folks, what do you do....is there a secret to pick it up?
    Yup, you have to get plain mad.

Picking up a motorcycle on level ground is a no brainer. Try picking one up when both wheels are resting on ground that is higher than the rest of the motorcycle...as in a road with a 20% grade. A GSA with a full tank of gas gets even heavier then.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    Yup, you have to get plain mad.
    So true!
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Lifting a 800gs from the ground...

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    So true!
    It was twice as easy to lift my 2012 R1200GSA than my 2013 800GS from the ground ! The 800GS lies so flat down that you got to bend the knees a lot more.
    Another problem that I am having is that when I use the technique of lifting from the handle bar, my handle bar gets crucked ! I have to find a tree to straight it out after every time!! Is it normal>>???
    Cheers

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by moulin6801 View Post
    Another problem that I am having is that when I use the technique of lifting from the handle bar, my handle bar gets crucked ! I have to find a tree to straight it out after every time!! Is it normal>>???
    Cheers
    Don't use your handlebars to lift your bike. Its outside their design criteria.

haven't dropped my F8GS all that many times, but have yet to see the bars go crooked (that was what you were trying to say, right?)... but maybe your bar clamps are not torqued properly?

or are the bars actually bending (which is the only thing i can think of that would likely need a tree to help sort out)?
    Last edited by bikerfish1100; 03-10-2014 at 08:20 PM.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Don't use your handlebars to lift your bike. Its outside their design criteria.
    I thought it's one of the methods taught by BMW. Pretty sure I saw a video from BMW off road training that shows lifting from the handlebar.

If you get to see "Ride Like a Pro" from Jerry the "motorman" Pallidino, he shows how to pick up an 800lb Police Harley- no matter what size you are.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Type M for Moderator
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    I thought it's one of the methods taught by BMW.
    I should have been more clear - I meant do not pick up your bike by the handlebars only.

I should have been more clear - I meant do not pick up your bike by the handlebars only.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen a BMW video example of us the handlebar ONLY to lift a bike. Like this (although this is obviously not a BMW video).

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've seen a BMW video example of us the handlebar ONLY to lift a bike. Like this (although this is obviously not a BMW video).
    Well then. I stand correcticated.

Good way to leave your nuts on the ground. Process seems to be fueled by beer muscles.

Late last fall

My VERY heavily loaded R1100GS was on it's side in a parking lot. I couldn't lift it upright using the butt to seat, backwards crawl method.

But i was able to lift it using the handlebar only method.... but it wasn't easy!!
    Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......

Quote Originally Posted by moralem View Post
    Adrenalin. I got off my RT and realized the side stand was not down and over we went. As quickly as I could I jumped up and just heaved with all my might and to my surprise up it came.
    Adrenaline worked for me when I put the kickstand down on my Harley police bike in a very soft, sand and gravel parking lot. The stand sunk right in and the bike just kept going down down down. I was at a public event, in full police uniform, behind about 300 people who were all facing away from me. I had that sucker upright in less than two seconds in fear that someone was going to turn around.

At the motorcycle shows Harley has a woman demonstrate the butt to the seat and baby steps backward method but the bike does have side bags so it's not completely horizontal.

reminds me of...

capsize-recovery-2005.jpg

A downhill nose first was my worst a few years back on a loaded GSA...I couldn't tell you how I got it righted...just got there.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    reminds me of...

capsize-recovery-2005.jpg

BTDT, when we got our first sailboat. Standing on the dagger board makes it easier.

Haven't dropped my RS yet...
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289