• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Old Man from Dutchess Co. NY Says Hello

kevincresci

Old Man
Hi,

I started to ride 6 yrs ago at the age of 50. Always wanted a bike as a kid but my parents didn't think it was a good idea. I was hiking in the Catskills and saw some bikers having fun and thought that it would be fun to get my moto lisc. Three bikes later and I own a 2011 R1200RT that I got last yr.

BMW MOA and I seem to be a good fit. I love to ride far and travel by motorcycle. I am kind of nerdy and value comfort over fashion. Next Sunday 4/29/12 I'm going to check out a new club in the Hudson Valley..... River Runners at a 1PM meeting at Hyde Park.

Any thoughts on joining me for a sore butt ride to the national rally let me know.

Kevin

Welcome to the BMW world. Old at 56....that's not old!

Enjoy the rally when you get there. I will be attending from Ohio.

Hey Kevin, welcome to the forum from another Hudson Valley-ite! I won't be at the rally but am always riding up 22.

Hi Craig,

Do you know anything about the club that is trying to form in Hyde Park? Larry Wilson is hoping to get the Hudson River Riders up and running again. If they form, it would be way closer than any other charter clubs.

How do you like your bike? Gone on any longer trips?

Kevin

What's worse than learning to ride at 50? Not learning to ride at all!

Welcome! Age is just a number and we're glad you're here.

Hi Craig,

Do you know anything about the club that is trying to form in Hyde Park? Larry Wilson is hoping to get the Hudson River Riders up and running again. If they form, it would be way closer than any other charter clubs.

How do you like your bike? Gone on any longer trips?

Kevin

Nope, haven't heard anything about that club, but I'm not really in the club scene either. Sounds like a good group if it gets up and running!

I love my RT. I had an F800ST before it, and while that is also a great bike, the ergos made it tough to ride for more than an hour or so without taking a break. Some days I do miss it, but I have been pleased with the RT and find it much more comfortable than the F800 for those longer days in the saddle. I have done some multi-day rides and it is great. My riding buddy and I are hoping to take a few days and do the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Hi Stig,

I use my bike for commuting, but the first weekend after I got it I took a camping trip to Valley Forge PA. About 180mi. I could not wait to get off the seat. Over the winter, I sent my seat to Russel seats in CA. Lost a mild winter but when I got it back, I took a ride up to Platsburg NY.... about 500mi in one day in cold and wet conditions, no pain. That was the best money spent
on my bike . Now I think I'm ready for a cross country trip.

The R1200RT is a great bike. The one I got has most all of the bells and wistles. I couldn't think of any other ride I could want for road work. If I get another bike It would be a G650GS in a low seat for gravel and black top.

Kevin

I think most people agree that the stock seats are pretty lousy for more than an hour or so at a time. I did the same thing this past winter... sent my stock seat to Russell and had it converted into their Sport Seat (which is essentially the Day Long minus the suspension spring). The Russell is definitely all day comfortable, but unfortunately for me, even with the slightly lower SS, I can't get my feet down enough to feel comfortable. So the Russell will be going in the Flea Market and I replaced it the other day with the BMW Comfort Seat. The CS so far is not quite as comfy as the Russell, but better than the stock seat and, for me, a good compromise between comfort and stability. I'm going to post a comparison in the Gear section probably next week with some pics of both seats.

Funny you should mention the G650GS... I rode the F650GS (twin) as a loaner bike last year and went from thinking that it would be horrible to honestly considering one if I had enough dough to buy a 2nd bike. There is definitely something appealing about a smaller, lightweight ADV bike.

Again, best of luck with the RT.

Craig

Back