• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

tracking

f14rio

my rig (triumph with a small cosy sidecar} does not track absolutely straight under all conditions. a road camber may cause slight right drift . wind drag (commences around 65 mph) also causes the same thing. tire pressures (25 psi front 35 psi rear, 22 psi sidecar) are all good.
seems to behave the same with and without a load.
is this the same or similar experience most folks here have?
thx,
ed

Yes. A rig will only track straight at one speed. That speed will be determined by the toe-in and lean out and may vary with road crown. My Ural was set-up by the dealer with very little toe-in and at speeds above 45 MPH pulled to the right much more than I liked. I increased toe-in to 10mm with 3 degrees lean-out and find it much more comfortable to control at highway speeds.

Leading-Link Forks

If a rig has conventional forks (vs. Telelever), you can purchase an aftermarket leading link front end. Mine has Unit Front forks (UK), which cost around $1,500 many years ago, but they may be almost the same now. LOTS of dough? You betcha. Worth every dime? You betcha.

If you've never driven a rig with this upgrade, you have NO idea how much better it can be. Prior to adding these, my '80 Naked Wing (hey, it's a Boxer, too) was something of a beast in the twisties. Now? It SNEERS at twisties -- virtually NO steering effort, and it tracks like an arrow at all speeds, all the way to the speedo "peg" at 85 mph, and beyond. (The needle stops, the outfit just keeps going, and you still feel in control.)

Walking Eagle

Second the Motion

I second Walking Eagle's endorsement of Unit Forks. My 1987 K100LT w/ Hannigan came with them when I bought the rig in 2007. My previous rig was an Earles fork /2, which I gave good steering. The Unit Forks provide very light and quick steering, to the point of slight oversteer. Well worth the money.

Back