• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

S1000 Sales Halted!

Timing

What is the timeframe that you owners in the US are hearing about parts being delivered to your dealers? In Canada, we are still about two weeks away from dealers getting the new parts to fix the bike.

Suttie: we're not even hearing that!

I tried to cajole the mechanic into going ahead and doing the repair with me paying and getting refunded when the fix comes out, but as far as my shop knows, BMW still hasn't come out with a hard fix procedure. They do not know if the existing con-rod bolts will be re-used and new hi-temp loctite applied, or if BMW will provide new con-rod bolts and loctite. They didn't want to do it, even with me paying beforehand because if what they do isn't the "official" fix, then they'll have to do it again. I understand this but having a track day Saturday that is Duck-Full (must be the only time those bikes come out of their garages :brad ) makes me really, really want my RR. As does the 2275' front straight on the track...but you never even take a 1% risk. 3 quarts of hot oil on a hot racetrack could add up to lots of injuries, so it'll be in the garage until it is fixed.

Having to strip and ride my GSA on a track day is a mental challenge of sorts. On the plus side, it won't arrive on a trailer since it's a BMW twin :dance I'll ride it there, tape the lights and warning light (it comes on when you disconnect the lamps), remove the panniers and back seat, and presto. Same thing in reverse at end of the day, and ride home. Will not be sore or tired either - yes, I am searching for positives on the situation.

On the splitting cases question; it looks like it will have to be done that way since there is lots of baffling in the bottom of the motor that will prevent getting a wrench up to the crank.

I did send a letter to BMW customer relations explaining my track day financial loss and applied honey along with the vinegar. Haven't given my dealer a hard time at all as their hands are tied and they would help if they had everything.

My TLS motor rebuild ran into some leak-down issues on the exhaust side due to exhaust valves being incorrectly machined (flange edges too thick and if they are machined down there are tolerance issues due to exhaust heat) - yes they will fix it but it adds more time to the no-sportbike situation. :cry

I haven't looked into it carefully, but isn't there a pan on the bottom of the engine so "tear down" seems a little strong for what it may require to torque the bod bolts.

I read somewhere that the engine has to be taken out and the cases split...so tear down sounds not so strong now :)

I tried to cajole the mechanic into going ahead and doing the repair with me paying and getting refunded when the fix comes out, but as far as my shop knows, BMW still hasn't come out with a hard fix procedure. They do not know if the existing con-rod bolts will be re-used and new hi-temp loctite applied, or if BMW will provide new con-rod bolts and loctite. They didn't want to do it, even with me paying beforehand because if what they do isn't the "official" fix, then they'll have to do it again....

snip

Well, I guess if there is some kind of warranty issue later on, it's good that you wait for the official fix. But, there is a procedure with new bolts and a torque proceedure on the RSD. What would be wrong with that proceedure which has been good for these engines for two years or so.

Tomorrow is the day

Well, folks, I should get my bike back tomorrow, in time for a track day on Monday, and even a sunny day!!

My service mgr at the dealership said the connecting rod bolts were torqued correctly, but there was no Loctite on them. The procedure took about 8 hours, with about 20 parts (including gaskets, etc) replaced. No metal in the oil, at all, so it appears no damage to the bike.

They will be delivering the bike around noon after testing it, so I am awaiting the rush past 12,000 revs tomorrow afternoon.

BTW, I received my recall notice on Thursday afternoon from BMW Canada telling me about the issue. It told me less about the issue than what I already knew from BMW ON two months ago. Disappointing.

But let's hope our bikes are OK.

Awesome!

Good to hear one is being repaired! Not-so-good to hear about the missing loc-tite...things may be more than the 1% initially reported. I will add my results to the thread.

My dealer has all parts for mine except for a gasket or 2; and so I probably won't see mine till next weekend.

Good job to the MOA and forum, and a "shoulda done better" to the corporate types.

Loc-tite was not the problem according to BMW NA

Good to hear one is being repaired! Not-so-good to hear about the missing loc-tite...things may be more than the 1% initially reported. I will add my results to the thread.

My dealer has all parts for mine except for a gasket or 2; and so I probably won't see mine till next weekend.

Good job to the MOA and forum, and a "shoulda done better" to the corporate types.

I spoke with Anthony Cavanaugh at BMW NA and he said that the problem was caused by an anti-seizure coating being placed on the rod bolts by the bolt manufacture. This anti-seizure coating is what caused the problem.

I spoke with Anthony Cavanaugh at BMW NA and he said that the problem was caused by an anti-seizure coating being placed on the rod bolts by the bolt manufacture. This anti-seizure coating is what caused the problem.
The thread you responded to is a year old. OM

I am aware of that. But is was not the torque that caused the problem

According to BMW NA they discovered that was the anti-seizure coating on the bolts put on there by the bolt manufacture that caused the bolts to back out. The coating caused the torque value to be incorrect.

According to BMW NA they discovered that was the anti-seizure coating on the bolts put on there by the bolt manufacture that caused the bolts to back out. The coating caused the torque value to be incorrect.

Yes, old issue here.

Maybe, but this is more like a mistakes-that-can-happen issue as opposed to defects. Every OEM alive goes thru issues that most are never aware of. Let's modify that sentence: Every business alive goes thru issues that most are never aware of. Examine your own workplace for examples. Whether one believes these issues should arise is one thing but the realization that they do indeed occur is reality. BMW discovered the problem and corrected it in both dealerships and the assembly line. I'm OK with this one.

There is a huge difference between mistakes and defects.

Last edited:
This is old news and all affected bikes have been corrected.

Yes, old news. And, maybe all S1000RR's have been corrected but I'm not sure how you can tell that. If you're in the market for an S1000RR, or any BMW for that matter prior to purchase take the last 7 characters and give it to your BMW dealer. Within a matter of seconds they can advise you of recall status.

We had a policy where we ran the vin for 100% of all created repair orders and then some. Please note: many dealers do NOT take the time to do this - you may need to ask your dealer to do so. It was common to come across units a number of years old that still had outstanding recalls. Other dealerships had not taken the time to check status.

And then there is this little tidbit: more than once I've seen dealers submit warranties for work never performed in order to receive a payment. Exceptionally profitable until you get caught. Try to be aware of recall's and review your repair order whenever work is performed. Ask questions as MANY, MANY repair orders are written poorly and do not clearly explain what took place in the shop. Prior to paying for the repair order do a proper review and make sure it is clearly stated as to what took place. Once the repair order is cashiered it is extremely difficult to correct errors although it is possible. Typically you need permissions and the store must be closed. Or, everyone needs to log off the system. Not practical during working hours. The time for correction is PRIOR to making payment, not after.

Also, make it a practice to check your vin maybe 3 to 4 times a year. It's a freebie and it may prove worthwhile for your own safety.

Back