Thread: S1000 Sales Halted!

Hybrid View

S1000 Sales Halted!

What gives? My boss is also co-owner of the local BMW dealership and told me that they have been instructed to halt all sales of the s1000, any models in stock are to be removed from the floor and anyone with a deposit pending is to be told the unit has been delayed until further notice from Germany.

Check over on the Pelican forum, some rumor about bad connecting rods and each bike in a certain VIN range have to be pulled and inspected, so goes the rumor.

robert.bantly

Unhappy No Rumor

Just stopped by my dealer and it isn't a rumor. The FAQ sheet I got says app. 1414 2012 S1000rr's are affected, produced between Sep.1 2011 and April 10, 2012. Sadly, mine was built Nov. 2011 - decode your VIN to find out.
    However, dealer says a lot more were produced than 1414 so it may not affect every S1000rr produced during that time window. Awaiting phone call Monday to see if mine is affected.

Bit disappointing, as I am totally not comfortable with the possibility of engine seizure and / or oil under a seized rear tire as a result. Mine'll be parked in the garage until I find out. Especially since it's made to ride "spiritedly."

I should at least have the TL back together in the next week or 2, and the GS as always is a reliable pal.

The S1000RR has a slipper clutch. If the engine seized the rear shouldn't seize with it.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Was speaking with our local service manager yesterday.
    Apparantly there is a robot that torques the rod bolts. At some point during the production run it malfunctioned and did not torque them tight enough. They are trying to find out when the torque changed so they will know what bikes were produced after the malfunction.

He said they seem to like to come apart at 13,000 rpm.

Ken
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

3 pts to BMW for catching this and taking immediate steps to deal with it.

I've run highly automated production plans with robotic stuff and one of the amusements of this stuff is though it is very reproducible if working well and saves human labor - when it goofs off you may not know it unless you have real time sensors for the function that are independent of the action mechanism. Apparently their device lacks this (or they ould have caught it immediately and no bad product would have been made) and they found out the hard way from field failures. At the factory, the remedy is easy but this will be a pita for them in the field so congrats for dealing with it even though its initially painful.

Its the right thing to do for both customers and the firms reputation but sometimes firms lose that perspective. Points to them for clear thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by robert.bantly View Post
    Has anyone seen a complete list of VIN's affected yet?
    Robert, I don't think there's going to be a VIN list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken F View Post
    Was speaking with our local service manager yesterday.
    Apparantly there is a robot that torques the rod bolts. At some point during the production run it malfunctioned and did not torque them tight enough. They are trying to find out when the torque changed so they will know what bikes were produced after the malfunction.
    If Ken's service manager's report is true, then there was an intermittent robot malfunction between September 2011 and April 2012. Because the fault was intermittent, only some bikes built between those dates were assembled with incorrectly-torqued rod bolts. Because it can't be determined if a particular bike built within that time period was assembled correctly or incorrectly, all bikes in that range must be torn down and reassembled.

I'd feel unhappy about having my machine torn down, but I'd be unhappier if it failed.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Timing

What is the timeframe that you owners in the US are hearing about parts being delivered to your dealers? In Canada, we are still about two weeks away from dealers getting the new parts to fix the bike.
    James
    Vancouver, BC

BMW R1200 GS, BMW S1000RR, Porsche 911 GT3 RS, Porsche Boxster S

robert.bantly

Suttie: we're not even hearing that!

I tried to cajole the mechanic into going ahead and doing the repair with me paying and getting refunded when the fix comes out, but as far as my shop knows, BMW still hasn't come out with a hard fix procedure. They do not know if the existing con-rod bolts will be re-used and new hi-temp loctite applied, or if BMW will provide new con-rod bolts and loctite. They didn't want to do it, even with me paying beforehand because if what they do isn't the "official" fix, then they'll have to do it again. I understand this but having a track day Saturday that is Duck-Full (must be the only time those bikes come out of their garages ) makes me really, really want my RR. As does the 2275' front straight on the track...but you never even take a 1% risk. 3 quarts of hot oil on a hot racetrack could add up to lots of injuries, so it'll be in the garage until it is fixed.

Having to strip and ride my GSA on a track day is a mental challenge of sorts. On the plus side, it won't arrive on a trailer since it's a BMW twin I'll ride it there, tape the lights and warning light (it comes on when you disconnect the lamps), remove the panniers and back seat, and presto. Same thing in reverse at end of the day, and ride home. Will not be sore or tired either - yes, I am searching for positives on the situation.

On the splitting cases question; it looks like it will have to be done that way since there is lots of baffling in the bottom of the motor that will prevent getting a wrench up to the crank.

I did send a letter to BMW customer relations explaining my track day financial loss and applied honey along with the vinegar. Haven't given my dealer a hard time at all as their hands are tied and they would help if they had everything.

My TLS motor rebuild ran into some leak-down issues on the exhaust side due to exhaust valves being incorrectly machined (flange edges too thick and if they are machined down there are tolerance issues due to exhaust heat) - yes they will fix it but it adds more time to the no-sportbike situation.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robert.bantly View Post
    I tried to cajole the mechanic into going ahead and doing the repair with me paying and getting refunded when the fix comes out, but as far as my shop knows, BMW still hasn't come out with a hard fix procedure. They do not know if the existing con-rod bolts will be re-used and new hi-temp loctite applied, or if BMW will provide new con-rod bolts and loctite. They didn't want to do it, even with me paying beforehand because if what they do isn't the "official" fix, then they'll have to do it again....

snip
    Well, I guess if there is some kind of warranty issue later on, it's good that you wait for the official fix. But, there is a procedure with new bolts and a torque proceedure on the RSD. What would be wrong with that proceedure which has been good for these engines for two years or so.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Tomorrow is the day

Well, folks, I should get my bike back tomorrow, in time for a track day on Monday, and even a sunny day!!

My service mgr at the dealership said the connecting rod bolts were torqued correctly, but there was no Loctite on them. The procedure took about 8 hours, with about 20 parts (including gaskets, etc) replaced. No metal in the oil, at all, so it appears no damage to the bike.

They will be delivering the bike around noon after testing it, so I am awaiting the rush past 12,000 revs tomorrow afternoon.

BTW, I received my recall notice on Thursday afternoon from BMW Canada telling me about the issue. It told me less about the issue than what I already knew from BMW ON two months ago. Disappointing.

But let's hope our bikes are OK.
    James
    Vancouver, BC

BMW R1200 GS, BMW S1000RR, Porsche 911 GT3 RS, Porsche Boxster S

robert.bantly

Awesome!

Good to hear one is being repaired! Not-so-good to hear about the missing loc-tite...things may be more than the 1% initially reported. I will add my results to the thread.

My dealer has all parts for mine except for a gasket or 2; and so I probably won't see mine till next weekend.

Good job to the MOA and forum, and a "shoulda done better" to the corporate types.