• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

pretty decent article on the triumph tiger explored in cycle world

f14rio

seems to be a quality machine. should be good competition for the GS which should result in some improvements. it is heavier, not sure by how much.

Triumph%20Tiger%20Explorer%2012.jpg

Last edited:
Rode the 1050 Tiger last year and was very impressed. this baby has way more grunt and goodies. Should be interesting!

Explorer

I moved from a Tiger 1050 to a 2012 RT this year. I wanted something more oriented for touring. The Triumph Triple engines are very smooth. Triumph is very aggressive and has solid sales growth with BMW as its target. They will be bringing out the new Trophy next year which is a RT clone and will use a variation of the Explorer engine. It is probably a good thing that BMW is going to water cooled to stay competitive. It would have been a tough decision for me if the Trophy was already out. I have put 3200 miles on my RT since the end of January and have really have enjoyed it. Have been getting the bike set up the way I want it. I am really surprised how well it handles and look forward to extended touring this summer once I recover from shoulder surgery.

all reports to date, including feedback from Triumph dealer, is that this bike is really more of a Ducati Multistrada- really oriented for street use, with ergos for dirt. look at the tires, dead giveaway that the bike is really more street focused than is a GS.
that aside- looks to be a nice ride.
took a 1050 Tiger out as a 2 day loaner- very fun, great motor, awesome brakes, very good handling; but i could not really see what it was supposed to be. clearly not a dirt capable machine, but neither was it quite set up to be a streetfighter (that would be Speed3 territory), nor as a tourer. i guess just a competent and fun standard?

I really like the 1050 Tiger. I have been able to spend a bit of time one a couple. The Speedtriple is a bare knuckles street fighting hooligan while the soon to be old Tiger was more of an urban warrior. Great engine, more human riding position, nimble commuter/sport bike and could deal with the gravel road to my friends cabin as good as my Roadster.

The new bike shares its drive train with next years new release Trophy. Depending on what and where you read the release dates were more a marketing decision. It makes a great deal of sense for Triumph's product line and cost containment as it tries compete in the 'adventure' and touring categories.

It doesn't matter to me if it looks top heavy or it carries its low, tall or short; to me this class of bikes are turning into big and heavy panzer wagons. I wish my oilhead Roadster had their power. None of them has impressed me enough to move from the parts counter to the sales floor when I open my wallet.

Several of my Triumph riding friends have purchased the 1050 Tiger, they all rave about them.

A couple have picked up used 800 models and speak very highly about them also.

As with all those styled bikes , a person needs even longer legs than what BMW calls for to be comfortable on the Triumph's, IMHO ( being of the short leg proportion)

I am told the new version 1200 with shaft drive can easily be set up lower.
I don't need or want that much power in a motorcycle. Too bad they do not make the 800 in a shaft drive or I'd be campaigning here at home for one.

No idea about the new one but the 1050 Tiger is a bit tall. I use the center stand on my Roadster all the time but found I used the side stand with the Tiger. Other than that bit no big deal.

Back