• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GS911 needed in/near NYC

M

Monsignore

I've had some throttle/idle gremlins rolling around my '05 R1200gs for nigh-on a year now, and I think I've narrowed it down to the throttle potentiometer thingy, or maybe the stepper motors. I can't afford dealer labor rates, and small-shop rates might be a little tight, too. I was hoping someone with a GS911 might find it in the kindness of their heart to have me over so I can plug Threepio into the hyperdrive to see what's the matter.

I can pay cash, or in booze, coffee, organic grass-fed sirloin, etc.

I live in Astoria, Queens and am willing to travel around 2 hours to get to you.

Thanks! :drink

I don't have the 911-yet so I can't help you there. What I can do is say Welcome to the forum! Great and funny 1st post. Good luck, let us know how you make out.
BTW, while you are waiting, you could check out the GS 911 Walk-through in the DIY section of the Hexhead/Camhead part of the forum-kinda get yourself acquainted with it. Gary

My GS-911 was shipped this morning. I should have it in a few days. I work in Yonkers and live in Beacon.

I copied and pasted your request and sent it to some NYC dwellers I know. I hope they know what a 911 tool is or someone who does.

Thanks, folks. And Omega, yeah, maybe I shoulda introduced my self first...

Instead, here's what going on with the bike:

'05 R1200GS, 52,xxx miles, I'm the 3rd owner and have had it for just over a year. Previous owner had clutch seals-n-stuff replaced around 35,xxx miles. The bike suffered a pretty hard tip-over in May during a big rainstorm.

What happens is the bike will run fine for a while, then suddenly at idle the revs will either waver up and down rrRRRrrRRRrrRRRrr or go to 2000rpm or suddenly drop below 1100rpm and the bike will stall. Or any combination of the above. I've cleaned the throttle bodies, replaced all three throttle cables, soaked the idle control devices in spirits, replaced the air cleaner, done valve adjustments & TB synchs.

The reason I suspect the throttle potentiometer is when the idle starts to go weird I can wiggle the TPS and the weirdness stops. I want to have the GS911 check to make sure it's the TPS before I buy a new one, or sort out any other gremlins that might rolling around in there.

My '911 arrived in today's mail. I work weekends in Yonkers, you could stop by at 2:30 (quitting time) and we could check it out. PM me for details.

After spending an hour around the back entrance of the Yonkers bus depot with a guy I met on the internet and his mechanic buddies plugging his special tool into the outlet under my seat, we still don't know what's wrong with my motorcycle.

The GS911 said noting about the TPS. It had plenty of other things to say. Several ABS fault codes, CAN-BUS communication faults, and a cam position sensor thingy.

As far as the specific wacky throttle issue, sedanman suggested dribbling propane (unlit!) on the throttle bodies to see if that causes a change in idle. If yes, then there's an air leak. If no, hire an exorcist.

And who says New Yorkers don't have a sense of humor... :D Not sure of the propane but I understand where the advice is trying to take you. I generally us Gumout aerosol carb cleaner. With the plastic straw I can pin-point it to the areas in question. At least your making new friends in the big city. :brad

Propane vs. carb cleaner. If you get over enthusiastic with carb cleaner it can pool up and if there is a spark, you have a fire with a fuel source. With propane there is no chance of forming a puddle of fuel. Yes a spark can still cause a fire but it's less of a sustained event. Typically you end up with a little flash and a lit torch. Also carb cleaner can hurt paint and plastic.

So I gave this a shot today. I used starter fluid instead of propane, cuz I already had a can on hand and didn't want to buy a propane torch for which I have no use. And I already have far too many volatile chemicals in the hall closet.

As luck would have it, there were two FDNY ambulances and a supervisor truck parked ten feet away for another call, so if anything went ka-blooie, I felt pretty secure about immediate treatment.

So I sprayed every possible air entry point I could see on both throttle bodies. No change in idle whatsoever. I even gave the cam sensor plug a shot, too, since that was one of the fault codes the GS911 threw up :)sick).

I'm planning a ride up to Max BMW in Troy tomorrow to get out and ride and go somewhere. I'll see if they have an idle control device since mine look like this (The marring on the right one troubles me):

Attachments

• 6849019292_7945fc7f56_z.jpg
    6849019292_7945fc7f56_z.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 29
Max has free pick up & drop off - uses it all the time - Get major work done over the winter rates are cheaper as well FYI

Back