• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Trailer hitch for 06 R1200RT

zekezeller

Has anyone had luck finding a hitch for the 1200RT? If so, do you recommend it. How much weight can I pull, my Bunkhouse trailer has brakes.
Thanks,
Bill

RT Hitch

Bill

DMC makes a nice hitch fot the R1200RT - just installed one on my RT. I choose it over the Bushtec for several reasons. It is rated to pull more than the Bushtec and I think it looks better on the bike. It does take some modification of the bike, but nothing drastic. I have a Bushtec trailer and a camping trailer similar to the weight of a bunkhouse.

http://www.dmcsidecars.com/

Tom

Clicked on DMC link and no RT hitch product?

Clicked on the above link and did not see a R1200RT hitch. Although in the past they did make them. I bought one for my 2012 R1200RT and nothing but problems, a bolt on the right side hit the frame everytime I hit a small bump, and the longitutional connection to the frame rubber my inside of the system cases.
Although they were great to deal with in returning the hitch, they could not explain why there were these problems. It almost felt like I had done something wrong, but seeing they no longer offer R1200RT hitches of any year may indicate I wasn't the only person to have issues with their hitch.
I would still like a hitch but I also think the Bushtec hitch looks cheap and flimsy.
Ride Safe,
Robert

Clicked on the above link and did not see a R1200RT hitch. Although in the past they did make them. I bought one for my 2012 R1200RT and nothing but problems, a bolt on the right side hit the frame everytime I hit a small bump, and the longitutional connection to the frame rubber my inside of the system cases.
Although they were great to deal with in returning the hitch, they could not explain why there were these problems. It almost felt like I had done something wrong, but seeing they no longer offer R1200RT hitches of any year may indicate I wasn't the only person to have issues with their hitch.
I would still like a hitch but I also think the Bushtec hitch looks cheap and flimsy.
Ride Safe,
Robert

At first I thought it was nice I too had the problems you mentioned. I had a good go-a-round with them, when they also implied I made an error in the installation. I kept mine, had a welding shop modify it to correct the issues, and now it works well. I would not deal with them again

At first I thought it was nice I too had the problems you mentioned. I had a good go-a-round with them, when they also implied I made an error in the installation. I kept mine, had a welding shop modify it to correct the issues, and now it works well. I would not deal with them again

Same thing, they implied it was poor installation! Sounds like a canned excuse to me. And probably if you take it to a welding shop they could modify the hitch. I just don't have a welding shop handy.
They just NEVER look at the newer RTs a to make a revision to their product.
Ride Safe,

Bushtec Hitch

I have a Bushtec hitch on my 2005 R1200RT to pull a Bushtec trailer. They have two versions - a ball and a pin. It's black powder coated and very strong. Has several attach points to the bikes frame that fit perfectly. It's very rugged. I car rear ended me (very slow inattentive on the phone type) while we were waiting for the light to change. It punctured his front bumper and did no damage to the hitch or bike.

http://store.bushtec.com/BMW-Motorcycle-Hitches-from-Bushtec-s/21.htm

Call Bushtec, they now own and build Bunkhouse trailers. I'm sure their hitch will be up to the task.

Back