• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

gas leak

jwadedtx

Hi All,

I haven't read much about this but my mechanic says it's pretty common. I have an 03 RT and I noticed my gas mileage started to go down. A week later I noticed that the bike always smelled like gas and several days after that I saw a small puddle of gas under the right side of the bike almost under the front foot peg. I took it over to the shop and when I got half way through the story he said "and there was a small puddle of gas under the right side of the bike." Apparently the quick disconnects for the gas tank are made of plastic and over time they crack. He popped the body work off the right side and had the whole thing done in shorter time than it would have taken me just to take off the plastic. I was surprised to see the disconnect leaking fuel with a visible crack. He replaced the two onnections with metal ones and says more recent bikes come with metal connectors from the factory. Just curious, anyone else had this?

Jon

Hi All,

I haven't read much about this but my mechanic says it's pretty common. I have an 03 RT and I noticed my gas mileage started to go down. A week later I noticed that the bike always smelled like gas and several days after that I saw a small puddle of gas under the right side of the bike almost under the front foot peg. I took it over to the shop and when I got half way through the story he said "and there was a small puddle of gas under the right side of the bike." Apparently the quick disconnects for the gas tank are made of plastic and over time they crack. He popped the body work off the right side and had the whole thing done in shorter time than it would have taken me just to take off the plastic. I was surprised to see the disconnect leaking fuel with a visible crack. He replaced the two onnections with metal ones and says more recent bikes come with metal connectors from the factory. Just curious, anyone else had this?

Jon

First off, welcome to the forum!
I think almost everyone with the plastic disconnects will tell you that they have cracked, broken or otherwise caused issues. Most folks here recommend if your bike still has them to exchange them for good quality metal ones to prevent failure. Leaking gas on a hot bike is dangerous.
The replacement of choice around here seems to be these: http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html

I used these on my R1100RT: http://tinyurl.com/4hy7x8f

There are a lot of threads here on this subject like this one: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=52141

Thanks for the replies.

George at Beemers Uber Alles in Bristow, VA put on metal fittings. So far it's great and it's nice to walk into my garage and not get light headed. I was surprised but I'm not upset about it. 30K on the bike and this is the first problem. I am pleased.

Jon

Back