• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire Size and Brand K1200LT

K

kwdelong

On K1200LT, currently Avon Storms. Thinking about trying the new Michelins. They don't match up size exactly. Current:
front tire = 120/70-17 and closest Michelin = 120/90-17. The back tire size matches. Do you think this will be noticed?

Yep, 120/70 17 is the standard front on so many BMWs and other brands in all types of riding style. Got one on each bike and one waiting in the wings....one a MeZr, one a Pilot Road 2ct, one a Pilot Power 2ct. I have installed about 20 of them on the RS of all brands and many different hardness'....
That is one tall tire to be 90% of the width...I wonder if it would fit under the fender?

kwdelong (real name?)..

Please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=46057 - this info is probably sort of vital since you're asking for a specific recommendation for a specific bike.

As far as going from a 70 series to a 90 series - that will increase the diameter of the front tire, and raise the front suspension. I'm sure there are tire calculators that can tell you by how much. Generally raising the front suspension increases the camber, which makes it turn in slower, but also makes it more stable in a straight line. Depending on how enthusiastically you ride, you may notice a difference. If the width is the same (and I believe it is) - there shouldn't be a problem seating it on the rim, but I would have some concern if it would clear the front fender (due to the larger diameter.)

I do believe the only tires rated for the K1200LT are the Metzeler ME880 Marathon, Bridgestone Battleax BT020 and one of the Avon Storms. So the Michelins are probably not rated for it, yet.

As Chris pointed out, LT's only have three tire options as of now. The difference seems to be soft to hard. Avon = soft, Metz = hard, 'stones inbetween. There's better traction with soft, but less mileage. Up to you to determine what means the most, performance or pocketbook. I use Metz and don't have an issue with the performance, but then my chicken stripe isn't all that wide even though I scrape my pegs fairly often.

HTH,
Jer

K1200LT tires

The K1200 LT, IMHO, perform best with the Metz. 880 Marathon. Good in rain good traction , and good mileage out of a set. I have had 4 sets on my LT and have been very satisfied with there performance. I have also pulled our mc trailer many thousands of miles without an issue. While pulling a trailer, we are also riding two up. We have been in all directions while temps. have been from 40 - 105 degrees. Do I feel safe with the 880 marathons? Dog gone right. If something works well, don't change it...

Radials don't work too well on the LT. The rears rub the swingarm and aren't reinforced for the weight of the LT. The rear is a 79V rated bias ply tire. Numerous tires will fit the front with only a 58V rating. I tried a radial front once. It was a Bridgestone Battlax BT-023 GT heavy weight rated tire. It felt really sticky on the secondary roads, but always felt loose on the interstate. I was hoping for better mileage than the BT-020 fronts I had been using. I've since gone to a Metzeler front, BT-020 rear. Best combination of grip and mileage. Several of us in NC are running this same combination. I have approx. 10,000 miles on the front with plenty of tread left. Probably another 3000-5000 miles before replacement. The BT-020 rears will travel approx. 22,000 miles before needing to be replaced.

I've run the combination of the Bridgestone BT-020 on the rear and the ME880 up front in the past and went back to it this past weekend. I've put well over 13,000 miles on a rear BT020 in the past and only replaced it due to a puncture repair that started to leak again after MANY miles. I just had a rear ME880 take a slice from a road hazard and started a slow leak. My trusted tire guy said don't repair it based on where it was. I wanted to put on another ME880 but when the BT020 was $90.00 less........:bolt
I will probably never put a front BT020 on again as they wear out way too quick.

Back