• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Annoymous book etiquette kk

LuckyGrownup

Hi, I have only been in the MOA for a year. I am listed on page 97, right hand column, 4th down with the codes c,kk,ws,wt. How come nobody has called me yet :dunno for kk ? Is it 'etiquette' to call other people in my area for kk ?

There are other posts about the book. Few people get calls, and I think more are for help. I for one support a change to the book codes. The idea, for example, is that you DON'T use the book for a 'free night sleep." Yet, I have such accomodations and would be more than happy to supply a free camping/sleeping space.

You seek kk, but few will ever call. Maybe we should have capital letters. Like KK means call me, and capitals for camping/lodging mean no problem to come by for free sleeps.

That would be great, but I don't think anyone actually PLANS to use the book, it is looked at as a tool. It is like those wrenches and tire plugs in your bag, you have them just in case.
I have a back yard (not the cleanest) with a fire ring and wood and plenty of covered parking if it was needed, but I don't have a campground ready for steady flow of travelers if you know what I mean.

Rob, that is a fantastic idea! I think there ought to be a way to differentiate members who only want to be contacted in an emergency from those offering something along the lines of the Tent Space thread on ADVRider.com

When planning a route I often note the kk and camping space entries which sound really inviting, but the verbiage from MOA makes it sound like calling one of those members for camping space or to meet for coffee and a discussion of local roads is Discouraged with a capital D.

I have 150 forested acres in Vermont. I listed kk, camping space, workshop with tire changer, truck with trailer...and would love someone to call me, but so far nothing.

Pete

I live at the bottom of the Beartooth Mtns. I get a few calls form people in need of help.

I also have back yard that I would let someone camp, but like the other poster said, I am not running a campground!

Stop by for some coffee, sure.....

I'm currently working out a route that will take me by all your guys houses for camping in your back yards. :thumb
The route is messed up by repeated side trips to brewmeister's house for another beer but beer with me, I'll publish the route when done.

Seriously, I think "Camp in back yard" would be a good addition to the book.
I would've offered this to some BMW guys I saw passing through but they went by too fast.
For those of us who Guerrilla camp, sanctioned back yards are way better.

Yeah, I have my listing with trailer and workshop, too. And if someone on the road just called because they wanted to change their oil, that would be fine with me. I'm not much for sitting around and just talking, but chatting while wrenching works well.

I'm in Raleigh if anyone is passing through.

I've been in the book for about 9 years, never a call.

I offer all kinds of things, and thought I'd get a call or two a year, but so far nada.

Not to brag but just saying we do have a great network.

I had great experiences allowing MOA and Horizon Unlimited members to come and stay at the farm and expect to get food and drink. I have a shower, bath tub, guest rooms, garage, office space to do your email to blogs, a big backyard of about 100 acres with wild animals from bear that disturb my bird feeder to many deer that guard my driveway, a murder of crows, a few hawks, two falcons and owls that will keep you awake if you are sleeping in a tent. No I am not Harry Potter or Harry Pothead, but bring your own. Beyond my backyard is an approved MSF Dirt Bike School space that was used by BMW Motorrad / Rawhyde and MOA during the Bloomsburg rally. One can practice skills before going beyond the horizon if you don't have the time or money for Advlife. There is no code for my GS School but I am not an expert nor invented the adventure lifestyle.

I am currently housing two motorcycles belonging to members, one is on the road with another but this one is from Spain and the other is an Australian KLR whose owner in return has built me a bike to use there ( :thumb ) and for them I even provide airport pickup. No code for that. I have also been thinking of a bike share arrangements with people I know or at least met which would need a code.

I also offer logistics and fixer duties to travelers. I have a more credibility on Horizons Unlimited and but many MOAers have been here too. What is great is I can USE those new friends to help me or another. So in reality this is all paid forward and it is codeless. Thanks to this growing network I have been able to rescue a broken bike and stranded motorcyclist in the Brazilian alps, an injured motorcyclist in Mexico City and even had someone secure the bike while they were in hospital. Then getting her MD in the EU in touch with a Trauma MD here before air travel, then get the bike to the US and them back home on a repeat trip. I pulled off a rescue operation in Columbia of a missing on purpose GSer with the HU Community. The community found a wrecked bike in Nigeria while the rider was Med Evaced to South Africa, when they arrive an MOA member took an spare laptop to them so they would be connected with concern family. Recently we had to get a battery for a French GS in North Africa by working with a Spanish Dakar team in training and a French tour operator in Morroco ...... we found one. In some of these mentioned stories the Anonymous Book was used or people using it to reach me that later need the contact again.

The Anonymous Book was called upon to get in touch with members that could help a Spanish GSer, author and MOAer Miquel Silvestre to did stories about us as he toured North America. This built his moto-travel resume in the EU beyond being a best selling author. Today he is sponsored by Motorrad Spain as he travels the world in search of Forgotten Spanish Explorers and Monks. By the way the photo-journalist traveling with him will be the first Spanish Woman to have traveled around the world on a motorcycle ..... as far as I have been told. :thumb Plus they don't have a support truck !

There are many more stories like this because of opening a page, or my home, or my life to fellow riders. It even helped me help storied riders become BMW certified presenters. I am currently helping Tiffany Coates who will be at our rally in Missouri and I hope she uses her book.

ALL I ask is please help another rider somewhere down the road with whatever means you have or wish and you don't even have to say a word about it. I am embaressed that I have but I want to show the power of our benfit and what I can do for YOU. And don't worry about someone stealing from you because they can't haul too much being on a motorcycle. :dunno

I'm always looking for a destination in Vermont when riding north from the Benningtpon area...thinking of running Rt.100 from MA to Canada...can I stop by for a visit?

Rob, that is a fantastic idea! I think there ought to be a way to differentiate members who only want to be contacted in an emergency from those offering something along the lines of the Tent Space thread on ADVRider.com

When planning a route I often note the kk and camping space entries which sound really inviting, but the verbiage from MOA makes it sound like calling one of those members for camping space or to meet for coffee and a discussion of local roads is Discouraged with a capital D.

I have 150 forested acres in Vermont. I listed kk, camping space, workshop with tire changer, truck with trailer...and would love someone to call me, but so far nothing.

Pete

I'm always looking for a destination in Vermont when riding north from the Benningtpon area...thinking of running Rt.100 from MA to Canada...can I stop by for a visit?

Absolutely! Barley and I will be camping the last weekend in April so that's out. And we still have a couple of pregnant ewes about ready to pop, so be prepared to find us busy and slimed if the lambs arrive. But absolutely!

Oh, one last thing. A few friends with big touring bikes (Wings with traction control, etc) are unable to make it up our dirt road. I see you have a GSA in the mix, so no trouble there.

PM me when you're thinking of coming up.

Pete

After we/I list our phone number in the A book it's obvious that we/I are willing to take a call,that's what it's for, after all. Thing is, most ( not anyone's more like it) don't plan a trip around the fact that my place is available for camping, thus it goes unused despite the offer. Long time members with a social network within this club probably get the occasional visitor. The one time I used the A book it resulted in what most of us would be willing to do when called- help the other person! I carry it all the time but never plan around its contents.

It sounds like we need to make a concerted effort to exercise the book...for social benefits if nothing else...this is a "club" after all...as club members, don't we have an obligation to meet as many fellow club members as possible? Otherwise...this is just another faceless internet forum. Here ends today's motivational speech.:D

Last edited:
I also think anonymous should be optional. I would have no problem listing my moniker and name in the book.

I recently read the club history and that of the anonymous book in the MOA mag, but I think the time to make some changes to it have arrived, given the large number of MOA members now.

I don't see why it can't be anonymous, and non anonymous for those who wish, and have the designation (like the capital letters) that let it be know calls are welcomed.

That would be great, but I don't think anyone actually PLANS to use the book, it is looked at as a tool. It is like those wrenches and tire plugs in your bag, you have them just in case.
I have a back yard (not the cleanest) with a fire ring and wood and plenty of covered parking if it was needed, but I don't have a campground ready for steady flow of travelers if you know what I mean.

That's the way I personally would use the book. To date, I haven't had a real reason to use it. It's also why I have "emergency" listed in mine. When I first joined the MOA, I had 4 kids all living at home, my wife and I both worked full time, so while I certainly would've been open to helping someone that needed it, I absolutely wasn't available 24X7 for camping, wrenching, etc.

Now that the kids are almost all gone, it's a different story. This thread reminds me that perhaps I should update my status.

Back