• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wind noise with the K1600GT

I just test rode the new GT and loved it. My only complaint was significant wind noise. I experienced the same problem on my RT and K1200GT until I replaced the wind screen. Any feedback on any of the after market windscreens? Wind noise reduction? BMW boasts about their windscreens, but I think they are really off the mark.

Boast's:(

BMW certainly has no right for bragging rights on their windscreens for decades now. Seats either! My last large bike, K1200LT, I went with VStream replacement,a real nice improvement. Maybe its available for the new one by now too. My current GSA1200, I added the Laminar LIP to its stock shield, making a nice change for the GSA. Lamimar LIP makes a lot of add ons and mostly good results. Try VStream first, as mine was a good worthy buy. Randy

Wind noise on my K1600GT is significantly higher than on my R1100RT, both with stock windshield.

Vstream shield and schuberth c3 arent too bad but taller screen would be perfect. I have the tall now. 6'2" tall in the torso. Fwiw

The interesting thing about helmets, especially the C3, is that they're designed to work best in clean air and not the pressure wave that comes off a faired/windscreen equipped bike. If I stand up on my K16GT/stock windscreen bike the wind noise is substantially less than when I'm sitting on the seat. I actually took the windscreen off my bike and rode it all day with no wind protection and it's not bad but there's still a pressure wave off the fairing that hits my helmet.

I keep waiting until someone makes a short windscreen that has a lip/flip on the trailing edge to create laminar flow over/around me instead of hitting me. Something like this:

http://www.laminarlip.com/k1600gt.php

The interesting thing about helmets, especially the C3, is that they're designed to work best in clean air and not the pressure wave that comes off a faired/windscreen equipped bike....

That's a very interesting observation and worth considering. I have several bikes where the fairing/windshield does absolutely nothing as far as keeping "clean air" from my head/helmet and noise is not more of an issue than on my RT or GT!

Back