• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help with an abs issues on an 800st

middleagecrazy

Hi everyone,

I just got my 2007 BMW F800st back from its 18000 mile checkup and I've been told that my abs modulator/control unit is bad. I still have brakes but not the abs. The cost of this fix you ask......just over $2000 for a new modulator, any extra parts, reprograming the bike and labor. I find this to be VERY OVERPRICED and with the reputation of BMW Motorcycles being reliable seems pretty doubtful to me now. What I was wondering is if I get a used but still good and working abs modulator could it be hooked up to the bike and have abs or does the bike have to be reprogramed because its not the same abs unit from the origional bike? Any honest imput would greatly help....Thanks everyone

That's a drag. It doesn't sound right. Hopefully someone has been through this and give you a "all you have to do is" kinda thing. Good luck. Gary

Thanks Gary

Yeah, I said a few choice words under my breath when he told me the price. What really sucks is not only do I love the bike but I've put a lot of extras on it too (Sergent seat, scorpion exhaust, Coocase tail luggage, mirror extenders). I hope its just a "Remove the old one and the other one will work fine" type of thing. I hope someone here can give me an honest answer so I'm ready for what I need to do.

Thanks for the web sites.

Thanks for the web sites. I checked them out and couldn't find the part that I needed. I called a motorcycle mechanic who does very good work(Comes highly recomended and I had him work on my other bikes) to see if he could do the repair if I got the ABS pump....he said that he could do it if I had a service manual and that it shouldn't be any trouble. I'm going to get the part off of E-Bay and have him do the brake pads, flush out the old brake fluid and put the pump on. I got grief from the BMW dealer mechanic and I have to be honest I'm not sure I'll go back there again. For what I was charged for the work they did/didn't do was pretty high. I'm all for going to the dealer for my business but there comes a point where I have to check other options. Thanks guys.

ABS issue resolved

An update....After much consideration, I purchased an ABS unit off of E-Bay for $126.00. I took it to my regular motorcycle mechanic (NOT my BMW dealer who was VERY condescending and lost ANY future business from me....but thats a different story.) who replaced the ABS unit and replaced the brake fluid. He said he started the bike and 15-20 seconds later the light went off and the ABS unit worked without having to reprogram anything when he test drove it.

Back