• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The short mileage gang

Whew! I knocked out 241 miles yesterday. Left Clovis at 1700, rode to Santa Rosa, NM and met up with 10 others from around NM at the Comet II Drive-in. Arrived at 1855, after a gas stop that I piddled around for 10 minutes on.

We shot the breeze and ate, getting out of there at 2100 and headed to the middle of nowhere NM where most of the gang were going to hang out and watch the sky for the The Lyrid Meteor Showers.

Because of a commitment I have this morning, I didn't hang out and just rode on home.

Got stopped at a sobriety checkpoint on the way in. At that hour, not much traffic so I got to spend 10 or 15 minutes shooting the breeze with a buddy that is a NM State Police Motor Officer [NM SP rides R1200RTPs] that I hadn't seen in a while, before rolling on in to the garage. Planned to be home at 2330 - and hit it right on time.

Averaged 37.5 mph. Had a great ride and a great time.

I only managed 1,194 miles this week :blush. At least well over half of that was in the mountains. It sucks having to work over time every week right now.

I only managed 1,194 miles this week :blush. At least well over half of that was in the mountains. It sucks having to work over time every week right now.

Grr.

Take this:

faceslap.gif

The was a time - and will be again...:gerg

I enter the mileage contest to see how many miles I actually ride. Of course, I don't ride the same miles in each contest. I have always wanted to know how many actual miles I ride and participating in the contest is a good way to find out. Not only that, I like to see how many miles I ride compared to others. Yes, there are people who are retired and have the opportunity to ride more than those who work... and there are those who work and still able to get lots of miles in... and those who are unable to who may wish they can.. and those who do not ride that many miles... no matter who or which type you are... that is fine... everyone has their own purpose and enjoyment of riding.

My commute to work is 20 miles one way... so just to work and home is 40 miles... if I ride every day which I normally do that is 200 miles a week... if I ride every day, I could ride 10,400 miles just to commute to and home from work. This does not include errands I may run on the bike and/or trips I may take this year.

I enjoy riding... I get better gas mileage versus my car... my main miles is commuting... I don't have nice roads to ride where I live unless I ride about 400 miles from where I live.

Since the mileage contest started, I have accumulated 345 miles. Is that too many miles or not enough miles?

Traveling in some parts of the country isn't the same as traveling in other parts of the country. Ride safe everyone!

This thread has me laughing. :lurk:bolt

Short Mileage Gang, huh? :D

Guess I'll be a member of that gang as I don't commute or drive coast to coast with my bike. The bike for me is to just enjoy the great outdoors while doing something I like to do.

Actually did a 75 mile Friday afternoon stroll around some back roads outside of town today. Maybe a few more miles tomorrow. Damn... Guess I might be a high miler soon...:scratch

It's always fun to see an old thread brought back to the surface. I'm not a mileage slave either. My weekend campaigns run the range from 120 miles up to maybe 1000 miles at the very most.

When I bought my RT I was hoping to be able to do some long distance touring with it. For various reasons it has not happened. In about three years I've put about 12,000 miles on it just on day rides around the state, the longest one was about 450 miles. Still hoping to get in some multi-day trips, tho...one of these days.

I'm 70 years old. I had a radical prostatectomy last July. :violin If I can sit in the saddle for two hours in one day I'm doing great! :lol

I'm 70 years old. I had a radical prostatectomy last July. :violin If I can sit in the saddle for two hours in one day I'm doing great! :lol

I have seen some folks on the forum at times almost being demeaning towards people that only put a few thousand miles on their bikes a year or getting a few miles away from home on a ride. Many times the reasons are because of medical issues that have cut our ride times short. Let them strap on your surgery or an injury that someone else has and let them try an iron butt ride! I greatly respect the large amounts of miles, long trips and record rides people have written about. They make us dream and wish we could do that? For many people, a 100 mile day is a physical strain and was one hell of a good day!

Sir, I respect the fact that your just out doing the best you can. With what you have gone through, I put you on a pedestal. Your achievement is larger then a high mileage day.

Enjoy your next ride no matter how many miles you ride.

John

I have seen some folks on the forum at times almost being demeaning towards people that only put a few thousand miles on their bikes a year or getting a few miles away from home on a ride. Many times the reasons are because of medical issues that have cut our ride times short. Let them strap on your surgery or an injury that someone else has and let them try an iron butt ride! I greatly respect the large amounts of miles, long trips and record rides people have written about. They make us dream and wish we could do that? For many people, a 100 mile day is a physical strain and was one hell of a good day!

Sir, I respect the fact that your just out doing the best you can. With what you have gone through, I put you on a pedestal. Your achievement is larger then a high mileage day.

Enjoy your next ride no matter how many miles you ride.

John

+1

I am enduring the healing process of 32 fractures in my chest right now and cannot wait to get back on my bike. I would love just 30 minutes...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1

I am enduring the healing process of 32 fractures in my chest right now and cannot wait to get back on my bike. I would love just 30 minutes...

OK... slight hijack...
32 fractures from a bike related or pilot related incident:scratch
Either way, hope the recovery comes along for you quickly.

Sometimes 10 miles to go get the mail is a good ride, sometimes it's a bit further down the road...all good:thumb

OK... slight hijack...
32 fractures from a bike related or pilot related incident:scratch
Either way, hope the recovery comes along for you quickly.

Sometimes 10 miles to go get the mail is a good ride, sometimes it's a bit further down the road...all good:thumb

[emoji3][emoji108]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Riding is riding. Whether short jaunts to Mickey-D's for coffee or across the country to the pacific ocean, I enjoy every minute of time on my bike. Anyone on two wheels is a kindred spirit who gets a high five from me if I am lucky enough to get to meet them. Seems to me that anyone who looks down on someone else because of their miles per ride, or total miles per year, or whatever, is just missing the point of riding with wind in your hair and a grin a mile wide on your face.
There is an old timer at my Micky-D's coffee group that at 82, has downsized all the way from race bikes and cruisers to now riding a 49CC scooter, but the look of pure enjoyment on his face as I pass him on the city street is picture perfect of what riding a motorcycle feels like.... Don't listen to anyone else, just keep on rolling as long as you can.....

Seems to me that anyone who looks down on someone else because of their miles per ride, or total miles per year, or whatever, is just missing the point of riding with wind in your hair and a grin a mile wide on your face.

Very well said, Sir! :thumb

Back