• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

wife wants R75/5 windshield

T

TURK

wife wants windshield for 1973 LWB R75/5

My wife wants a windshield for her 1973 LWB R75/5.

Any recommendations are appreciated?

Does the /5 headlight bucket make a difference?

She's 5'9" and has "euro type" bars that are 32" wide.

Thanks...Al

Last edited:
Check out GIVI.

I think that the GIVI A600 (or similar) looks great on that period bike. Easy on and off with decent protection. Has a slight curve at the btm to fit around the headlight area.And the price is right. I have a tinted model but also available in clear.

Here are a few images on the my R69S (front)

2827871_tsZ6n-S.jpg

corner
2827875_4faMV-S.jpg

cockpit over the top of the speedo and /2 key insert.
2827874_NNhxW-S-1.jpg

Last edited:
I had a small wind shield on my LWB and never experienced any of the horror stories associated with them. It may be a different story on the SWB models.

The old R bikes were a rock in terms of stability so I don't know if that's real comparison.

Niccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee scooter wuli!

Short wheelbase /5s can be a problem with bar mounted windscreens. I've heard that the long wheel base models solved the problem.

After I got my '72 R75/5 I installed a windshield. Within the next year I had had four "tank slappers", including one at interstate speed that had my BACK tire bouncing over a foot side to side - That one made the following riders clean their pants! I also had one at about 40 mph that put me off the road in a curve on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Even had one on a straight road on a windy day. I tried 2 different shields and the only common factor that I could find was wind hitting the shield from the side: Lane change, side winds, change of wind direction on a sharp curve. Never dropped the bike, thank goodness.

If it is a short wheel base /5, DON'T DO IT. The instability will come up without any warning and leave you to hang on or not.

Just my 2 cents. I still ride my /5, but without a screen.

Good luck with the LWB; Dave

Last edited:
I have a GIVI windscreen that I had on my 2005 Triumph Bonneville , I'm pretty sure it's the A 600 model.
Good condition with all the pieces and parts to mount it in the original box.

PM me if you are interested with an offer, we can make a deal to keep the wife happy.

Back