Thread: wife wants R75/5 windshield

TURK

wife wants windshield for 1973 LWB R75/5

My wife wants a windshield for her 1973 LWB R75/5.

Any recommendations are appreciated?

Does the /5 headlight bucket make a difference?

She's 5'9" and has "euro type" bars that are 32" wide.

Thanks...Al
    Last edited by TURK; 04-10-2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: LWB

turk

Check out GIVI.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Quote Originally Posted by ultracyclist View Post
    Check out GIVI.
    I think that the GIVI A600 (or similar) looks great on that period bike. Easy on and off with decent protection. Has a slight curve at the btm to fit around the headlight area.And the price is right. I have a tinted model but also available in clear.

Here are a few images on the my R69S (front)

corner

cockpit over the top of the speedo and /2 key insert.
    Last edited by wuli959; 04-10-2012 at 02:24 PM.

I had a small wind shield on my LWB and never experienced any of the horror stories associated with them. It may be a different story on the SWB models.

The old R bikes were a rock in terms of stability so I don't know if that's real comparison.

Niccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee scooter wuli!
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Short wheelbase /5s can be a problem with bar mounted windscreens. I've heard that the long wheel base models solved the problem.

After I got my '72 R75/5 I installed a windshield. Within the next year I had had four "tank slappers", including one at interstate speed that had my BACK tire bouncing over a foot side to side - That one made the following riders clean their pants! I also had one at about 40 mph that put me off the road in a curve on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Even had one on a straight road on a windy day. I tried 2 different shields and the only common factor that I could find was wind hitting the shield from the side: Lane change, side winds, change of wind direction on a sharp curve. Never dropped the bike, thank goodness.

If it is a short wheel base /5, DON'T DO IT. The instability will come up without any warning and leave you to hang on or not.

Just my 2 cents. I still ride my /5, but without a screen.

Good luck with the LWB; Dave
    Last edited by DaveSlash5; 04-10-2012 at 11:47 PM.

I have a GIVI windscreen that I had on my 2005 Triumph Bonneville , I'm pretty sure it's the A 600 model.
    Good condition with all the pieces and parts to mount it in the original box.

PM me if you are interested with an offer, we can make a deal to keep the wife happy.