• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Calling it quits

I decided to sell my GT.

I bought a 2011 RT in March of this year. I want a GT. If you are interested in working out a swap please PM me. My bike is Thunder Grey with all the options plus quite a few extras I have added. Now has 12,200 miles on her.

...the bike is not for me...ken6217

And I see one for sale in the MOA News with about 2,000 miles on it, so you're not the only one.

I find myself fascinated with these bikes, especially after I recently listened to a friend start up his CBX.

I can imagine the sound of a Remus equipped GT...:dance

I have seen many GT's and GTL's for sale as well. I was thinking that many folks realize they can't afford a bike pushing 30k especially when they don't ride. I especially like the used ones listed for 25k while the left over new 2012's the dealers have you can pick up for under 24k right now. I wanted to buy one but wasn't willing to pay sticker price, so I bought an RT instead.

...many for sale...can't afford a bike...Inga211

I can't think it's just affordability. And if someone has just spent a lot of coin on a new bike, they're going to want to avoid the depreciation hit from an immediate sale.

I wonder if the six cylinder concept has brought in buyers who have owned other genres or makes of bikes, and and who then find out that the GT / GTL just doesn't work for them for one reason or other. Indeed, the OP, who has ridden many bikes, and who previously owned a BMW, states that he was "intrigued by the engine". Reading the threads here and in other forums, it is clear that there are all sorts of factors that can prevent an owner from liking a machine. It could be vibration, wind turbulence, heat, handling, weight, or brake feel. And then there may be mechanical issues. Or they might realize that they prefer a simpler machine that has more of the basic motorcycle vibes and sounds.

I recall a long ago post by an Oiler owner who went back to an Airhead, which surprised me.

To really get to know a bike, it needs to be taken on a multi - day trip, which just isn't possible for the purchasers of most new machines. You go in cold turkey.

Last edited:
And I see one for sale in the MOA News with about 2,000 miles on it, so you're not the only one.

I saw a beautiful black one with a lot of farkles on consignment at the BMW dealer in Asheville, NC the other day. It was a choice between the bike and a woman. Wonder if he will get another after the divorce?

I had a similar experience with a R1200C/Montauk .

found one, beautiful pearl beige , an "04" with just over 400!! miles on it. Shipped it here, bought and installed touring bags....took a trip. On the trip I doubled the mileage on it +....by the time i got home...hated it. Can't explain all of it, just felt?..wrong...one thing definite...it about killed my back.

Got lucky though, put it for sale in IBMWR and first guy came from yet another state, gave asking price...I lost a bit that I spent on shipping, but...

I wonder if the six cylinder concept has brought in buyers who have owned other genres or makes of bikes, ....he was "intrigued by the engine". .

I am one of these people. I own four other six-cyilnder bikes, 3 Honda CBXes and a Kawasaki 1300. I love the BMW GT. The sound of the bike, even with stock exhaust is awesome. The performance, especially two-up, roll-on acceleration, has no match. I rode the bike on a one week 2,600 mile trip from Ohio to Maine and back and ride it quite a bit on shorter Sunday excursions.
I have a 99 R1100RT that I wanted to replace as my main riding/touring bike.
I considered a new RT at one time. I am glad, I didn't go this route. I very much like the RT, but I am sorry, the Boxer just doesn't compare with the GT's powertrain.

Interesting post. I too have a 2008 RT. I bought it new but when I went in for the test ride I had an appointment to ride the 2008 GT. I had all the specs. in my head and was blind sided by the 160 HP (or was it 155?) anyway the sales guy took one look at me and says "you may want to ride the R1200RT instead". We went out with me on the GT and the salesman on an 08 RT. About half way through the ride he had me switch. That was it, the RT just fit me and I love the torque and pull through the rpm range.
So, yesterday I filled out a form on line to schedule a ride on the 1600GT.
Once again I feel like I need the power and up grade if you can call it that.
This morning I read this post about calling it quits with the GT?
I read a post several months ago and a guy in this forum said the GT was boring. Someone came back with, "how is 160 HP boring?.
Confusing but what a great problem. We are so fortunate.
Jeff

Nothing beats a BMW boxer twin.

In 1985 I took a test ride on the then-new K100RS and have not considered owning a BMW K for a nanosecond since.

Nothing beats a BMW boxer twin.

In 1985 I took a test ride on the then-new K100RS and have not considered owning a BMW K for a nanosecond since.

Like the guys who still want nothing but an air-cooled Porsche motor or an HD air-cooled V-twin or an AT&T phone or a horse-drawn buggy....and who still want Sandy Cohen to be the editor of the ON...what else?

Some people don't like change, and they are happy with what they have.

I have an RT, but realistically, I'm going to go hunting for a K bike as soon as I can put the cash down :D

I have an Oilhead RT too. I kept it when I bought the K1600. I also have an Airhead (78 R100S) And a K1. Going along with progress and improvements doesn't mean that you stop liking what you have.
Clinging to stuff that is "obsolete" and refusing to move ahead is a different story. It works for the Amish. For a real motorcyclist??? I am not sure. Maybe.

Like the guys who still want nothing but an air-cooled Porsche motor or an HD air-cooled V-twin...

It's funny, but most of the new stuff just doesn't interest me, whether it's the new 'Vette, the Porsche 991, any BMW car, any Ferrari, or whatever. The only "newish" bike that really interests me is sitting out in the garage.

But I'd love to take a 1600 GT on a trip, and see if I could get past the weight. If I had unlimited funds, I'd probably buy a low mileage one, just on spec. :D

Regardless, I'm happy all these machines are being built, because it keeps the builders in business.

Right up to the time you drop it at low speed or in a parking lot....and then you get to try and pick it up. :laugh :laugh :laugh

If you quote, you must quote the complete sentence.
Riding a bike is not really about dropping it in the parking lot. If you indeed have a tendency to do that, I agree - you should stick to a beginner bike, maybe a Honda CB250R or so....:D:D

If you quote, you must quote the complete sentence.
Riding a bike is not really about dropping it in the parking lot. If you indeed have a tendency to do that, I agree - you should stick to a beginner bike, maybe a Honda CB250R or so.:D:D

+1, Gunny!

The release of the water cooled R engined motorcycle will be a seminal moment for BMW. One can only hope that the new bike retains the special feel that I and many others associate with BMW. If not, then Oilheads, Hexheads and Camheads may retain their values for years to come.

Agreed. I traded my 07GSA for a 2012 on BMW's special deal. This way I have three to four years before I "have" to replace it.

I hope the WC Boxer is fantastic but I'll let others be the beta testers.

Back