• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Calling it quits

ken6217

I decided to sell my GT. I've liked the bike but could never love it. I just never felt comfortable on it. I am the proud owner of multiple seats and even GTL and GT handlebars as well as foot pegs but the bike is not for me.

It's funny that for many years I bought and sold bikes, and the bike that I loved the most was my '09 RT. I ended up trading for the GT. I guess I got intrigued with the engine.

The icing on the cake was last week when I picked up a used '09 GS and as soon as I got on it, I realized the GT was a goner.

I'm not sure if I will get a '12 RT or wait until the water cooled ones come out in '13 and just ride the GS for now.

Ken

Last edited:
Ken,

I did the same thing (although it was a new '09 Concours) two years ago.

I was expecting to really like the bike. It lasted one summer. Sold.

Sometimes we just don't "click" with a particular MC. For me it was position- too upright and no available fix. But that engine was very good.

Were we caught up in the hype?

Hope you find the ride that speaks to you.

John

Hi John,
Yep it was the engine.

I am definitely going back to the RT. just not sure if a '12 or the new water cooled.

I still got the GS though.
Ken

The release of the water cooled R engined motorcycle will be a seminal moment for BMW. One can only hope that the new bike retains the special feel that I and many others associate with BMW. If not, then Oilheads, Hexheads and Camheads may retain their values for years to come.

Several years ago, I just knew I had to have a Concours. I was ready to buy one until I rode one a friend had. I had not gone a mile until I knew it was not the bike for me. I had dreamed of one for years and my bubble was burst quickly.

Some bikes fit and some don't. Just like with spouses or significate others, we are compatable with someone that is totally incompatable to others.

I hear you guys, bought the Concours14 in late 2007 because I wanted a GT but could not afford one. The C14 was $13K and I believe the GT was around $20k at the time. I tried a couple of gadgets to make the bike fit me(seat,bar risers-setbacks,peg lowers etc) to no evail. The RT is it for me!

I have an 08 R1200RT. I get to take both a GT and a GTL for a test drive on May 7th.

I'm looking forward to it. This will give me a chance to see how I like the bikes. They sound so great (from what everyone says and listening to them run when I stand beside them).

I'll let you know whether the bike fits me. Not that that really means anything to anyone except me. But I'll share.

The release of the water cooled R engined motorcycle will be a seminal moment for BMW. One can only hope that the new bike retains the special feel that I and many others associate with BMW. If not, then Oilheads, Hexheads and Camheads may retain their values for years to come.

I think only the GS will be offered with water cooled engine in 2013. The rest of the line will be as 2012.

Here's a bike ergonomics site that my neighbour sent me. It's pretty interesting:

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Before I got my R1150RS, I took the measurements off my R100RS, so I could get equivalent ergos. As it turned out, I didn't need them.

I think...cjack

Jack: I hadn't seen your posts for a while; good to see you're still around.

Last edited:
Hi,

I only have the Corbin Seat. Very comfortable piston for back and arms. Looks great.
Ken
CorbinSeat.jpg

Originally Posted by ken6217 I am the proud owner of multiple seats

Is that set for sale? If so, is it heated and how much?
Jim

Originally Posted by ken6217 I am the proud owner of multiple seats

I obviously cant't spell or proof read- SEAT!

The seat is heated. It is a one piece seat. It cost me about $650 or so. I'm asking $325.

If you're interested, I'm sure we can work something out. PM me if interested.

I'm on my way back from China and I can reply back on Tuesday.

Thanks,
Ken

Back