• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding Chicago to Ontario, Canada

pepeps

My friend and I are planning to ride from Chicago to Temagami, Ontario, Northeast of Sudbury and North of North Bay in July 2012. He will be on his 1150GSA and I on my F800ST. If you know the area, do you have any special recommendations for us along the way?
Cheers,
PEPE

Which route are you taking? North crossing into Canada at Sault St. Marie or east across Michigan and into Canada via Port Huron/Sarnia?

One ride I've always wanted to take is the north shore of Lake Superior, past the Soo, to Manatoulin Island and then the ferry to the Tobermory Peninsula. For your destination you'll skip the ferry ride.

I helped a couple of our members write an article about this 10 years ago to promote our rally in Trenton, Ontario.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020604135336/http://www.bmwmoa.org/rally02/ridesuperiortour.htm

Another article provides some good info about riding throught the UP, the Soo Locks...

http://web.archive.org/web/20020604142057/http://www.bmwmoa.org/rally02/upbymoto.htm

Some of this info is still valid. I wish we did a better job of preserving all the web content we've produced over the years. :)

Ian

So far we are planning the Soo route out. For the return much depends on our time freedom. Great idea to try the Sarnia route! If we are pressed for time we will probably take the Mac Bridge.
Thanks!
PEPE

How about a loop??

Cross at the Soo one way, and Sarnia the other.

And you have to take the ferry to-or-from Tobermory on the Sarnia leg.

My main riding posse lives in that part of Ontario and for lack of more time
or thought, we have gone around Georgian Bay several times. Riding
on the Cheech is always a highlight. If you are a native midWester, you'll find
the big boat on the big water quite a treat. And the port towns themselves
are a great (if a bit pricey tourist) place to gas up/stop and eat/spend the night kinda places.

That ferry inspired us to always try and work a ferry into our rides. We have now
taken quite a few others, all much smaller than the Cheech.

Road from the Soo to Sudbury is not one of my favourites....mostly two lane
and far too many trucks and RVs for my taste.

Thanks Gerald. The loop idea looks like what we'll do. Any decent alternatives to the highway Soo-Sudbury?
PEPE

Thanks Gerald. The loop idea looks like what we'll do. Any decent alternatives to the highway Soo-Sudbury?
PEPE

17 from Sault Ste Marie to Sudbury is a nice route. It really is not a big slab like you might think. If you have never been to Canada everything is pretty rural and 2 lane highway. We rode 17 all the way from Sault Ste Marie to Ottawa last year. It was a great trip and you can take side routes but they will always run you back into 17 as nobody lives in northern Ontario so travel across the province requires the highway. Only thing to avoid in Canada is Toronto. Stay 100 miles away. It is a cluster. Other than that Canada has wonderful roads and beautiful sights even from 17.

PEPE

Nope.....Like the next poster says, not a lot of options in the northern half of Ontario. It isn't that bad....just not my favourite.

Coming home from work the other day on 17 (closer to Ottawa) and traffic was choked up at a bridge repair, down to one lane for the summer. As I sat waiting, I mused on just how far the detour was. I stopped counting at about 250 km:laugh

I'll make a note about the Walpole ferry, thats just my style!!

BTW....for future reference. I think 17 from the Soo to Thunder Bay is one of the world's best rides, I'd dare even list it on the same page as #1 from SF to LA. Perhaps half way down that page, but its one for the list...

Back