• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Schuberth C3 helmets

I'm new to BMW bikes and to this forum. My husband owns a K1600 GTL and we purchased 2 Schuberth C3 helmets with communication systems. I was wondering if anyone is having the same problem that we are with this helmet. After about an hour of riding, the seam in the memory foam(?) begins to irritate the top of my forehead, actually causing quite a bit of discomfort. The helmet leaves a huge mark on my husband's head. We just want to rip the helmets off because they are so painful! Our local dealer has told us that she has talked to the company and that the memory foam has not adjusted to our heads. She suggested that we put a 5-10 lb. weight inside the helmet for a few hours to press it in. We are doing that and haven't ridden yet to know if it has worked. Just wondering about others' experiences with this expensive helmet.
(forgive me if I've posted on the wrong thread)

Michael and Kristy P.

Mark of Schuberth

You have the common mark of Schuberth. Lots of people get that when first breaking in the helmet. My pressure point was on the side and eventually broke in (about 20 hours of riding).

Many people have found the pressure goes away after a few weeks of breaking in. Once broken in, I have found the Schuberth to be the most comfortable helmet I ever owned.

Before it broke in, I was cursing my self for having bought it, and got bad headaches after a couple hour ride. It will break in, but give it time.

I've got almost no hair left and what I do have I keep at 1/4 inch or less. Saturday I went out on a ride for a couple of hours in 40 degree weather and the vent channels in the schuberth left almost a perfect red virtual Mohawk on my forehead. Got lots of looks. :)

Kristy, welcome to the club and congrats on an awesome purchase (K16GTL)!

I have the C3 lady version and I love mine. I've heard that there is a break in period and I'm sure I did too but I can't remember, I've had mine for nearly 3 years and I love it!

Some people take the back side of a spoon and try to mash down the foam a little bit. Just try to rub the spoon back and forth to loosen it up a little and help it smash down. Give it a little more time, ride some, smash some with a spoon, ride some more, smash some more and hopefully it will begin to fit right.

I hope it works out, I think it's a great helmet but if it isn't comfortable then it's worthless.

Good luck!
Tina

I have about 5000 miles on my C3. I have the same red mark. I talked to the rep on the phone about the same headache problem after an hour of riding. I tried the book compression for 3 days and still had headache. I eded up (by the reps suggestion) cutting out the winter flap at the forehead vent. This improved things some but did not end the problem. I ended up compressing the foam slightly at some of the other pressure points with a spoon. The rep said it was not a sanctioned fix but I did it and I am more comfortable in the helmet. Finally. Give them a call for some advise. Pretty nice folks.

I have about 5000 miles on my C3. I have the same red mark. I talked to the rep on the phone about the same headache problem after an hour of riding. I tried the book compression for 3 days and still had headache. I eded up (by the reps suggestion) cutting out the winter flap at the forehead vent. This improved things some but did not end the problem. I ended up compressing the foam slightly at some of the other pressure points with a spoon. The rep said it was not a sanctioned fix but I did it and I am more comfortable in the helmet. Finally. Give them a call for some advise. Pretty nice folks.

+1

My wife said the mark on my bald head made me look like something out of Star Trek (the original series). While it can be said this takes away from the protective properties of the compressible foam in the helmet, I , with the exception of cutting out the winter flap, did the same exact thing as Evrydayride mentions above. An absolute world of difference. I would guess I compressed it by a mm or two.

My C3 was comfortable from day one but I seem to be in the minority. My head circumference is at the upper limit of a size--and the Schuberth fit chart has a 1 cm gap between sizes--so based on all the posts about headaches, skid markes, etc. I bought the next size up. Voila, no headaches and my eyes don't bulge when I put it on .. . Hmmm. I wonder if their fit chart is about 1 cm too tight for a lot of people.

Great helmet although I wish the shades stayed up better. Has anybody found a fix for the drooping? For the $$$$$ price I'd like a snappy detent. And hey--those icy scalp-massage-jets DO keep you ALERT . .

Thanks for the welcome and for all of the helpful hints!
I sent an email to Schuberth this morning, couldn't find a phone number for them.
We'll see what they say, but in the meantime I will try these ideas and hope and pray that this gets better! We've never owned a motorcycle before and are looking forward to many trips as we will be empty nesters in the fall. :clap
Kristy

Greetings, I don't own a Schuberth helmet as it is out of my price league and the helmet shape does not fit my helmet correctly. However, I do know that they sell different pads and foam to "custom fit" the helmets, as we all do have slightly different head shapes.

Since I have logged thousand of miles, I have found that most helmets do require a break in period, until the foam conforms to our heads. However, leaving marks on you, creating headaches and such sounds like an ill fitting helmet. May I suggest finding out what your head shape is.... if memory serves me the Schuberth C3 and C3W helmets are Neutral going to slightly round. I my self am a Neutral going to slightly narrow. For a $800.00 helmet plus the 300.00 communication system I find it difficult to accept having to "customize" a helmet on your own. To me, helmets are like shoes and gloves: First impressions are priceless. They either fit or they don't, no maybe, or if I break them in. That has NEVER been the case with my prior helmets, shoes or gloves.

Best of luck.

I had to customize the fit of a Scorpion EXO 900. I tried the spoon thing but it wasn't quite doing the job. I found that a croquet or bocce ball worked better and modulating the pressure was more controlled. Got me out of a sticky wicket!

Agreed, for $800, this shouldn't have to be done. However, I'm sure Schuberth can't accommodate ALL head shapes...but so many have this problem...hmmmmm.

Last edited:
Helmet Shapes

A helmet that fits the shape of your own particular head will be comfortable. The greater the mismatch between the helmet shape and your head shape, the greater the discomfort. I used to wear a helmet with a slightly round profile and it left a red mark on my forehead and could get downright painful on a day-long ride. I had to take rest breaks just to give my head relief! That's when I discovered I had a long oval (narrow) shaped head. I got an Arai Profile and the comfort has been heavenly.

I would say if the C3 is not comfortable after initial break-in, then it is not a close match to your head shape. If a factory rep is not able to help you get it comfortable, you might want to consider switching to a different helmet with the right shape for you.

Suggested reading:
webBikeWorld - Motorcycle Helmet Shapes
Arai - The Importance of Arai's Different Interior Shapes

A helmet that fits the shape of your own particular head will be comfortable. The greater the mismatch between the helmet shape and your head shape, the greater the discomfort. I used to wear a helmet with a slightly round profile and it left a red mark on my forehead and could get downright painful on a day-long ride. I had to take rest breaks just to give my head relief! That's when I discovered I had a long oval (narrow) shaped head. I got an Arai Profile and the comfort has been heavenly.

I would say if the C3 is not comfortable after initial break-in, then it is not a close match to your head shape. If a factory rep is not able to help you get it comfortable, you might want to consider switching to a different helmet with the right shape for you.

Suggested reading:
webBikeWorld - Motorcycle Helmet Shapes
Arai - The Importance of Arai's Different Interior Shapes

I enjoy the fit of my Arai Profile but no its noise level. Would you say then that the C3 is a very different shape than the Arai's?

I enjoy the fit of my Arai Profile but no its noise level. Would you say then that the C3 is a very different shape than the Arai's?

My last helmet was an Arai vector and I now ride with a c3. Both were very comfortable from the get go but I wore them around the store for 30 minutes looking like a dork and also ended up 1 size up to find a comfortable fit in the c3.

If you look at the webBikeWorld article on helmet shapes you'll see the Profile is a "Narrow", which is their narrowest classification, and the C3 is a "Neutral", meaning it is half way between a "Narrow" and "Round" shape. So depending on your head, it might fit fine. To get an idea, go to a Schuberth dealer and try one on for 30 minutes--yeah, it feels kinda goofy walking around the store wearing a helmet, but that's part of the fun.

I find the Profile to be a quiet helmet, so long as I keep the front vents closed (the ones on the helmet, not the visor). When I open them, they whistle. A given helmet will have different noise levels depending on the bike you ride. On my RS my head is completely in the airstream and the Profile is quiet. If you wear it behind a windshield that affects the air flow, that might make a difference. By the way, I always wear earplugs, so quiet is relative to other helmets. If I ride without earplugs, then it seems noisy to me, but I think that's going to be the case with any helmet.

Also keep in mind that Arai makes a variety of helmets designed for different head shapes, so there isn't just one "Arai shape". That's one of the things that makes Arai a great helmet company.

It has already been said but a proper fitting helmet is a must with comfort being the least important reason. A Schuberth helmet DOES NOT fit all head shape sizes. If you have "hot spots" on the front and back of your head you are probably a long oval head shape and need an Arai Signet-Q or Profile. The next time a motorcycle show or event is near go and visit the helmet booths and get properly fit. You will never get this from most shops as they will not have the needed pads. The best helmet business I know of is The Service Pavillion. They are an Arai dealer and started by fitting the pro racers. If a helmet does not fit properly it not only hurts but also does not protect properly. $699 for an ill fitting helmet is money wasted and a potential deadly decision.

Mark of Schuberth

I have the same problem with the 'Mark of Schuberth' on my forehead. Dealer tried 'massaging' the liner, but it did not do a lot of good. I have worn Arai helmets for the last 25 years, and they have ALWAYS been comfortable. However, to take advantage of the bluetooth system designed for the bike, I decided to give it a try. Except for the sore forehead (I typically ride 6 to 8 hours at a time), I am happy with it. I'll try some of the suggestions in earlier posts, and see if that helps.

I've never owned a helmet that I didn't have to spoon in several times to relieve the pressure points. On my C3, it took about four tries to get it right. Now it's well broken in and is just 'there', no problems and now quite comfortable.

I responded to this madness in my own thread names tight pants to break in among other things. Using kitchen utensils to break in helmets just might be a sign you are a redneck. Cmon, get the hint. I know there will be many defenders on this practice but they are also driven to work on short yellow buses. Would you buy size 32 pants when you are a 34 and then stretch them to fit? This is the possibly the dumbest thing I have ever heard of in my life. You are compressing the foam with kitchen utensils to relieve pressure points on the hard foam that is there to protect you in case of a hit to the head. The lighter foam around that is there for comfort and if you are getting hot spots beyond that you are not properly fit. I mean women do this crap with shoes all the time and then complain about their feet but this is your head we are talking about. Obviously there is not a lot to protect when prying on the helmet to make it fit sounds like a good idea when you just dropped $700. People have been trying to bang square pegs into round holes for years but this takes the cake. The fact that so many have done this makes me sad for the future. I though BMW riders were more educated than most but obviously I was wrong. This is so stupid it makes me angry. Each of you should be slapped until conscious.

Kevin, the alternative was buying a helmet that was dangerously loose (next size larger). Thank you, but I'll play with the spoons to have a helmet that won't fly off when you need it.

Back