Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Schuberth C3 helmets

Quote Originally Posted by Jogitu View Post
    A good fitting helmet should fit right. You bought the wrong helmet for your head. Not everyone needs a Schuberth. Again, prying on it with kitchen utensils is the first clue you bought the wrong helmet.
    Take a deep breath.................. now let it out........... again................
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Touring Rider
    For all you that are oh so critical of the helmets, I would venture to say that you don't have a Schuberth, and probably have never seen the inside of one. The problem is not poor helmet fit... it is one of poor design. On the front of the internal webbing that provides some of the support, there is a 1 inch strip of webbing that is sewn on the outside (head side) of the internal support webbing. This strip is oriented vertically, is right in the middle of your forehead, and is raised above the rest of the support material. It is this strip that causes the red spots and pain. If it were not there, there would be no problem. If it was sewn on the inside (helmet side) of the support, it would likely not be an issue either. Fit (for me, at least) is fine. I did wear the helmet in the dealer shop for a while before purchasing, and this was not apparent at the time. Those of us who want the integrated BMW headsets have no choice but to get this helmet. We are not caving in the entire front of the helmet... just the area where this strip is, and not by much. I'll accept the compromise.
    Gary
    Casa Grande, AZ
    2011 R1200RT

Ridin' Retired Ranger

Red Devil Mark of an angry forehead

I have 22k miles in this helmet that I also bought because of the Bluetooth custom add-on.
    I hurt so bad - what a stupid design to have the helmet rest on your forehead and have all that sewing right there! I finally bought a sweat liner - that keeps the helmet 1mm off my fo'hd and works...but damn does that get hot in summer heat. The C3 sucks for ventilation - 2 little ports on top and the crap mouth vent that does nothing behind a windshield....
    I'm really not impressed with this helmet except for the quiet - sounds like closing a car door on a German car - thunk and quiet....
    The cheek pads are just as tight as when I bought it and oh by the way - NO they do NOT have other pads you can buy. I checked.

I will try the spoon thing tonite and report back in a couple of days.

thanks for the write-up - I'm glad I'm not the only one pissed that I spent $1100 for pain.
    Smooth throttles and spirited twisties!

TC

Ventalation sucks????

Pull the liner down at the front. There's a winter flap right where the rib with the label and the main cross piece meet. Make sure the flap is folded forward. When you fold it all back into the helmet - you should be able to see the two vent holes in the foam. Also, pop the top cover off and clean and make sure the vent holes are clear.

Ventalation is one thing no one I know that has the holes uncovered complains about. I live in the desert southwest [house in Clovis, NM, house in Tucson, AZ] - trust me when I tell you it gets hot here. This is the best you cna do for ventalation.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAikens View Post
    Ventalation sucks????

Pull the liner down at the front. There's a winter flap right where the rib with the label and the main cross piece meet. Make sure the flap is folded forward. When you fold it all back into the helmet - you should be able to see the two vent holes in the foam. Also, pop the top cover off and clean and make sure the vent holes are clear.

Ventalation is one thing no one I know that has the holes uncovered complains about. I live in the desert southwest [house in Clovis, NM, house in Tucson, AZ] - trust me when I tell you it gets hot here. This is the best you cna do for ventalation.

I agree - I really like the ventilation - I love going down the road and opening the vents just to feel the air go over the top of my hair - it's kind of a neat feeling and it feels good!
    Tina's RedHot ROCKET!- 2010 K1300GT I just love him!
    2005 R1200ST totaled
    BMW Bikers of Metropolitan Washington DC
    "Jesus is coming!! LOOK BUSY"

So I read the German Motorrad Mag every 2 weeks and I was awaiting their flip test results... before the end results they clearly marked that folks in this market buy a helmet due to price, how it looks and most of all fit. For me fit is the most important, then price then how it looks....and the results of the top 5:.....

1. Shoei Neotec with 87/100 points (they noted how rediculously expensive it is)
    2. HJC R-Pha Max with 86/100 points (this helmet is not yet available in the US, according to Revzilla it is due to be release in the fall) Prices suggest around $400.00.
    3. Schuberth C3 with 86/100 points (they report sinfully expensive helmet that is showing some of his age, multiple reports of ill fitting to customers)
    4. BMW System 6 with 84/100 points (not available in the US)
    5. Nolan N-104 with 73/100 points (they report a difficult opening system for the untrained EMS worker to open the lid up)

I can't find any helmet shape references for the HJC R-Pha Max or the BMW System 6 helmets, but do know that the Shoei and Schuberth are rated as Neutral helmet shape and the Nolan as a slightly narrow. Just like the webbikeworld.com report says: head shape and therefore helmet fit may just decide which helmet one should purchase.....
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

Quote Originally Posted by GRLambert View Post
    Those of us who want the integrated BMW headsets have no choice but to get this helmet.
    Wait, are you saying that the only helmet that offers Bluetooth integration with BMW audio systems is the Schuberth C3? I'd like to know more about this, like what model motorcycles have it and will any non-BMW Bluetooth helmet systems work with them.
    Mark M, St. Louis, '13 R1200GS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

Touring Rider
    Mark M,

Depends on wht level of integration you are looking for. If you want to listen to the radio, have BT intercom, control headset volume from the multicontroller, GPS verbal directions, and BT phone all at the same time, then as far as I know, the BMW system integrated into the Schuberth is the only one that can do it ALL. Other systems will do parts of all this, but not all. I spent quite a while going through all this with the dealer 3 months ago. If all you want to do is link to the GPS, then you can use about anything that is compatible with your GPS system. I rarely listen to the radio, but all the rest of it works as advertised once you get everything paired. The dealer had a Scala BT system they would sell me, but it would only do 80% or so of the functions. Others may be different.
    Gary
    Casa Grande, AZ
    2011 R1200RT

Mark M,

Depends on wht level of integration you are looking for. If you want to listen to the radio, have BT intercom, control headset volume from the multicontroller, GPS verbal directions, and BT phone all at the same time, then as far as I know, the BMW system integrated into the Schuberth is the only one that can do it ALL. Other systems will do parts of all this, but not all. I spent quite a while going through all this with the dealer 3 months ago. If all you want to do is link to the GPS, then you can use about anything that is compatible with your GPS system. I rarely listen to the radio, but all the rest of it works as advertised once you get everything paired. The dealer had a Scala BT system they would sell me, but it would only do 80% or so of the functions. Others may be different.

May I please ask clarification - are you only talking about BMW stuff that's on the bike -- like the bike radio that comes with the RT or the gps system that comes with the new K16GT - you're not talking about stand alone systems like a Garmin gps - is that right???
    Tina's RedHot ROCKET!- 2010 K1300GT I just love him!
    2005 R1200ST totaled
    BMW Bikers of Metropolitan Washington DC
    "Jesus is coming!! LOOK BUSY"

I believe this system is the only one that's fully integrated with the systems on the K1600, but it's the same system as the Cardo G4, which should also work. This essentially is a deconstructed G4 placed into a collar that fits the Schuberth helmet.
    09 R 1200 GS

We bought the helmets since supposedly they are the only ones that sync to this BMW bike. There is a small, round, stiff piece of velcro underneath the lining and in the memory foam. I thought this was the problem and took the velcro out today since it feels like something is poking my head. We just got back from a ride. It was a little better, but now I think the problem is the deep threaded seam in the liner. The helmet fits well everywhere except right at the top of my forehead where this seam on the liner is located. I wonder how necessary the liner is? I will email them again and see what they say.

Here is Schuberth's reply to the original email that I sent a few days ago:

"Thank you for your support of the Schuberth brand, and for taking the time to contact us. I’m sorry that the helmets are causing you some discomfort, but can assure you that with proper break in time, they will adjust to your individual head shapes more and will become much more comfortable.
    Breaking in a new helmet is similar to breaking in a good pair of quality shoes or boots. While some tennis or athletic shoes can be worn easily right out of the box, many shoes and boots require time to adjust to your feet. I would never suggest anyone get a new pair of boots and start out on a long kike, and the same is true of the Schuberth helmet.
    Break in time is a function of time, miles, and frequency of use. The more short trips you take with it, the faster is will break in, generally speaking. To help accelerate the break in process, you can remove and launder the interior pads. This will soften them some, and can adjust how your head sits into the helmet. Another factor in break in time is how localized the pressure is. If it’s an all-over general squeeze, then you will notice results more quickly. The more localized the pressure, the longer it will take to dissipate.
    The idea of breaking in a helmet is not unique to our brand, but ours does tend to take a bit longer than some others I have used. In my own personal C3, it was pretty uncomfortable early on, and now it’s an all-day helmet for sure."

Thank you guys for all of your advice!
    Kristy & Michael
    OK

12. 04-05-2012, 11:31 PM

For all you that are oh so critical of the helmets, I would venture to say that you don't have a Schuberth, and probably have never seen the inside of one. The problem is not poor helmet fit... it is one of poor design. On the front of the internal webbing that provides some of the support, there is a 1 inch strip of webbing that is sewn on the outside (head side) of the internal support webbing. This strip is oriented vertically, is right in the middle of your forehead, and is raised above the rest of the support material. It is this strip that causes the red spots and pain. If it were not there, there would be no problem. If it was sewn on the inside (helmet side) of the support, it would likely not be an issue either. Fit (for me, at least) is fine. I did wear the helmet in the dealer shop for a while before purchasing, and this was not apparent at the time. Those of us who want the integrated BMW headsets have no choice but to get this helmet. We are not caving in the entire front of the helmet... just the area where this strip is, and not by much. I'll accept the compromise.
    Thank you, Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Jogitu View Post
    YES, YES, YES ! ! ! This is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. It is like lemmings jumping off a cliff with the wrong size helmet.
    WONDERFUL IMAGE! Anybody here who can photoshop a picture of a lemming with a motorcycle helmet? As I understand it, they all die, but the ones wearing perfectly fitted full face helmets expire from internal injuries - brains intact.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm not poking fun at any of you, though I'm most definitely in the camp of those who figure their helmet should be comfortable from day 1 and not require "breaking in." Same thing with riding boots. Wouldn't buy either by mail because fit and comfort can only be determined by head/feet on experience. You may feel like an idiot walking around the store for 20 minutes with a new helmet on your head - and/or your feet in new boots. If either end of you is in pain after 20 minutes - well, I'd keep looking, no matter what other great features the product has.

Another thought: If you are young enough, it MIGHT be worth the "break in" time for really tough boots. (I have a pair of leather hiking boots that I bought about 40 years ago. They've been re-soled twice and had other repairs but are still useable, and definitely broken in.) Since MC helmets supposedly start to lose their protective capability after about five years, the same argument doesn't work.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseH View Post
    I believe this system is the only one that's fully integrated with the systems on the K1600, but it's the same system as the Cardo G4, which should also work. This essentially is a deconstructed G4 placed into a collar that fits the Schuberth helmet.
    There are two comm systems designed for the C3. The one described above is NOT fully compatible with the BMW bluetooth audio system. The handlebar volume control will not work with the Schuberth SRC collar. In fact, I couldn't even get a consistant audio connection to my 2011 R1200RT with the SRC (it would always "pair" but more than half the time I had no audio).

I could get reliable audio with a Nolan N-Comm and a J&M BLU277 to the RT radio and prior to getting the RT the SRC always worked properly with a BT connection to my Garmin 665 (both XM and GPS prompts).

After conversations with Schuberth support confirming an incompatibility with the SRC and BMW BT and giving up waiting for a Cardo produced update I switched to the BMW Communicator which is designed to fit in a C3 (pockets molded in the foam liner to accept the circuit board and battery, control panel mounted on the helmet exterior). The BMW Communicator is not the same as a G4 and not made by Cardo.

I am 100% happy with the BMW Communicator, I always get an audio connection and the handlebar volume control is quite useful.
    Tom
    2013 K1600GT

I have had my C3 about 8 months now, always had a issue in the hinge area of face shield(chubby cheeks) reading imputes from other owners, put pressure on liner with hands squeezing outward on liner has really helped. Layed helmet on side and put a 10lb bag of lead shot inside over hinge area repeated on other side. No more pain.
    FYI my helmet is hardwired through J&M radio, never had good luck with motorcycle bluetooth