• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Roadside assistance recommendations?

Thanks. Better than what I have, but is there a program out there that provides truly unlimited towing..... or at least a long way such as 500-600 miles?

My Allstate RV program paid for a 350 mile tow when my GSPD blew an oil line a couple of years ago. I signed when they picked it up and climbed into my wifes car to go home.

They have a few plans, make sure it's the RV program.

Rob Lessen
Arma, KS

bikes

Okay, I checked out the Allstate Motor Club RV plan. It provides an "Unlimited amount for towing to the nearest service facility and/or on-site labor." Seems like a good plan for $99.95 a year. Covers you and your spouse in any non-commercial vehicle.

Thanks Rob.

AAA Plus covers 100 miles and includes motorcycles. I've needed and used it happily. In the end, however, you are dependent on the skills and conscientiousness of the tower contracted by your insurer. Anything can happen there!

Don't you have to have the RV upgrade in order to get the service for motorcycles?

I had the Allstate RV plan when they only towed my car off the interstate to a closed tire shop. Maybe I did not discuss this enough with the tow truck driver, but that is where I ended up. That is when I updated to the Allstate Platinum Elite plan. Maybe this was the case since I was in a major town and requested to be towed to my house, 45 miles away. It did not happen. Since then after the update to PE, my other 2 tow's did put the vehicle (once the K100LT) in my driveway.

As I understand it, the Platinum Elite plan covers any privately owned RV, offroad, motorcycles, car truck....., which I have all of the above or that I might be in at that time when it needs a tow.

I also understand the RV Plan did too, but for the most part, lacking in the towing feature (unlimited times per day but at $250 per call)or should I state, to the nearest repair facility. Of course the PE plan does offer more but for a cost, which I was not happy about at all. Again, what is the cost of another $80-$100 per year for piece of mind if I ever need it or my spouse/kids need it. $7-$10 more a month (for 4 ppl), pretty cheap looking at the overall picture in my case. Your situation maybe be different.

Again all I am saying, best to look into any roadside assistance plan, there could be, and probably are hidden factors within them.

I do wonder and I should inquire with Allstate Customer Service, what would happen if the 1st call or any other tow request would cost more than $250 due to the nature of location of the tow request?

When I signed up, I called CS and asked a ton of questions. The rep I spoke with gave me more information that I really needed and I got the plan the is best for me and Oldwhatshername, at the best discounted price.

Call them and ask whatever you like. That's why they are there.

Thanks. Better than what I have, but is there a program out there that provides truly unlimited towing..... or at least a long way such as 500-600 miles?

Go back to that Allstate link and look at the RV plan - roadside assistance is unlimited by a dollar amount. The fine print in the package says towing to the nearest qualified service facility. That makes perfect sense given the varieties of RV vehicles running around - and equally perfect sense for BMW motorcycles.

It costs more per year than the cut rate urban commuter 35 mile towing plans but makes lots more sense for touring motorcyclists. The higher price is a cost of the hobby - or you can just take your chances. Even the cut rate plans can be beneficial at midnight on a rainy night in Idaho because they can find the tow service for you. But you still will pay the $$$ to finish the tow beyond the limits.

Back