• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

commuter rider: parking a bike securely

LuckyGrownup

I am a daily motorcycle commuter, and have been parking in the same garage for almost a year.
Today, while walking from my parking spot to the office, a guy with a helmet strapped on his back said his scooter was stolen. This guy was parked on the street and visiting a coffee shop. When he came out his scooter was gone. He was only in the coffee shop for a few minutes, he said. Luckily, city surveillance cameras picked up the thieves cutting a lock and pushing it away. So, it is possible, the police may recover his scooter. However, his story made me nervous. I park my motorcycle near the location of the incident. My 2002 1150RTP could be stolen. My garage has no security cameras and it is occasionally void of any attendants for a few hours during the day. Currently, I lock my steering wheel. I park on the center stand. I put an audible disc lock on the front. I put a cover on the bike. Is there anything else I can add that might make it more secure ?

You're doing a pretty good job already, especially employing the disc lock. You might consider one in the rear as well.

Assuming you do not have the option of a better location, with conspicous surveillance, is there a possibility you could also weave a hefty cable thru your bike frame (not the wheels) and around a solid object?

Granted, scooters and motorcycles are more vulnerable to theft than big cages, but though the fact exists that almost anything can be stolen by determined thieves, it's all about slowing them down by counter-measures.

Make the attempt to steal your ride so time-consuming and difficult that they move on to a more desirable target.

I applaud your use of a motorcycle on a daily basis - may precautions keep it just where you left it when your day is done. :thumb

+1 on everything that Kevin posted. Keep in mind that most motor vehicle larcenies are crimes of opportunity, not something that is generally pre-planned. Parking as conspiciously as possible within the garage and doing as much as possible to slow down a potential thief all work in your favor. Also keep in mind that it is physically easier to push a scooter away than a 600+ lbs. motorcycle, if that makes you feel any better.

Using the disc lock is a great idea. That would be a hard bike to carry off. The very best thing you can do is keep your insurance paid up.

Sounds like you are already doing a good job protecting your bike. I've got comprehensive on my bike insurance--if it gets stolen, I'll miss it... but I then get to shop for a new bike!

Pee Wee was worried about his bike getting stolen too...
pee-wee-bike-locked.jpg

The conventional wisdom is that BMW bikes are not stolen, if that helps.

Besides, who would steal a bike with a steering wheel? :dunno

A chain or cable lock attached through the frame to a light pole or some other solid fixed object would be as good as it gets... in either a visible public location or a "secured environment"... as opposed to a secluded location... Again, make it more trouble than it is worth... or perhaps more accurately, let them look for easier pickings...

I wonder if all things being equal, varying the location in the garage where you park might complicate things for a thief who was doing some planning.

Of course if you are like me it would complicate things for me walking and walking to find my bike.

Maybe they offer a saddlebag version... ?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WezMQcIiVA0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Street sign

If you are cabling a bike on to a street sign make sure that the sign is secure. In some areas thieves have been able to alter the sign so it can easily be lifted up and replaced for the next victim to chain up their bike. Life in the big city.

Again, make it more trouble than it is worth... or perhaps more accurately, let them look for easier pickings...

Some bikes offer more reward:risk value than others: $100 - (think about it) for instance. I was never so happy to sell one machine and get another in exchange. Not because it was a bad ride, but because everyone wants the HD because it's an HD. :dunno

Thane

Back