• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Advice for first BMW Rally

Rip

I have been trying to find any articles written about the Rally being held in Gettysburg in April,past or present. I am riding from Stamford, Ct. and staying at the Eiisenhower Hotel. I am riding alone and being this is my first BMW rally I am not sure what to expect. I have been studying the maps and the recommedations of what roads to take that sound exsiting along with beautiful scenery.
Since I have no riding mates for the ride there, are there some planned rides with riders with local knowledge or are you on your own to pick out the routes you want to take? I am signed up for the Friday ride through the park, but that leaves Saturday and Sunday to explore Pa.
Just like to know from the veteran members who have been to these events their thoughts and advice for a newbie.
Thanks for your time.
Rip

Hey RIP

I'm not familiar with the Gettysburg rally, but in general the BMW rallies are well run, well fed, and put on by lots of good people. Generally, there are route sheets or someone from the local club who will give you guidance as to where to ride. After spending the day riding, usually people eat and hang out, then at night people tend to party, and have a good time. :dance

I have been attending rallies for almost 20 years, and often know a lot of people, so for me, rallies are more like a party with lots of good friends... even if i haven't met them before.

I'm sure that you will have a great time.

btw: my personal preference is to camp at the rallies, but some folks prefer to hotel/motel.

I think that the OP is talking about the Gettysburg Weekend Getaway.
That is not the same as a rally and on the home page it says it is sold out.

I think that the OP is talking about the Gettysburg Weekend Getaway.
That is not the same as a rally and on the home page it says it is sold out.

I think they are all considered "rallies" they are just ran differently. Most rallies have food, rides, prizes and a good time. The bigger rallies have vendors but I think that's about it? I THINK.

Gettysburg is in a good location - there are a lot of nice roads in the Thurmont MD area which isn't too far and the riding tour will be worth it too. They have a really nice visitors center as well. I think it's pretty new and it has a nice little snack shop and picnic area. If the weather holds out, it should be a really nice weekend for everyone that goes.

Good luck, and have fun! :dance

RIP,

Look at the thread just below yours. Some useful info there.

There should be some guided and self guided tours avaliable. Look for the information table at registration.

This is not a typical "bmw rally" as its based at a motel/hotel in town.

Just go and have fun. You'll meet like minded riders and have a great time.

jason

Try the Square Route Rally

If you cannot find enough information about Gettysburg, why don't you try the Square Route Rally, sponsored by BMWBMW, near Thurmont,MD? That's a great rally and it is an excellent example of BMW rallies. Good folks, great rides, and a lot of fun. Check out the website: http://www.bmwbmw.org/srr :thumb

Thank You

Thanks to all for your advice. I called it a rally thinking there wasn't much of a difference. Since my wife is staying home a Getaway sounded a little to romantic.
I noticed it was a sell out. I didn't think these events would sell out since there seems to be ample camping and other hotels. Glad I signed up early and will remember for future events.
I will be buying a tent soon. With all these rallies and "getaways" I don't want to spend my summer budget on hotels plus being at the campsites with other riders will be great.
Thanks Rev for the link to the Maryland rally. Sounds great and I will put that on my schedule. Another state I haven't biked in and can check it off.
Thanks again to all and hope to see you out there and have a beer.:drink

If you cannot find enough information about Gettysburg, why don't you try the Square Route Rally, sponsored by BMWBMW, near Thurmont,MD? That's a great rally and it is an excellent example of BMW rallies. Good folks, great rides, and a lot of fun. Check out the website: http://www.bmwbmw.org/srr :thumb

Thanks RW! I think we have a wonderful rally! Just remember to bring your rain gear! :laugh We try every year to hide from the rain but it seems a little difficult to do but OH DO WE HAVE FUN!!

Thanks to all for your advice. I called it a rally thinking there wasn't much of a difference. Since my wife is staying home a Getaway sounded a little to romantic.
I noticed it was a sell out. I didn't think these events would sell out since there seems to be ample camping and other hotels. Glad I signed up early and will remember for future events.
I will be buying a tent soon. With all these rallies and "getaways" I don't want to spend my summer budget on hotels plus being at the campsites with other riders will be great.
Thanks Rev for the link to the Maryland rally. Sounds great and I will put that on my schedule. Another state I haven't biked in and can check it off.
Thanks again to all and hope to see you out there and have a beer.:drink

There are 3-4 "Get a Way" weekends, that are hotel based, with limited space, couple oriented. "Rallies" are campsite oriented and typically have a much higher sellout number, like 250+, due to the campgrounds capacity and facility for feeding people. Some provide meals, some, your on your own. The International rally really doesn't have a number limit that I know of.

center stand?

Kent: Not hoping to sound stupid, but why wouldn't you park next to a bike on it's centerstand. Is that a inside joke? New here and not sure what that means. When camping or on dirt, I usually use the center stand for the stability. If this is dumb, you can laugh at my expense. Still learning my way.

Rip,
It sounds like the GT Giant would be up your alley! Keep an eye out on the forum and the ON magazine for info!

Kent: Not hoping to sound stupid, but why wouldn't you park next to a bike on it's centerstand. Is that a inside joke? New here and not sure what that means. When camping or on dirt, I usually use the center stand for the stability. If this is dumb, you can laugh at my expense. Still learning my way.

A unexpected rain storm can soften the earth and cause the center stand to sink in. Usually ending in a tip over of the bike.

On dirt it's best to use the side stand and make sure you have some sort of extra foot under it. A beer can will work, a stone, peice of plywood etc............

We where all new at one time.
Jason

Hey Rip

I don't know if you noticed, but we are practically neighbors. In fact, i work in your town.

If you ever want to meet for a ride, or to be introduced to some local riders, let me know. :hug

In case you are interested there are also a couple of really good BMW clubs in the New England area that put on some really nice "rallies". :thumb :dance

scott

Thanks again

I guess I have been lucky on my old '82 Honda 900. It never tipped over though I was always careful. Always had a plastic footing to put the kick stand on. I have seen a bike tip over but that was in Texas on a hot summer day and the bike was on the side stand and the asphalt melted and bike falls. A sad sight to see.
I may have to upgrade from plastic to a stuffed animal, that has more character.

first rally

HI RIP .I suggest you look into the finger lakes rally a great location ,and camp site plenty of good people who will be eager to advise you of other rallies you should attend,all this is very adictive you know,!!:nono and good food ,close to Watkins glen for shopping (for the wife if need be),its in the book hope this assists Jimmy

Back