• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fuseblocks FZ-1

metriccyclesllc

I am installing this item on my 2012 R1200 R and would like to know if there is an unused switched circuit on this bike into which I can attach the Fuzeblock. Or, do I have to use a Posi-Tap to connect the unit to a switched circuit?
BTW, best bike I have ever ridden in my 55 years on two wheels.
Thanks for your advice

Welcome to the forum. This kinda question comes up quite a bit. While I have to guess that you are looking for a power on trigger, this is a good choice From the Gang at Twisted Throttle.
There is a recent Best of Forum that has some nice pictures of an installation on an earlier bike. Might be good for reference. Good luck. Gary

For what it's worth, I bought the Twisted Throttle item above and it did not work. There was a bad connection internally. After looking at the overall quality of it I decided to do the Posi-Tap route. Better than having an intermittant problem. Obviously, you may have a completely different experience.

I have a Fuzeblock on my '07 R1200ST. I tapped into the hot lead for the stock accessory plug, so that my switched circuits stay on about 20 seconds after I turn the bike off. I like this feature, but not everyone does.

There are a lot of switched leads you can use; among the easiest to get to are the front parking light and the GPS plug. And you can use a voltmeter on the plugs under the seat to find some leads as well.

I run a Fuseblock on my RT. I have it only wired directly to the battery. Do you really think you need something powered only when the key is on?

I have two GPSs, a J&M system, a V1, a Gerbings dual mounted controller, a set of HID's and a voltmeter on it and it's never once given me a problem. If I'm not riding, I turn off what I want turned off. Depending on the ride, I may leave the GPSs on when I'm stopped.

Most prefer a switched capable system to prevent accidentally leaving lights on which would quickly kill a battery.

IIRC the Fuzeblock allows any circuit to be switched or unswitched at your preference by placement of the fuse across the proper terminals. Clearly some things would have to be unswitched to operate correctly (eg an alarm system or a charging outlet run through the panel).

My switched trigger (I use an Eastern Beaver panel) comes from the relay thats under a little cube cover next to the diagnostic connector on my RT. A nice protected location and can be done with a posi tap or by a more permanent method at ones preference.

The primary advantages of the Fuzeblock are its ability to be configured as desired and the simple install because it has an onboard relay. The disadvantage compared to my EB panel is that it has fewer circuits and less current capacity so might not be enough if you use a lot of accessories (my EB panel with 8 circuits is full, the last connection being the timer switch for my Veskimo).

I run a Fuseblock on my RT. I have it only wired directly to the battery. Do you really think you need something powered only when the key is on?

Your needs may not match his. Or it may be a matter of want instead of need. Do you really think you need a GPS, a J&M system, a V1, a Gerbings dual mounted controller, etc.? Some riders do quite well without those additions. :stick

For the OP: Another place to trigger your fuze block is the headlamp (assuming it stays on with your high beams). I prefer that as it delays powering switched items connected to the fuze block until after the engine is started.

Back