• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Member in Southern Louisiana

Dadrider

Still a learning newbie !
Hello all, I'm Dadrider, I live across the river from New Orleans. I picked up a 96 R 1100RT for my wife and I to take local day rides on. It has around 43k miles on it.

Started out with mini bikes and trailbikes from 9yr old until I was 17. I didn't ride or own a bike for 27 yrs, when I took a basic MSF course and shortly thereafter a Yzf600r. I have commuted a couple of times, done a couple of trackdays, 1 cross country to Deals Gap with it. It has served me well.

It doesn't ride 2 up well with my wife. We slide around mainly forward a bit under braking. We both aren't happy with the experience.

After coming to a crossroads, we want to try and ride together on something more suited to our age, and riding style.

Enter the R1100RT. I found ours, after consulting with a good riding friend who owns 2 BMW's but recommended about 6 different touring bikes. The R bikes were on the list and I found 1 after 30 minutes of looking. I found the 1 we now own after 3 more weeks of looking, and picked it up 2 weeks later.

I was apprehensive at first with the size and weight, but this bike is the most stable bike I have ever been on.

I have picked up the backrest/ storage case to go with the 2 hard factory cases that the bike came with.

I am getting ready to do a 42k maintenance on it. I picked up the 12/24 maintenance kit from BB, an alternator belt, feeler guages, the companion maintenance CD to augment the Haynes manual that came with the bike. Going to change all the fluid's, belt, check the valves and sync the TB's. I am also going to probably change the brake hoses out due to age, more than any other reason. I found a Galpher kit with 5 hoses and joint rings.

I have 3 other bikes. a YZF600r Thunderkitty, a SV650 trackday bike and a TTR 125 trailbike, now with USD forks, carb and exhaust mods.

I have worked as a mechanic for 24 years in the heavy / industial diesel engine industry, and the last 11 in Telecom as a RF tech.

Long introduction.

I have been reading thru this and some other forum, I look here almost every day, and finally joined.

Thanks for the help so far, even though you folk don't know you were helping me.

Dad.

Welcome

Nice to have you aboard. As info, there is a Gulf South BMW Club that meets the 1st Wednesday of each month. Every other month it's on the north shore, then south shore. Bunch of good people there. If interested you can PM me or check out the club at http://www.gulfsouthbmw.org/

Good riding,

Greg

I got my initial envelope from MOA today. After reading the contents, there are more benefits available than I first thought.

I'll check out the website.

Thanks again.

Dad.

Back