• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

cross-country bike ship questions?

lkniess

re shipping-combined with cross -country shipping

Hello
I am a proud owner of a 2003 K1200LT and have just acquired a 2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited. Now I know there is a lot of controversy About this bike not being a bike and it is true. I however, really want my wife to join me on rides and she simply is not comfortable on the LT. I am 61 and have had my share of balance issues so I felt this was the best choice. Yes, I am keeping my LT! I want to know if anyone out there has the contact for a great enclosed shipper that they have used. The vehicle is sitting in Palm Springs with 257 miles and I simply do not want break in a new bike with a different riding style this time of year. The bike would be shipped to Beaverton, Oregon.

thanks

You may find what you are looking for here.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=47142

I think the Spyder is a great way to bring people into riding that would otherwise stay away, or to extend the riding career as people age and have difficulty with balance. Whatever improves the riding experience is to be appreciated, not demeaned. Hope your wife loves it. It is the modern sidecar rig.

As far as shipping the Spyder with a motorcycle shipper is concerned, they may also argue whether it is a bike or not. The ones I have shipped with, used a pallet to which the bike was strapped to. The Spyder would not fit on this.

I recently needed two bikes shipped - the incoming new and the outgoing old.

I signed up for uBid.com and what a trip that turned out to be. I received dozens of bids for one of the hauls and zero bids for the other. The trip I received bids for was only 250 miles, and I had bids ranging from $125 to $2500. I had no idea what kind of equipment the bidders wanted to use - for all I knew they could show up in an '88 VW Rabbit towing a Tractor Supply landscape trailer.

I ended up doing the transporting myself. Couple of pleasant day trips and I got to meet the seller and buyer face to face.

Good luck with the Can Am. They sound interesting and I see more and more on the road. Maybe someday.

Ubid

I guess you haven't seen the TV show, Shipping Wars. Exactly as you described. Makes for stupid television.

I found a shipper...

I received some rave reviews of a bike specific shipper called WolverineCycles. They will be picking it up next week and have it here the next day providing the weather cooperates.

I'm grinnin already!

Thanks for the replies and generous offers to "help" out.

I recently shipped a Willys CJ3A via a transportation company that the guy found on the internet...driver showed up with a homemade car trailer and a jalopy of an F-350 with a million miles, a lot of dents, and 6 different body colors...I was skeptical, but the Jeep made it to the new owner in perfect condition...if you're lucky, pictures of your bike could end up on one of the white trash towing sites...strapped to the roof of a 79 Toyota Tercel.

I realize that this is not the most helpful reply...my original point was that the CanAm is comparable to the Willys in size, weight, and stability...a flat deck or enclosed car trailer is probably best...I wish I had some useful advice. If you were closer, I'd pick it up for you for gas money. Maybe there's a member here with a trailer, a free weekend, and a lifelong desire to see Beaverton.

You and your wife will love the Spyder. It's still a relatively new venture for Can Am, especially the RT, but a good dealer with a good mechanic will keep you happy. If you haven't visited here already, give it a try: www.spyderlovers.com. We rode ours, with the Can Am trailer in tow, out to Glacier and Yellowstone NP's last year and had great time!

Hey "ikniess",

Last year I shipped my GSA from Maine to Utah with JCMotors. They specialize in shipping vehicles only, that it be a motorcycle, car, truck, ...etc. Good service and they were realy friendly. There's probably cheaper ways, but I felt confident that mike bike would get there in one piece with these guys! They offer insurance and my bike insurance covered it anyway, so That was a plus!

Here's a lnk to it! Good luck!!

http://www.motorcycleshippers.com/

If my GS keeps tipping over, I'm going to be looking at the CanAms.:banghead

I found this fellow

I received some rave reviews of a bike specific shipper called WolverineCycles. They will be picking it up next week and have it here the next day providing the weather cooperates.

I'm grinnin already!

Thanks for the replies and generous offers to "help" out.

I will post my experience when it gets here!

Hi, I am contemplating shipping my bike to Ca. and was curious as to details on pick up ,and delivery options, since I have never done this. My son is getting married in June in Fremont Ca., so if i sent the bike that way, does it get delivered to a local dealer, or would the delivery company deliver to an individual, if i could find a volunteer? Will they pick up at the house, or at my local dealer, 65 miles for me? Just looking at basic info on the mechanics of how this works. Plan on riding back to Pa. after the wedding.

If you use one of the big shippers, usually dealer to dealer shipment is best. Unless you happen to have easy load/unload access for a full size semi at your delivery points (no u-turns). I have used jc motors (www.motorcycleshippers.com) and federal (http://www.funtransport.com) in the past with no issues at all. If you require guaranteed delivery date, make sure to sign up for the option.

I give this one thumbs up

Hi, I just had one shipped from Portland Or. to Texas in December. I have nothing but praise on how it was handled. I'm not sure if they are the least expensive but they did do everything they said they would do and did it well. Here is the contact.
You can ask for BARB.
1-800-747-4100 or 309-694-4500...ext.2219
email: BARBFUGATE@FEDERALCOS.COM

Mileage on my distance was 2105 miles..total charge was $639.00 and that was from door to door. they put it in a crate when they pick it up and it stays in that crate until they deliver it. That price included insurance also.
If you have any questions just email me....rs100beemer@yahoo.com

Enclosed shipping

Hi, I just had one shipped from Portland Or. to Texas in December. I have nothing but praise on how it was handled. I'm not sure if they are the least expensive but they did do everything they said they would do and did it well. Here is the contact.
You can ask for BARB.
1-800-747-4100 or 309-694-4500...ext.2219
email: BARBFUGATE@FEDERALCOS.COM

Mileage on my distance was 2105 miles..total charge was $639.00 and that was from door to door. they put it in a crate when they pick it up and it stays in that crate until they deliver it. That price included insurance also.

recently shipped an R80G/S from near Palo Alto, CA to Tulsa, OK.
pretty stressful to say the least. went through a broker... quickly learn not to trust brokers.

while brokers serve a necessary function of keeping track where truckers are. they will deliver you to a wolf without blinking an eye.

the first trucking company he signed me up with seemed OK, until I started reading fine print in their contract. which gave them wholesale rights to do anything they wanted. including adding extra charges to just about everything. while giving no guarantees for delivery times. or who/where your bike could end up with. then they wanted to be paid 100% up front.... red flags goes up!

a Google search dug up a HUGE number of complaints. when one sees one or two complaints... no problems, no one is perfect. but when complaint after complaints shows up on Google.... warning signals goes up.

called up the broker and pitched a bitch about finding ALL the complaints against shipper he just had me put a deposit up with. told him I wanted a refund immediately....

to his credit... he quickly got to work and found a owner/operator that checked out on a Google search for complaints. new shipper charged only a deposit with balance due upon delivery. he picked up bike on time, maintained good communication and delivered bike in good condition to me ... on time.

moral of the story is ... brokers while necessary ... are not to be trusted. always double check who he is setting you up with before spending any $$$. Never pay 100% up front. get it in writing.

-------------
posted on 1-06-12 on ADV

Motorcycle Transport
Larry at B&B Motorcycle Transport just unloaded my R80G/S PD in Tulsa, OK.
Picked up in Palo Alto Cal 7 days ago.

Not connected in any way with B&B ... just wanted to let everyone know Larry did everything he promised and delivered my bike on time in good condition. His semi rig is specifically laid out to transport motorcycles. Once your motorcycle is loaded into trailer, it doesn't leave trailer until it's unloaded at destination.

He's now headed for Houston, then back north to Arkansas then Wisconsin. give him a call at 209 495 3729 cell... email: blacksheep99@sbcglobal.net

from what I can tell he's an owner/operator for his own big rig. Have no idea what he will charge you, but I was charged $595 from Palo Alto, Cal to Tulsa, OK... $100 deposit upon pickup, balance upon delivery. As you can tell... very happy with his service... good communication. would do business with again.

there's an elevator inside trailer that allows double decker carry up to 30 bikes.
DSC08971.jpg

DSC08972.jpg

DSC08973.jpg

Call Keyboard, I've shipped several bikes through them...from individual to individual and individual to dealer, never a problem. They operate out of Kentucky, are well coordinated and you communicate directly with their operations person, no in between person. They use a custom made transport device for each bike, which gives good protection and much flexibility in pickup and delivery. Most recent shipping was an R1200RT from Fort Wayne, Indiana to Portland, OR. At keyboardmotorcycleshipping.com

Back