• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200RT or GL1800???

Comparing the Wing to an RT is comparing apples to oranges to me. The Honda ST 1300 seems to be the closest bike to the RT they produce. It is the largest bike that Honda considers a Sport Touring bike. It also has a similar price to the RT.....

Kinda what I was thinking. The FJR and Concours would be competitors to the RT also. Unless I were carrying a passenger often, any of the above would be my choice over a Wing.

Buy the RT and learn to do your own basic maintaince. The twins are easy work on (evidenced by the fact I can do it), at least for basic stuff, then you only have to go to the dealer for a major issue. .

I'd be more concerned about warrant work and things that require expensive specialized tools.

Motor31, Well put,thanks. As my soon to be 32 year-old told me"Dad that's an old man bike". Wellllll ya. The K16 would be comparable to the wing,the R1200RT no. BUT thousands more. I love my other BMW's and ride them for what they can give me. If I bought the wing do you think they would let me in to the "National Rally" this summer? I still belong to the BMWMOA and will renew every year.
Motor31 I like your signature.
1der
USMC 0341 "66-72" Sgt. of Marines
Semper Fi

Yup I've heard the "old man bike" phrase quite a lot. As a matter of fact that was one of the main comments I heard when I got my first BMW in 76. I was told quite often that the BMW was an "old mans bike". I never worried about it. I was the one paying the bills so I rode what I wanted and criss crossed the country several times on my "old man bike" and saw lots of other bikes being towed by the "real bikers". Meh.

I was also told the Kawa that I rode for work wasn't any good either, but for more than a decade I knew differently. Prejudice and bias get in the way of seeing things as they are at times.

I stayed with beemers for more than 3 decades. For the most part they treated me well. At this time they, IMO, are not the bike they used to be in a few ways and are better in others. In my case they cost too much to own and do not fit me well.

I ride what I want. Anyone elses opinion about what I ride / drive is of no consequence as long as they are not paying for it. Until they do they can do as they want and I will do the same.

I don't know if you would be accepted at a beemer rally. I'm just really not a rally rider. :dunno There are plenty of folks in the MOA that are just as biased and stilted in their opinion as the Harley folks. As far as I know it's still a free country and the membership card says you are a part of the family whether you cage it or ride to a rally on whatever blows your dress up. If someone doesn't like the wing, tell them when they buy you a beemer, then they can have a say about what you ride.

The sig? I saw it, agreed with it and stole it. :)

BTW thanks for serving, nice to see other Brothers and Sisters in Arms ride. From an old tanker dog face, carry on jarhead. :usa

Since I have had both a Wing and an RT I can agree with those who wrote that they are like apples and oranges.
When I had the Wing I was very pleased with it but just couldn't get an RT out of my mind. Even after taking my wife on several demo rides she insisted she didn't like the RT but I bought one anyway.
I loved it. She hated it. Even though she has her own bike, a Kawasaki 900, when we rode separate bikes I seldom got out of 4th gear.
She didn't like the wind, the lack of space, how fast it went, etc.
I tried 3 different aftermarket windshields, new seat, all to no avail.
She was just too spoiled by the Goldwing.
In any event I wound up being at a dealer who had the Victory demo truck there and rode a couple of Victories. Would up getting a Cross Country Tour. She loves riding on the back of it. It's okay for me but I'd rather have a Goldwing because of the power, smoothness, response, etc.
Neither compare to the RT but again it gets back to how you ride, where and how long. If your wife doesn't ride back seat comfort becomes a non issue.
If you enjoy smooth comfort, no wind, and can deal with the weight during slow turns in the parking lot it's the Goldwing. Best compromise is to buy both.

FWIW: I prefer the lighter weight of the RT. The Wing runs it down low, and it is a great bike for what it is designed for, but is not a sport/tourer. It is a touring machine in the same market as the Ultra's in the HD world. I have never cared for the big heavy bikes ever, so I guess I was spoiled by the BMW's.

I do not understand the comments I see on the net about the RT being top heavy, and hard to maneuver at low speeds, etc. I can slow race this thing at a pace boring to someone walking, and have no problem with very low speed maneuvering so I guess I am missing something. I actually find that the RT is easier to work at low speeds (parking lot speeds) than my R1200R which was very easy to ride slowly and is 80 pounds lighter

I recently had a chat with a QC guy at one of our Riders Edge classes who asked why I had not chosen the Ultra or Wing over the RT.

In the case of the Wing, the RT has better mileage, better useful load (yes, the RT carries more useful load than the Wing...look it up!). The RT handles much quicker and has all the goodies I might want. At high speed cruise I find it much more stable than the Wing.

In the case of the Ultras, the RT has superior brakes, handling, fuel range, wind protection, heat control, and can lean into curves at way better angles than the HD. More important to me: There is NO chrome to polish. (Got that T-Shirt in the US Army 40 or so years ago!).

Essentially I agree with someone who had noted that the RT is the best mid weight sport/touring bike on the market, period. It is a joy to ride, and the SO is quite pleased with the large top-case as her backrest and the Kontour seat is outstanding for comfort for both of us.

Last edited:
Apple:
One-up touring: RT.
Ya gotta love the light weight.
Handles like a dream.

Orange:
Two-up touring: Wing.
The Wing has the best back seat in the industry, IMHO.
Smoothest motorcycle engine in production. Handles better than you'd think with all that mass, but not as sweet as an RT on a mountain road.

I've had both.

A fair comparison is very difficult between these two bikes, because they are so much different. How the heck can anybody compare a 1832cc flat 6cylinder to an 1170 boxer? A more fair comparison was done by Rider magazine most recent issue. They rode the Wing and the K1600GTL back to back over and over. Guess what?, no clear winner. The GL1800 is riding on 12 year old technology and the GTL is the latest stuff. That speaks volumes for the Honda. I rode the K16GT for an hour and a half last summer at Bloomsburg, all the while hoping that I would hate it so as not to need one. Not enough there to push me to need it. If I am riding solo, its the RT everytime,going loaded up with the wife on the back, its the Wing everytime.

My wife and GW

This is the reason I will never take my wife for a ride on a Gold Wing. She's happy with the back seat of my RS and I'm really glad for that. :love

My wife was just as happy as me when I dumped the GW. It is big and roomy but neither of us felt the seat was particularly good.

I had to spend a lot of bucks but with the Russel seat she is a happy rider. Also she likes the air she gets on the GS when it is 90-100 degrees here in Texas. Plus the GS has a way better ride than the wing.

Two thoughts: comparing an RT and a Goldwing is apples to oranges in the riding experience - both great bikes just way different. A K16GTL would be closer in experience (and price) but still very different riding experiences. I would first and foremost buy the bike that suits me the best regardless of the dealer convenience. Doing it the other way is kinda tail wagging the dog right?

Secondly, are you sure that the Honda shop is a dealer that you'd be comfortable trusting your Goldwing to for maintenance? Our local Honda dealer is a great business as it our BMW dealer but not every dealer is run by reputable people and offers good service. We have a few multi-brand rice burner dealers around here that I would give up motorcycling before I gave them my business again. "Screw the customer" seems to be their mission statement. Just saying, it's not all about location.

I was in the same boat about 3 months ago. I bought a 05 Goldwing last Feburary. The Honda dealer is town and the closes BMW dealer is about the same as you, hours away. The only difference is I know BMW mechanic in town if needed.

The reason I switch or sold my Wing to RT is I missed the feel and confort of the RT. I have said this hundred times in person or on fourms is I believe the RT to best all around motorcycle for me and my riding style. Like some said it is your money and your decision needs to make you happy.

Closest Gold Wing Mechanic?

You said your nearest Honda dealer is 37 miles away but do they have a Gold Wing mechanic? I had a GL1500 from 1989 to this year and had a terrible time finding a dealer who would work on my bike. They love to sell Wings but hate fixing them. In the last ten years, they refused to fix my bike because it was too old. I could do most of the things myself but the carbs finally stumped me.

If your closest Honda dealer is Neihaus or one of the few that support Gold Wings, then buy the GL1800. But if you would have to travel hours to find a mechanic that got certified on the GL series, then you are in the same boat as the BMW riders.

Ask your Honda dealer if they have a GL certified mechanic. If they don't, they will claim there is no GL certification.

Disillusioned Gold Whiner in Northern Virginia with a broken GL1500 for sale.

Dealer distance is no excuse with a dealer like MAX BMW. I live in Toms River, NJ and I purchased a bike from MAX in Brookfield, CT. I did a trade of my 2008 Triumph Rocket III Touring and purchased a 2011 R1200RT,with only 325 miles, over the phone with pictures online. They delivered my RT and picked up the Rocket. They also came back and picked up my RT for it's first service. MAX has a dealership in Troy, NY. Call them if you really want an RT.

Wings

My old man rode wings as long as I can remember. Mostly across Canada. Very reliable. Now he is 60 and rids a RT....I never have driven wing but they look
heavy....I did however drive Dad's RT through BC one summer and went out and bought a GS....after owning just about all makes of bikes out there...I am sold one the Bmers.

I just completed a 19-day, 7,000 mile trip across the US and through parts of Mexico on my RT, along with my buddy on his Gold Wing. One thing that stood out was that throughout the entire trip the BMW got around 20% better fuel mileage. On some of the slower sections, it seemed to be as high as 25% better.

So there's one more data point to add to the pile.

Back