• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200RT or GL1800???

1der

Don't get me wrong, please. I own 2 now, and have owned 4 BMW's in the past. BVMW's are a great bike. My problem is that the closest BMW dealer is 3 1/2 hours away, Honda dealer is 37 miles away. Even "Beemers" need dealer work sometime, and for me that travel time seems not worth it. What should I do?

Buy the RT and learn to do your own basic maintaince. The twins are easy work on (evidenced by the fact I can do it), at least for basic stuff, then you only have to go to the dealer for a major issue. The are various sources for parts on the internet, both offical and aftermarket.
If you lack the skills or the resources look for a BMW club in your area to join. You can usually fine someone in the club to mentor you and assit you until you gain the confidence to do it yourself. The club is also a good source to find an independent shop that may exist in your area.
Working on your own bike not only builds confidence (you KNOW it was done right) it also can save you a lot of money.

BMW or Honda

Alternatively, if you don't want to do your own wrenching you could buy the RT and move! I'm just saying, you know.

Kent

Don't get me wrong, please. I own 2 now, and have owned 4 BMW's in the past. BVMW's are a great bike. My problem is that the closest BMW dealer is 3 1/2 hours away, Honda dealer is 37 miles away. Even "Beemers" need dealer work sometime, and for me that travel time seems not worth it. What should I do?

I've had an RT and a GL1800. A couple things to consider.

1) Just because it's a Honda dealer doesn't mean they have experienced Gold Wing mechanics. You can order a Gold Wing at any Honda dealer, but the dealers that truely specialize in GW's are spread out regionally. You might want to contact your local chapter of GWRRA or GWTA to see where they are buying their bikes from. They may have a different opinion about the dealer 37 miles away.

2) GW's are ultra reliable, but do you really want a bike that weighs 1,000 pounds?

Everybody has their own opinion about bikes. It's hard to compare a GW to an RT. Usually you would see a GW to an LT to a Roadglide. Not a cut on anyone else's choices, but I'd pick the RT over the GW. If your SO rides pilon, she may prefer the GW sofa. When you're SO's happy, .....

I remember someone on this board describe the RT as the best medium weight, go long bike out there. I'd agree.

Traded my GL1800 (2008) for R1200RT (2011).....It's worth it. I'm thinking about taking the advise of "texpaul".

Excellent Advice!

All these guys have "nailed it" for advice, and I (as usual) have little to add, save this: Both of these bikes are GREAT machines, and, as has been pointed out, are quite different. The RT is smooth, powerful, offers great comfort over the long haul, and is distinctly a SPORT-tourer. The Wing is smooth, powerful, offers great comfort over the long haul and is a LUXO-tourer. Both bikes handle VERY well, and anybody who has owned/ridden a GL1800 will tell you that all that weight (mostly) disappears in the twisties -- no, really.

BUT -- IMHO, the RT is never gonna let you forget that you are riding a motorcycle. Those two big slugs are a-movin' and a-shakin' a little, and you gits to shiftin' them gears. . . The Wing? Well, let's just say it doesn't care much what gear you're in, and you (mostly) just turn the grip and go, once up to speed, and you can't "feel" much from the engine room, other than being shot from a cannon with little fanfare. Of course, you could run some straight-pipes to bring in some "character" but that would be wrong.

These machines are both "boxers," but the R1200 is the culmination of decades-worth of evolution of an amazing aircooled engine that won't be with us for much longer, if the rumors are true. I'd jump on this opportunity, and -- by all means, take texpaul's advice and get a couple of manuals and learn to do the basic stuff. IF you do that, you'll not have to be hauling that baby 3.5 hrs to the dealer very often, IF AT ALL, depending on how much you ride. I WOULD NOT LET THE "DEALER" ISSUE CLOUD YOUR MIND. This question is really about adopting a new member of the family, what kind of riding you/yours want to do, and how many sMiles it's going to put on your face over the next several years.

Hey, are we LUCKY to be having this discussion on a Saturday morning, or what? Yes, quite a problem you've got there. . .

Either way, you can't go wrong. Keep us posted, please. Repeat after me: RT, RT, RT, RT

Walking Eagle

All good advice.
Texpaul- Nothing local. I'm50 miles south of Buffalo and 45 miles north of Erie on Lake Erie.
Kent Niederhofer- Look I now live in NY I would love to move out of this state-of-confusion.LOL
BC1100S- Tried to deal with CountryRode, 3.5 hours away. So is the Club.
alzyck- The local dealer has a good service department. I'm riding a GW now, plus my wife will not ride.
Walking Eagle- VERY GOOD points.
To add-If the price was about the same for the two bikes it would be A BMW in a heart beat. CountryRode would NOT trade, Honda dealer is giving me $8500.00 and taking $1611.00 of the MSRP. I did ride a K1600GLT in Bloomsburg last summer and then Rode a R1200RT at Countryrode later on, WOW big difference. The K is more comparable to the wing. But a BIG price difference. I'll still have my two Beemers to ride, R80RT 160,000mi and a K1100LT 130,000mi and my son has a 69 R50 also we have a 1990 R100 minus a tranny(anyone have one laying around they aren't using?LOL)
At this point I'm in no hurry, in a few weeks I'll know which way I'm going.
Thanks everyone for your help.
1der
PS Walking Eagle- Yes we are lucky to be having this conversation on a Saturday morning- we should be RIDING!!!!!! LOL

Walking Eagle you could not have said it any better "BUT -- IMHO, the RT is never gonna let you forget that you are riding a motorcycle." That's what its all about.

Thank you and now to time to prepare for an afternoon ride.

Are you buying new? If so, I don't think it is a fair comparison. The RT and the GW are not in the same segment. Besides the price difference, the RT is still a "Sport Tourer", a term that does not apply to the GW. If there are any particular features that will make you lean towards the GW, compare the bike to a K1600GTL or GT.
If there are any particular features that will make you lean towards the RT, you should probably buy a RT.

I understand your situation. Long time beemer rider here, 76- 2011. I switched to the GW. All in all I am very happy with the choice. Yup it's a heavier machine but it is balance lower making the weight far less of an issue. At low speed it is far far more comfortable and with a 30" inseam both feet are flat on the ground.

The ride comfort is better as well since I am not quite so cramped on the saddle with my knees knocking the inside fairing edges or surface. My legs are more relaxed and I am sitting up straighter. I also have better air flow to the body with that window in the windshield. As far as twisties are concerned, it does just fine thank you. Maintenance costs are less than a third of what the 04 RT I had was. Doing it on my own was not an option, not because I am inept or lazy, you can't work on vehicles in RV parks and that is how I live. The same happens in many apt complexes as well.

In short, the bike lets me ride comfortably, economically (it cost less to buy too), reliably and is fun to boot. I did not have to change me to fit the bike unlike what some other folks want you to do. The idea that you have to move to another place just to own a brand of bike seems kind of out there to me.

It's your money, get what you want and have a good time riding it.

Motor31, Well put,thanks. As my soon to be 32 year-old told me"Dad that's an old man bike". Wellllll ya. The K16 would be comparable to the wing,the R1200RT no. BUT thousands more. I love my other BMW's and ride them for what they can give me. If I bought the wing do you think they would let me in to the "National Rally" this summer? I still belong to the BMWMOA and will renew every year.
Motor31 I like your signature.
1der
USMC 0341 "66-72" Sgt. of Marines
Semper Fi

National Rally on a Gold Wing

If I bought the wing do you think they would let me in to the "National Rally" this summer? I still belong to the BMWMOA and will renew every year."

You may have just been kidding, but of course you can attend the National Rally on a Gold Wing. Lots of different bikes there. You are a member of the MOA, that is all that is required.

There are members that attend in their motor homes!

If the RT floats your boat, BUY IT. I have had a GL1800 since new 2003, and had several new and used bikes come and go since. Every time I think of selling it, I take it for a ride and change my mind. I bought a RT new in late 2009 and feel it is the best bike in its class for me. It may need dealer service once per year, which is no big deal. Once, I actually scheduled the work with Max and got a loaner bike. Took off and rode the Adirondaks for a couple days, then went back and picked up my bike and road it home. I made a cool little mini vacation out of a dealer service. I live probably in the middle between you and Country Rode BMW. You have to be able to jump on the Thruway and get there in 2 hours, granted I hate riding the interstate and sympathise with you there. My Honda dealer is 22 minutes away, but it is still a logistical PIA if I have to drop off the bike and arrange for a ride home and again when picking up. The RT is worth any inconvenience, for me. Good Riding to You!

Nothing local. I'm50 miles south of Buffalo and 45 miles north of Erie on Lake Erie.

Sound like you are quite close to Burlington, Ontario where there is a BMW dealer. You could buy in NY (better pricing) and for service, just take quick hops across the border. :bliss

Paul_F- I live in NY. Canada won't let me in, I had a DWI 9 years ago. LOL-

GeorgeK1200RS- Yes just kidding. Been a BMWMOA member for 23 years. Planning on going one way or the other to the "National" this year

BC1100S- Hasn't been a BMW dealer in Buffalo for years. Aurora, Ohio is 3 hours also.

Thanks
1der

There's no BMW dealer in Buffalo? That's a surprise. Is Aurora OH (just southeast of Cleveland) any closer to you?

There are 3 BMW motorcycle dealers within New York State. One is in Manhatten, which for me, may as well be on another planet. Max is in Brunswick,NY which is 308 miles away, door to door. Country Rode(Fairport)is 67 miles away, not bad. Several years ago the local dealer closed, in part due to Mottorrad demanding more floor space and exclusivitey. Two local enthusiasts approached Mottorrad about opening a new dealership in the Buffalo(southtowns)area. Money was no object, as it was to be a rich guys hobby, so to speak. Mottorad said no, and something to the effect that they felt that Country Rode served the area in question. Apparently they care so much about customer convenience that they want dealers to be hundreds of miles apart. I have always felt that if they were serious about selling bikes in this country, they would be sold and serviced at least partially at BMW car dealers, as well as at stand alone bike shops.

I was in this position once. Trying to compare the Honda to the BMW. Wife likes the back seat of the wing. I say it that way because the wing really feels like it has a back seat. That said, we hopped on my GSA and went to a Honda dealer to test the wing. We road about 130 miles to the dealer. We were going somewhere else beyond the dealer's location, but had been invited to a test ride during an open house.

So we rode a new 2011 wing. Even rode two different wing trikes for the heck of it. The trikes were like driving a truck. Maybe someday I may need to ride on three wheels. But right now, at 55, I'm not ready.

The two wheeled wing at 800 miles on it. It is one of their test ride machines. Not broken in yet for sure. We rode on back roads, interstate, some twisty roads, and in some small town traffic with red lights. Wife liked that big back seat with the arm rests.

I thought the bike would be a lot smoother. I mean, a six cylinder ought to be smooth. And have a lot of get up and go. At 70 mph, I cranked the throttle and it just kind of moaned louder and gradually increased in speed. Boring. And while it didn't exactly feel like a truck, there was nearly total disconnect to the riding experience. No fee lto the road at all.

My wife and I both told the dealer it was a nice bike, but it doesn't hold a candle to the GSA in terms of fun. But, if you want a car without a roof and windows, I guess it's alright.

Comparing the Wing to an RT is comparing apples to oranges to me. The Honda ST 1300 seems to be the closest bike to the RT they produce. It is the largest bike that Honda considers a Sport Touring bike. It also has a similar price to the RT.

According to the Honda website, both the ST1300 and the Wing has a fuel mileage rating of 35 MPG. That is the same fuel mileage rating as my 5 passenger 200 HP car. My friends with an RT generally exceed 50 MPG when we travel.

I would consider the Wing to be the Lincoln Town Car of motorcycles and the RT to be the BMW 5 series.

Back