• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R100RT Fairing Removal Help

rapz

I need to remove the fairing on my 1979 RT and wondered if the steps on "how to remove" are anywhere on the forum. I can't seem to find any. I'd like to know what to start with and how to progress in its removal. Thanks!

I think having something like this as a do-it-yourself might be good to develop. If you find something, post it here. Also, you might consider taking some good photos in a step-by-step documentation of the process. We could then turn it into a DIY for later use.

The Clymer R-Series 70-94 work shop manual has a pretty good RT fairing removal/dissasembly section. Step by step with pics. Haynes manual is pretty skimpy on fairing removal.

I took an RT faring off a R80RT, first thing is I took gas tank off so not to ding that up. Windshield off then put that in a safe place. Took the 3 piece lowers off ( The lowers around headers have a space to take off without removing header pipe but I would take headers off and anti seize threads anyway. The upper faring will have to come off as one piece due to the rivets that hold the dash (dash is the part that holds volt meter and clock) and the storage areas. Then start with wiring that goes to turn signals and driving light ( driving light is the light bar above main head light). Make sure to remove glass and rubber part around headlight (4 screws under rubber part) due to those parts are getting harder to find. The glass and all turn signal lenses and clear light bar will have to be removed before removing fairing from brackets.
Then there are 2 metal brackets that support the fairing, 1 is connected under gas tank and second is connected to the steering head ( be careful not to lose those bolts because if you put the fairing or a RS fairing back on those have to be the exact bolts due to their length)
When I did my bike at first I thought the process would be a lot harder but once you get into it the project was quite fun and thanks to Mac for all his help. For me the hardest part was replacing the freshly painted RS fairing (thousand dollar paint job for all the fairing and saddle bags to match) Good luck and send me a message if I can help more. TAKE pictures. Kevin:brow

I finally did remove the fairing this morning and other than dealing with some fairly frozen bolts/screws it went okay. Let's see if I remember how to reinstall it!

Oh boy! I was hopped up on pain meds when I removed mine. After getting off the narcotics, and getting paint work done I was truly challenged by the reinstall process. But, it went fairly smooth after I thought through it.

Keep that center/ upper clip together as one and things will be simple. The most difficult is putting the windscreen on. That requires imagination and patience because you'll never be able to see what you are doing and it's difficult to get your tools up there. Those little rubber peckers on the lower screen seal are also gonna mess with ya.

When you put it back together, put the center clip on and put your gas tank in before you tighten the bracket to the steering post. You need to center the fairing on the gas tank. Lay rags between your fairing inners and tank to protect the tank paint. I'd recommend you get some of that plastic film and put it on the tank where your fairing inners/foam strip may touch it during service. You'll never see it and the film will protect your paint.

Good luck!

I bought my RT with the fairing removed. I'm getting to the place with the result of the bike --carbs, tank, etc, -- where assembly of the fairing is next. Please take photos and notes when you reinstall...'cause I know I'm going to need them.

Mac

I'm taking my fairing to painter today so it'll be a week or so before I can get back to re-assembly. Will keep you posted.

Reassembly of a newly fresh painted fairing is when the fun starts. Be sure to have a friend help to keep fresh painted pieces from being scaped.

giving it a go

since acquiring my RT, i've never felt comfy with the full fairing. seeing this pic on the BMW website got me motivated. thanks for the thread. see you in Hamburg NY this Summer.

Attachments

• Backside-Cameron-op.jpg
    Backside-Cameron-op.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 181
I took an RT faring off a R80RT, first thing is I took gas tank off so not to ding that up. Windshield off then put that in a safe place. Took the 3 piece lowers off ( The lowers around headers have a space to take off without removing header pipe but I would take headers off and anti seize threads anyway. The upper faring will have to come off as one piece due to the rivets that hold the dash (dash is the part that holds volt meter and clock) and the storage areas. Then start with wiring that goes to turn signals and driving light ( driving light is the light bar above main head light). Make sure to remove glass and rubber part around headlight (4 screws under rubber part) due to those parts are getting harder to find. The glass and all turn signal lenses and clear light bar will have to be removed before removing fairing from brackets.
Then there are 2 metal brackets that support the fairing, 1 is connected under gas tank and second is connected to the steering head ( be careful not to lose those bolts because if you put the fairing or a RS fairing back on those have to be the exact bolts due to their length)
When I did my bike at first I thought the process would be a lot harder but once you get into it the project was quite fun and thanks to Mac for all his help. For me the hardest part was replacing the freshly painted RS fairing (thousand dollar paint job for all the fairing and saddle bags to match) Good luck and send me a message if I can help more. TAKE pictures. Kevin:brow

You'll also want to remove the ignition switch from the fairing ... which will prove very much simpler (and safer) than removing the wiring from the switch.

You will have to remove the wiring from the gauges, however, and if you can get the wiring off the turn signals and park light you don't really have to remove these from the fairing in order to get the fairing off the bike. You will like the access removing the park light provides for getting the nylok nuts off the windshield mount, however.

Possibly someone can do it, but I think the likelihood of being able to reuse the windshield-to-fairing gasket after removing the windshield is about nil. Bet you destroy the gasket when removing the windshield. New gasket means separating the dash and fairing and installing new rivets. VERY nice to have the official rivet tool.

Back