Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Compressed air cylinders - how many?

Quote Originally Posted by David13 View Post
    ... What next? Nitrogen?
    dc
    Helium! It makes your bike lighter, giving you better gas milage!
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by David13 View Post
    Shoulda coulda woulda take only 3.
    Why bother when the pump is $10. If it works 2 or 3 times, it was worth it.
    dc
    No room for a pump as I mentioned on a couple of bikes...the GS has a tire repair center on it as does the K when it has cases attached.

C02 is in the air you breathe and the fizzy drinks you might enjoy...

And yes. wearing gloves unless you have one of the holders I described is suggested.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

I bought the $10 Slime pump at Walmart and carry it in my side case all the time along with a bottle of slime for dirt bikes. I have a Dakar with tubes, so the plug kits won't work.

I am hoping the slime will seal well enough to get me to the next BMW dealer. I have heard that slime gunks up the wheel, but I would think that the tube would eliminate that problem. The $15 tube is going to be thrown away anyway, so I would guess there would be no mess.

I hear that the rear tire is a beast to try to change with tire irons, so I hope the slime and pump combination will do the job in a pinch.

Has anyone had any actual experience with slime for a temporary tire repair?
    Glenn
    2003 F650GS Dakar

Quote Originally Posted by gblawler View Post
    Has anyone had any actual experience with slime for a temporary tire repair?
    depends on how big a puncture...works OK on most small holes . And yes, you will be throwing that tube away...at least I do.

If you are travelling, it sure helps to learn how to break the tire down and have a spare tube. Flats don't always happen within driving distance to help...just sayin'

If you practice at the house a few times, it goes so much easier in the rain/dark/cold or combo of all. New tires are stiff, but,they do loosen up some after riding.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    If you are travelling, it sure helps to learn how to break the tire down and have a spare tube. Flats don't always happen within driving distance to help...just sayin'

If you practice at the house a few times, it goes so much easier in the rain/dark/cold or combo of all. New tires are stiff, but,they do loosen up some after riding.
    I would like to know how to replace tires and tubes myself. I just replaced both tires last year at a BMW dealer. They were doing a 12K maintenance at the same time and I asked them to come and get me when they started working on the tires so I could at least watch someone else replace them, but they "forgot" to come and get me. This would be a good topic for a YouTube video. This is timely because my wife just popped the rear tire on her electric scooter; new tire and tube are on the way. I am going to give it a try and see if I can get the new tire and tube on. Someone has a YouTube video in 2 parts, about 20 minutes, showing a guy replacing a scooter tire. I assume he has done it many times and it did not look like a walk in the park for him.

One thought I had was to hope for a sunny day and leave the tire in the sun a while to warm it up. Any other tips to make it easier to get the new tire on without pinching the tube?
    Glenn
    2003 F650GS Dakar

One thought I had was to hope for a sunny day and leave the tire in the sun a while to warm it up. Any other tips to make it easier to get the new tire on without pinching the tube?
    The sun does help. Other things that will make it easier:

Three long tire irons, the airhead ones are pretty short, don't know what comes with an F650GS.
    A spray bottle full of diluted dish soap or some tire lube.
    Old shampoo bottle(s) to cut up and use as rim protectors.
    Baby powder to dust the new tube.
    Wooden blocks, 2x4s or the like, to support the wheel by the rim, not the hub. This way you can stand on the tire to break the bead. Another way is to SLOWLY roll the bike around to break the bead. There are tools for this, too, from simple to complex.
    Put enough air in the tube to give it shape before installing it.
    I'll probably get one of those inner tube snakes before I next change my tires
    Justin in Somerville, MA

I would like to know how to replace tires and tubes myself. I just replaced both tires last year at a BMW dealer. They were doing a 12K maintenance at the same time and I asked them to come and get me when they started working on the tires so I could at least watch someone else replace them, but they "forgot" to come and get me. This would be a good topic for a YouTube video. This is timely because my wife just popped the rear tire on her electric scooter; new tire and tube are on the way. I am going to give it a try and see if I can get the new tire and tube on. Someone has a YouTube video in 2 parts, about 20 minutes, showing a guy replacing a scooter tire. I assume he has done it many times and it did not look like a walk in the park for him.

Here is my hero Jeff Fredette. Tire change and air filter change in less that 10 minutes. OK so it not a new shiney BMW and he doesnt care about scratching the rims...but it still a good basic tire change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVl6grp3Sww
    Mike Davis
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

I cant count how many tires I have changed. I know dirt bikes are a little easier, but the 'trick' in my book is plenty of lube on the trie bead. an EXTREMELY clean rim surface inside the rim where the tire seats, minimum 4 tire irons, and I put the tube inside the tire before mounting it. Then with just a bit of air in the tube as said before. Then push the tire on the rim. Then feed the valve thru the hole with a couple tire irons. Now, when you start prying on the tire to get it on, be sure to keep the bead on the side that is already on pushed up into the groove of the rim. This will make the other bead go on soooo much easier. Hard to do with stiff street tires no doubt, so four hands does help.
    Mike Davis
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

I... hate slime.
    Honestly I would rather walk.

The little CO2 cartridges are steel - seems like rust would be the only concern.
    I only carry 6, just in case my little compressor goes belly-up. What are the odds, right?

I carry a mushroom shooter and no gummy worms - I seem to have no knack for worms.