• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Compressed air cylinders - how many?

One thought I had was to hope for a sunny day and leave the tire in the sun a while to warm it up. Any other tips to make it easier to get the new tire on without pinching the tube?

The sun does help. Other things that will make it easier:

Three long tire irons, the airhead ones are pretty short, don't know what comes with an F650GS.
A spray bottle full of diluted dish soap or some tire lube.
Old shampoo bottle(s) to cut up and use as rim protectors.
Baby powder to dust the new tube.
Wooden blocks, 2x4s or the like, to support the wheel by the rim, not the hub. This way you can stand on the tire to break the bead. Another way is to SLOWLY roll the bike around to break the bead. There are tools for this, too, from simple to complex.
Put enough air in the tube to give it shape before installing it.
I'll probably get one of those inner tube snakes before I next change my tires

I would like to know how to replace tires and tubes myself. I just replaced both tires last year at a BMW dealer. They were doing a 12K maintenance at the same time and I asked them to come and get me when they started working on the tires so I could at least watch someone else replace them, but they "forgot" to come and get me. This would be a good topic for a YouTube video. This is timely because my wife just popped the rear tire on her electric scooter; new tire and tube are on the way. I am going to give it a try and see if I can get the new tire and tube on. Someone has a YouTube video in 2 parts, about 20 minutes, showing a guy replacing a scooter tire. I assume he has done it many times and it did not look like a walk in the park for him.

One thought I had was to hope for a sunny day and leave the tire in the sun a while to warm it up. Any other tips to make it easier to get the new tire on without pinching the tube?

Here is my hero Jeff Fredette. Tire change and air filter change in less that 10 minutes. OK so it not a new shiney BMW and he doesnt care about scratching the rims...but it still a good basic tire change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVl6grp3Sww

I cant count how many tires I have changed. I know dirt bikes are a little easier, but the 'trick' in my book is plenty of lube on the trie bead. an EXTREMELY clean rim surface inside the rim where the tire seats, minimum 4 tire irons, and I put the tube inside the tire before mounting it. Then with just a bit of air in the tube as said before. Then push the tire on the rim. Then feed the valve thru the hole with a couple tire irons. Now, when you start prying on the tire to get it on, be sure to keep the bead on the side that is already on pushed up into the groove of the rim. This will make the other bead go on soooo much easier. Hard to do with stiff street tires no doubt, so four hands does help.

I... hate slime.
Honestly I would rather walk.

The little CO2 cartridges are steel - seems like rust would be the only concern.
I only carry 6, just in case my little compressor goes belly-up. What are the odds, right?

I carry a mushroom shooter and no gummy worms - I seem to have no knack for worms.

Back