• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Issue with my 2007 BMW F800st..

middleagecrazy

I'm having an issue with my F800st. When the bike runs for about 50-80 miles, it runs fine. However, later on it seems to be "starving" for fuel and the engine rpms run erratic to the point where I need to give it gas to get moving in first gear and it sounds like its trying to cut out at highway speeds. The bike has 19,xxx miles on it and I instaled a K&N Air filter this year and had a Scorpion carbon fiber exhaust put on the middle of last year and it ran fine. Also the ABS light stays on and the yellow triangle for tire pressure comes on but the tire pressure is fine ( I check before each ride). Does anyone seem to know whats going on? I'm taking the bike to a BMW Dealer on April 9th and I'd like to know what to expect/what they are going to tell me is wrong and the cost. Thanks everyone.

The first issue sounds like a plugged gas tank vent. As bike runs for awhile, the vent doesn't allow air into the tank as fuel is drawn out, the tank develops a vacuum, and the engine seems to - and does - starve for fuel.

The ABS light on could be a marginal battery. If you run the bike for ten or fifteen minutes, shut it down and restart and the light goes out, the battery is weak. It could also be a bad sensor, or a fault in the ABS wiring, or (rare) a fault in the ABS brain.

The tire pressure indicator...I have no idea.

How about telling us your name and location? We're pretty friendly around here.

Thanks...

Thanks for your input dbrick. I really like the bike and I hate to see it sit in the garage when the weather around here has been almost perfect for riding. I'm Dan and I live in Joliet, IL. I joined this web site today and really like what I've seen/read. The (bad) picture of me is from last year while doing the Deals Gap ride with my brother (2006 Honda Interceptor.....Imagine the duels we had) and a friend of ours who had a Buell Ulysses.

You may want to do a search on the f800riders org to see if you can fix some of the things before you go to the stealer. If out of warranty, you would get to pay for all repairs.

If battery is original, good bet its at end of life. May wish to replace before April visit.

Good luck and happy riding.

My cousin with the same bike had something similar going on. The issue was only after the bike warmed up. There was something with one of the fuel lines that as the bike got warmer the fuel lines get more flexible and would kink at one of the bends. The fix was to put a flexible enough spring around where the bend was to keep it from kinking.

There was a recall on the tank vent hose routing. It would pinch on something and cause what problem I don't know, but that could be it.
F800 Riders have a lot of info on that bike, very specific.
The other issues require further diagnosis to know what it is.
dc

BMW F800st

I'm having the exact same problems.. Please post if you get some answers! Cuts out
like no fuel and the yellow triangle stays on too. air pressure is fine. Think it's a faulty fuel pump?

I have the replacement vent assembly ready to install as indeed the connector to the line is easily broken. Actually I found it had been "repaired" by a dealer I no longer work with.
I guess I was lucky as so far my '07 ST has been good to me.

Welcome 165054

Hey 165054. I took the bike to the stealer in May and they put it on the computer and cleared out any codes that were stored....It does run better. As for the yellow triangle-I found out that the batteries in the TPM can run low and the bike is sometimes unable to pick up any reading therefore it senses the tire pressure is "low". I was told by my mechanic that when I change my tires, I should change the TPM in both tires and take care of the issue.

Back