• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hypothetical Question

dukekaboom

One Man Wolfpack
So I'm starting what I would expect to be a two year process of negotiating with my wife about getting another bike. I am currently the owner of a 2009 BMW K1300S that is an absolute pleasure. And if the wife was okay with it I would add an S1000RR and a R1250GSA (when the water-cooled version comes out) to the stable. I will do well to add one additional bike to the herd so I seriously doubt that I will convince her that three is the right number.

With that as background, and with the assumption that I might have an S1000RR and an R1250GSA in the stable, do you guys think I really need the K-bike? In your mind is it different enough from the two types of riding I can do with the other two that it warrants having a debate on a third bike? Let me hear what you think.

Kent

Yes, keep all three. Each are very different and the differences will keep your riding skills up!

If you can only have two, I would go with the RR for track days and day rides, and the GSA for long tours.

Gsa

I will never, never, never, never sell my GSA!!!!! Its just too all purpose, too good at everything from cross country to grocery runs to gravel, etc. The 1200GS also has an undefinable feeling of rider 'security' that no other motorcycle I have ever owned had.

Having ridden the K1300 (a gt version), I would say that it is a great motorcycle but also having had a few sportbikes over the years, that you'll find it a lot less work getting smooth acceleration/deceleration to the rear wheel with a chain final drive. I have an S1000rr (just bought) and you will find it to be the least "useful" motorcycle you own. However, it fits in the car world, that "AC Cobra" niche quite well :wow

I currently have 2 sportbikes and a GSA, and keeping the 1300, if affordable, is probably smart. I may sell the TL when restoration is completed and more spare $ is available and look at some sort of S/T machine...TL is currently my track ride since it was cheap, is paid for, and tons of old parts are available. A paid for MC is a requirement at the track since the insurance companies have twigged to the fact that it doesn't constitute a public road- check your policy.

Choices

I have a 2007 K1200S and quite enjoy it. I bought a S1000RR a few weeks ago, and wonder now if I will ever ride my K bike again!! So I understand your quandary. I am thinking of getting a GS 800 to replace the K1200 bike.

Did not really answer your question, but a similar perspective. In my case, it's more about garage space than wife's agreement.

Cheers

The K13S is an epic bike.
But w/ a GS and an S1 to choose from....not sure if she'd get the attention she deserves.
I'd find a sweet vintage Beemer to keep those newbie's company and let the 13 go....she's a great bike, but the S1 and GS overlap the K13S completely.
:german

well...
I own an 08 RTand also ride a K1200RS. Have at one point or another demo'ed or ridden most of the other recent models.
I guess I'm one of those who doesn't go ga ga over the big GS. Were I to spend my own $ on one I'd take the 800 or even the 650 first. The big Rs size and weight are a nuisance off road despite its tractor capability and the masochisitic tendencies of some of its owners to prove you really can take a big pig in the dirt- but you can also take a school bus on tractor tires...
The power curve of the R motor takes some getting used to after being on a K bike. The R winds up as slow as a hand wound watch and doesn't even come close to the K's broad power band.
But the R makes a great highway runner at speeds up as a high as 90 or so- anything above that I'd want a K for any extended interval. I prefer its handling and power at more extreme speeds.

You'll take a bath if you dump the K. The motor issues have made some skittish about them.

So I figure its a lot more about how you want to use it. For myself, I can't take long stretches on crotch rockets anymore so the S1000 wouldn't get my vote though I'd be happy to borrow anyone elses for brief periods...Never seen a machine with too much power.....

So You Need Both...

Best of both worlds here...'02 K1200RS for 2-up motel rallying/traveling, '09 R1200GSA for 2-up camping rallying/traveling. Both will get you a ticket unless you have a Valentine 1. Both a Hoot!

The easy answer is "all the above".
I am currently at 6 bikes and counting, all different, all special.
It is like deciding which of your kids you would sell first.
I am looking at a K1600GTL but my K1200LT runs and looks great.
Since I bought the LT I can't get my wife on the back of any of the others except for short trips.

Back