Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Thinking of taking the plunge. Need input

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    19

    Thinking of taking the plunge. Need input

    Anyone gone from the 1200rt to the GT1600 in particular, or the GTL? Care to share any particular feelings about the differences? Seating ergonomics, comfort, etc. Sure would appreciate it. Can't seem to find a K1600GT to demo.
    Last edited by pfoushee; 01-19-2012 at 12:49 AM.

  2. #2
    Registered User realworld51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canton, MI USA
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by pfoushee View Post
    Anyone gone from the 1200rt to the GT1600 in particular, or the GTL? Care to share any particular feelings about the differences? Seating ergonomics, comfort, etc. Sure would appreciate it. Can't seem to find a K1600GT to demo.
    Everyone's opinion is personal and may be different. One can also speak all day about the vast technical differences between the two and that may or may not mean anything to the listener.

    I moved from R12RT to K16GT and am totally happy with the decision. My minimal 5'7" stature required the low seat on the RT and that was a really uncomfortable position to be in for me, cramped fore-and-aft to say the least. I still have a low seat on my K16GT but even with that the cockpit is much more roomy. The K16GT is 200 pounds heavier that the RT but that only really applies when pushing or paddling it; I'm getting the same fuel mileage with the 6 as with the Boxer twin!

    Beyond the physical, every sensory input from the K16GT is a seduction in the best sense of the word. Sorry, but that sealed the deal for me. After all, isn't motorcycle riding all about emotion? It is for me!

    BTW, I demo'd the GTL and, knowing the subtle but important differences between that and the GT, needed no further "encouragement".
    Steve W
    Canton, MI USA
    2012 K 1600 GT (from 8/6/2011)

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by realworld51 View Post
    Everyone's opinion is personal and may be different. One can also speak all day about the vast technical differences between the two and that may or may not mean anything to the listener.

    I moved from R12RT to K16GT and am totally happy with the decision. My minimal 5'7" stature required the low seat on the RT and that was a really uncomfortable position to be in for me, cramped fore-and-aft to say the least. I still have a low seat on my K16GT but even with that the cockpit is much more roomy. The K16GT is 200 pounds heavier that the RT but that only really applies when pushing or paddling it; I'm getting the same fuel mileage with the 6 as with the Boxer twin!

    Beyond the physical, every sensory input from the K16GT is a seduction in the best sense of the word. Sorry, but that sealed the deal for me. After all, isn't motorcycle riding all about emotion? It is for me!

    BTW, I demo'd the GTL and, knowing the subtle but important differences between that and the GT, needed no further "encouragement".
    Thank you. That is exactly the kind of input I want. Technical I can read. The feeling and sensory experience is what I pay for. I want to order a GT, but am trying to hold off until I can ride one. Had a GS, but never made it off road. I don't think the weight will bother as the GT weighs a 100lbs less than my last two Harley's.

    Are your feet any closer to the ground than on the RT?

    Philip

  4. #4
    jane6robert4
    Guest

    Exclamation

    I'm 6' with a 32" inseam, and on my RT I was always on my toes at a stop, even after replacing the stock seat with a Sargent. I have the GTL with the high seat, and I'm flatfooted, and loving it! The bars are a bit further back than the RT, and the pegs a little lower. The differences for me are the lack of vibration, smoothness of powering up, terrific (Ferrari) sound, and all the electronics.

  5. #5
    Registered User realworld51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canton, MI USA
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by pfoushee View Post
    Thank you. That is exactly the kind of input I want. Technical I can read. The feeling and sensory experience is what I pay for. I want to order a GT, but am trying to hold off until I can ride one. Had a GS, but never made it off road. I don't think the weight will bother as the GT weighs a 100lbs less than my last two Harley's.

    Are your feet any closer to the ground than on the RT?

    Philip
    Yes, not because the seat height is any less (30.7" low seat in low position on the GT) but because the bike width is narrower at the seat. Less structure to reach around to get from the seat to the ground.
    Steve W
    Canton, MI USA
    2012 K 1600 GT (from 8/6/2011)

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by 44492001 View Post
    I'm 6' with a 32" inseam, and on my RT I was always on my toes at a stop, even after replacing the stock seat with a Sargent. I have the GTL with the high seat, and I'm flatfooted, and loving it! The bars are a bit further back than the RT, and the pegs a little lower. The differences for me are the lack of vibration, smoothness of powering up, terrific (Ferrari) sound, and all the electronics.
    With 30" inseam, rt leaves me up on the balls of my feet. I can handle it because of my experience, but I don't prefer it. Have sat on GTl. Easily flat footed. Really interested in the Gt though. Have not even seen one yet,much less been able to demo. Sure would like to order, but hesitant.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by realworld51 View Post
    Yes, not because the seat height is any less (30.7" low seat in low position on the GT) but because the bike width is narrower at the seat. Less structure to reach around to get from the seat to the ground.
    That is what I wanted to hear. After sitting on the GTL, I suspected it might be that way, but was unsure.

    It is not so smooth, that it becomes "soulless", is it? I know that may sound silly, but it does cross my mind.

  8. #8
    Registered User realworld51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canton, MI USA
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by pfoushee View Post
    That is what I wanted to hear. After sitting on the GTL, I suspected it might be that way, but was unsure.

    It is not so smooth, that it becomes "soulless", is it? I know that may sound silly, but it does cross my mind.
    Call it anything else but don't call it soulless! That's the Goldwing...
    Steve W
    Canton, MI USA
    2012 K 1600 GT (from 8/6/2011)

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    19
    LOL.We can't have no soul, can we?

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    19
    Well it looks like I will get to sit on a 1600GT tomorrow or Tuesday. Dealer is building the crate now. Will not get to demo it, as it belongs to a buyer. Still, I am very much looking forward to it.

  11. #11
    Love 2 Ride
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bremerton WA
    Posts
    4
    I have been riding my K1600gt for about 1 month. I went from a 1150RT to the GT. The gt riding position is allot like the RT where the GTL is more upright and goldwing like. I did get to sit on both and test ride a GT before buying. I have a 30" inseam and get the balls of my feet on the ground with the standard seat set in the low position, the same as my RT. This bike has soul. Every time I roll on the throttle the sound and acceleration make me laugh like a little kid. The handling is much better than the RT, it rolls into the corners quicker, maintains a line with very little input, and is very stable. I am happy with the stock seat so far and the comfort level is better than my RT. The hand protection is not as good as the RT (more wind on the hands) and I see my elbows in the mirrors where I did not on the RT. I would not give this bike up now though, I love this bike!!!

  12. #12
    Klaus Von Beemerhausen
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Orient, Oregon
    Posts
    101
    There simply isn't' that much difference between the GT, and GTL. I took both on a one hour test drive in Reno when the Demo truck was there.

    I road the GTL without the top case. Those that think there is a big difference simply amaze me. With the options you get with the GTL, I think it is by far the better value. YMMV

  13. #13
    ricoefamoso
    Guest

    Go For It ...

    My 2012 K1600 GT is an amazing machine. Took delivery on November 17, 2011. Rode RT's for many miles and thought the RT was the only moto to own ... NOT SO ! My GT is comfortable, my feet rest flat on the ground when stopped (I am 5' 11" tall), I notice no difference in the weight between my R1200RT ... it is balanced perfectly. The added weight however helps with stability when on the highway and dealing with cross winds from trucks, or when crossing high bridges (I live and ride in Florida). I had the opportunity of riding both the GTL and the GT, each for an hour or more. Regardless of what others may say, in my opinion, the GTL is uncomfortable ... the stock seat is nasty ... pushes you forward and crushes one's "jewels", and there is no forward lean ... you seem to sit straight up much like a Goldwing. The windshield on the GTL was a nighmare for me ... as even in the full down position, it hit me in the pupils of my eyes, causing distortion of my field of vision (again, my opinion). Everything written about the electronics is accurate ... and amazing. Mine is tricked out ... GT top case, Engline Guards, and other things. My Garmon IV from the R1200RT fits perfectly in the GT. Engine feel is different ... 1st gear is powerful and unlike the R1200RT boxer engines where I needed to downshift into 1st gear when making a hard turn at a light, a slow hard turn is smooth as silk in 2nd gear. I am delighted with this fine machine and my advice is to find a dealer who will extend a test ride to you and then go for it ...
    Best regards, Ricoefamoso

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hailey, ID
    Posts
    11
    This discussion has been very helpful. Tomorrow I am doing the 21/2 hour ride to the BMW dealer to look at the GT and GTL. I am giving serious consideration to trading my 1200RT in on the GT. The dealer has a GTL demo but only a owner GT. I will be able to ride the GTL but only sit on the GT. I am more interested in the GT, but concerned about the riding position. If it is similar to the RT then I am ok. If it is to "sporty" or too much forward lean then I will stick to the RT. I like to ride 8 hours/days, so riding comfort is a high priority.

    I have read a lot of the post on this forum on this subject and it seems that those that have switched from RT to 1600 GT have been very satisfied. Any comments would be helpful before I make a decision in the next week or so.

  15. #15
    Registered User PittsDriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    270
    I only got to test ride a GTL before making my decision to buy a GT. My dealer was very kind to me about loaning their demo bike and gave it to me over the Thanksgiving break for 5 days during which I put several hundred miles on it. I really think the GT and GTL are two different bikes based on the same bones. My motivation is to be comfortable for all day and multi-day rides of a "connect the twisties" type of profile. The more athletic ergos on the GT combined with the more performance oriented ESA map made it the right choice for me. I've also found it to be very comfortable in the saddle all day - with the stock factory GT seat.

    You won't regret either choice but I couldn't be happier with the GT. This thing is a terrain following missile that loves to be ridden hard and offers up one of the most comfortable cockpits on any bike anywhere in which to spend they day, or week, or more. I still keep pinching myself that there's one sitting in my garage.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •