• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Route assist: Colorado Spgs to Des Moines

J

JWHITE518

As part of my trek out to the midwest that includes the Omaha IBA meet, I've got a leg from Colorado Springs to Des Moines. I'm looking at the maps for anything with dotted lines, but there ain't much once you hit the prairie. Can anyone recommend some good riding or even interesting attractions in the vicinity? I did spot a Pony Express museum in Kansas. Hail to the early endurance riders.

P.S. Anybody want to ride to the top of Pike's Peak with me?

I've got a map from the state of Iowa that shows "dotted" roads (scenic byways), but no roads south of I-80 and west of I-35 are designated scenic byways. The closest scenic byway is US 30 from Missouri Valley to IA 44, then east all the way to Panora. From there it's about 10 miles south on County P28 to I-80, where you would be about 30 miles west of Des Moines.

HTH!

If you are not in a super big hurry, I'd add about 300 miles to the trip and detour through the Black Hills of S.D. Lots of nice roads and attractions. Shoot across I 90 (better yet, old U.S. 16) and tour the S.D. Badlands. Any two lane road in the plains can be interesting with the right attitude. You have to somewhat careful planning fuel stops, particularly at night. Many of the little plains towns pretty much roll up their carpets by 8:00pm. I70, I80, and I90 are pretty much the same with I90 probably having the most touristy type stuff.If you are in a time crunch, I76 to I80 is the best route. Kansas City is a mess! When are you guys coming this way? My buddy is flying to CA to pick up a new bike and I'm thinking of meeting him in CO Memorial weekend and heading back toward WI.

Voni said:
Don't forget the Bridges of Madison County, SW of Des Moines. John Wayne was born there too.

http://www.madisoncounty.com/

Voni
sMiling

:clap

Oh yeah, one of the great Iowa "things to do." We've done Winterset and the John Wayne birthplace, but I forgot about all the other covered bridges. Thanks for the website! :)

Back