• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Should I?

TIMAY

I had a '07 K1200GT. For me, the perfect bike. Absolutely gorgeous, plenty of power, perfect fit, perfect finish. I would be happy owning it for a very long time. I sold it (long story) but I'm in the market again.

I'm reading a lot about broken cam chains, cams, and valves crushing against cylinder heads, and I'm wondering if I got out at the right time.

Would you Wedge bike owners buy another Wedge?

We have 2 of them, have done almost all the big ticket items on the highest mileage one...but YES is the answer. All bikes all makes have some sort of issue.

Yes, sold my '05 K1200S on Friday and bought a '06 K1200GT on Saturday. The Cam tensioner, tooth jump guard and cam chain will be added/replaced asap, other than that, no issues that I've had. The "S" had 30k miles on it, not a single engine problem (fuel strip, air box, stepper motor were replaced).

The Wedge

I don't have the kinds of miles on my bike that earns the respect of most of those on this forum but I would have to say that after two fault-free years of enjoying my K1300S, I most certainly would recommend the Wedge. For me it's the perfect "one bike" to have as I ride almost exclusively one-up, most of my traveling is long distance and I'm almost always in a hurry -- and this bike does "hurry" real good.

Kent

I have read of a few instances of a stretched chain jumping on higher mileage bikes but have yet to speak to a BMW mechanic who has seen one in the shop.

Installing the jump guard ($6.70) is not rocket science and can be done easily at home. Here are the parts, numbers, and prices:

11 31 8 526 932 chain tooth-jump guard $6.70
11 14 7 727 974 gasket $28.31
11 13 7 676 132 alum screws (long) $1.80 ea, 17 ea of these
11 14 7 678 478 alum screws (short one) $2.00, 1 ea of these

The aluminum screws have some amazingly low torque value that may not be measurable with the precision of the torque wrenches we have at home. And yes, you need to replace aluminum screws.

Ub
05 K1200S
86 R65

LOVE this Bike!

People that have not ridden one have no idea..(as you know) can you say sleeper? I read about the CAM chain problems too and over think everything, called the dealer and they said wait until 18K for the retainer (Hell no!). Bought the bike (an 07') with 3400 miles and had the 12K done early (around 11K) and had the retaining clip installed! She's a noisy bike, but that all goes away when you get in the throttle. She just just turned 13K this spring and I put the third set of tires on her; rear was shot and front was at the legal limit, not to open the tire discussion but I ride this bike. I still worry about this bike, but every mile I put on her is one less regret I have. (knock on wood)

If I did not have to work for a living she would have a lot more miles on her. (Just need a custom seat, that and a get out of jail free ticket) :bolt

Did it! I found a nice low miles / price combination that already had the cam chain tensioner & etc.

2008 K1200Gt in carbon, 10K miles

Fluid change and some new tires and I'm good to go!

Thanks for the input!

Back