• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Topcase for K16GT

As far as referring to the central locking system as an argument for..:
I hope all you guys who use it know, that the metal key DOES NOT override the lock function of the fob. This means, if you are out somewhere and have locked the bike with the fob, lose the fob or the batteries in it go south, you ARE STRANDED. The bike needs to be towed to the nearest dealer and have it unlocked.
This is one reason, I keep the fobs in a safe place in my den and use the "manual" keys only. I know, it is a waste of an option feature, but.....

As far as referring to the central locking system as an argument for..:
I hope all you guys who use it know, that the metal key DOES NOT override the lock function of the fob. This means, if you are out somewhere and have locked the bike with the fob, lose the fob or the batteries in it go south, you ARE STRANDED. The bike needs to be towed to the nearest dealer and have it unlocked.
This is one reason, I keep the fobs in a safe place in my den and use the "manual" keys only. I know, it is a waste of an option feature, but.....

Totally not true. There are clear instructions in the K1600 owner manual for "emergency unlocking". Look for this passage in your manual in the "Central Locking" section:

"Emergency unlocking
If the central locking system refuses
to unlock, you can open
the cases, topcase and stowage
compartments manually. The
procedure is as follows:"

As I started this thread with a question, here is the final conclusion for me, thanks to all you guys' input and detailed research at the parts counter:

The rear rack of the GT/GTL and R1200RT are identical.
The RT topcase will fit on a GT
So will other accessories, e.g.: the BAKUP passenger backrest for the RT

As a result, I got a backrest and installed it. For longer trips requiring more luggage capacity, I will use a RT topcase, which I aquired used for $480.- and had the lock matched to my key.
Paint does not match, but... oh, well...
Central locking does not work, but ..oh,well...
Topcase does not have a rear brake light, but ...oh, well
Due to the smaller integral backrest of the RT case, it does not look as huge as the GTL/GT accessory... oh, well..

I am all set! Again, thanks for advice and opinions:dance

Just one more thing: I brought this up because I was of the opinion that the optional GT topcase you can order would be the same as the topcase on the GTL.
That's why I called it an "atrocity" in my first post.
That is not so. The optional GT topcase is actually based on the topcase for the R1200RT and significantly smaller than the GTL unit.

Just one more thing: I brought this up because I was of the opinion that the optional GT topcase you can order would be the same as the topcase on the GTL.
That's why I called it an "atrocity" in my first post.
That is not so. The optional GT topcase is actually based on the topcase for the R1200RT and significantly smaller than the GTL unit.

All 3 are identical in volume, about 49 liters. The backrest pad and color are the differentiators between the GTL and GT units. Due to the difference in the standard seating from the GT to the GTL and the size of the backrest pad, the GTL case mounts a bit farther rearward.

All 3 are identical in volume, about 49 liters. The backrest pad and color are the differentiators between the GTL and GT units. Due to the difference in the standard seating from the GT to the GTL and the size of the backrest pad, the GTL case mounts a bit farther rearward.

Look at the difference in shape of a GT and a GTL case. They may both be 49L but are two different cases beyond the backrest pad and color.

The 49 liter case I colormatched to fit my Piedmont Red '06 RT fit the K1600GT's rack just fine. Even the color matched so closely you can't tell it's not an exact match. The big differences were the lack of central locking for the topcase and the backpad was different. I've read of complaints that the GTL backpad was so large, though, that it interfered with holding the grab rails. Can't comment on that, but the wife likes this case j-u-u-u-st fine.

Best part was it was FREE! It's now on my new Vermillion Red GT.

Mike,
Now that its done, you gotta post a pic or it didn't happen....:wave

Here is a picture with the BAKUP backrest installed. One of my best buddies insisted on posing with the bike

Attachments

• DSC_0092.jpg
    DSC_0092.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 120
top case for 1600gt

I got lucky and bought a 1600gt with the top case. My last bike was a 1300gt and I bought a case from the dealer for it and they painted it and keyed it for me total price around 1200 in 09. the case you get that is for the 1600 is a better looking case but is a bit of a pain to take off because of the wires and you have to un-screw the seat now to get to the plug. Also the 1300 case hand a handle to carry it when you released it from the bike, new one does not. I think case from a r1200 or 1300gt will fit your bike and you will have to paint it and key it though. if you buy new and do all that it will probably cost about the same as ordering one for the 1600.

Good looking dog.
I like the gold stripes you added. Are they stick on vinyl?

Thanks Lee! The dog knows that he is looking good - at least, he acts like it:D

The decals are vinyl. They are originally for a car and I cut the whole part into three pieces. It brakes up that terribly bland "Weissaluminium" color a little.
I have no idea who decides upon colors at BMW Motorrad. Definitely one of their weakest points. They always seem to have one really blaaahhh color in the lineup.
For 2012, the prize goes to the K1600GT!

Back