• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Topcase for K16GT

EMSimon

No longer a member here
Does anybody have a suggestion for a good alternative to the original BMW atrocity of a topcase for a K16GT? Givi, anybody else?
MaxBMW sells the R1200RT topcase on ebay and claims it will fit the K16 also. I hear different. Does anybody know, if this is true?

The 1200RT case will fit the 1600GT ... I ordered the correct top box for my 1600 so I would not have to worry about color match and also the RT box will not work with central locking system on the 1600. For the small amount of money you will save on the RT box it's not worth it in my opinion.

PS
If you want the 1600 box I'd order it pretty quick, as of three days ago there were only SIX avail in the US (Vermillion Red).

Good luck

Small amount of money????? Where did you get yours? My BMW dealer wants $1531.- for the box and an additional $452.- for mounting accessories. Plus 7.75% tax. The RT box is not even half of that.
Also, the K box is huge and just plain ugly.

Have you actually tried to fit the RT box on a K16 or are you going by hearsay?

Hey Mike: are you looking for help or an argument? You asked for infomation and you got some. Then you attack what the person writes back to you! What gives? On top of all that you say the GT top box is an atrocity...says who? You, because you don't like the look? Really????? I happen to like the top case. What's your motive here???

Rick H.

Hey Rick: Attack? No offense intended. I am just trying to clarify what to do. He said small difference in price...Well, I guess it is a personal opinion if $1000.- is a small difference. Also, I really need to know if the RT case fits from somebody who has the definite experience. A lot of people say different things.

Also, liking the looks of the K box is also a personal issue. I do think its an atrocity.
It is huge and it is shaped like a lump. Is it not proper behavior here to express ones opinion?

The 49 liter GT trunk looks very similar to the 49 liter trunk from the R1200RT and K1300GT. I wonder why the GT trunk costs so much more? Does the $1531 price include the larger GTL backrest and extra brakelight?

Attachments

• GT Trunk.jpg
    GT Trunk.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
This is strange, Lee. This trunk in your picture looks totally different to the one I saw on a GTL at the dealership. Is it possible, that the GT truck is smaller than the GTL trunk??? I was of the opinion they were the same?

This is strange, Lee. This trunk in your picture looks totally different to the one I saw on a GTL at the dealership. Is it possible, that the GT truck is smaller than the GTL trunk??? I was of the opinion they were the same?

I don't know for sure. I thought the box was the same, but the GTL has the larger backrest giving it a different look.

I thought there was a optional GT trunk, but when I look at the parts fiche, no trunk is listed.
Maybe the trunk in the picture I posted shows a trunk from the R1200RT or K1300GT?

The GT trunk is an accessory and may not appear on a GT parts fiche.
But here is what has come to light so far:

The rack is the same part-number for the R1200RT and the K1600GT - which would lead one to the assumption that the cases are interchangeable.

The K trunk is more expensive, because it has a light and it has a connection to work with the central lock system. It is also painted the same color as the bike.

Both the RT and the K16GT trunk are listed at 49 Liter volume, indicating they are the same.

Of course, one would never know 100% sure until one actually mounted an RT case on a 16GT....

Last edited:
6247469765_257d702c5b_z.jpg

Givi 55 liter topcase, mount and accessory rack were $300; works great for my Son Seth and I on our motorcycle adventures. Plenty of room and I think it looks nice enough!

6247469765_257d702c5b_z.jpg

Givi 55 liter topcase, mount and accessory rack were $300; works great for my Son Seth and I on our motorcycle adventures. Plenty of room and I think it looks nice enough!

Thank you very much! I looked at the Givis too, but I could not find anything listed definitely for the K1600GT. Could you elaborate a little about what parts you bought? Did you get the mounting plate for the R1200RT? Where di you get all this for $300.-, which would be an awesome price? Best I found was the case for $320.-. With all the other hardware the total approached $500.-

Thank you very much! I looked at the Givis too, but I could not find anything listed definitely for the K1600GT. Could you elaborate a little about what parts you bought? Did you get the mounting plate for the R1200RT? Where di you get all this for $300.-, which would be an awesome price? Best I found was the case for $320.-. With all the other hardware the total approached $500.-

Hi Mike, all items were bought at GO-AZ BMW Motorcycles of Scottsdale, AZ! I've been a GO-AZ customer since they first opened and due to this I receive discount pricing and also receive more discounts by being a Member of BMW MOA Club #89 - AZ Beemers.

Yes, the mounting plate is the same one as for the R1200RT. I bought the 55 liter top case as soon as it was available a while back, I am still alternating using it between my 2005 BMW R1150RT, my 2002 Harley-Davidson FXD and my 2003 Yamaha FJR 1300.

That's what I love about Givi gear, just buy the mounting plates and put it on any bike.

My previous Givi 52 liter topcase alternated between my 1996 BMW R1100GS, my 1986 BMW R80RT and my 1984 Harley-Davidson Shovehead 80" Electra Glide.

The 49 liter GT trunk looks very similar to the 49 liter trunk from the R1200RT and K1300GT. I wonder why the GT trunk costs so much more? Does the $1531 price include the larger GTL backrest and extra brakelight?

Good looking bike. They should call it "eat your freaking heart out red".

H That's what I love about Givi gear, just buy the mounting plates and put it on any bike.

This is one BIG argument for a GIVI, in addition to the price. I also hear that the BMW case CAN NOT be easily taken off (like on my R1100RT). Probably depends on whether you have it wired in.

I'm very happy with the BMW large waterproof soft bag that I am using. 50 liter capacity, $175, hard tray on bottom to permit across-the-rack mounting, easy on & off.

Photo%20Mar%2013_%2011%2010%2017.jpg

The nice thing about the K16GT top case is that it works with the central locking - just hit the key FOB and the bike's all locked up. What's not nice is that this solution costs something like $1800+ installed. I originally ordered my GT with the color matched top case but dropped it off the order before the build. I'm only going need the extra storage a couple of times a year on longer multi-day trips and will just throw on a soft bag or my old T-bag that fits just fine across the luggage rack and back seat and even gives me a little lumbar support if I lean back. I just can't see spending that kind of dough on a top case especially when I think it spoils the lines of the bike - just my opinion.

I am told the 28 liter topbox ($466) used on many R1200 boxer models work well. I inspected the rack and it looks like it will fit. My dealer also says it will work. I too do not like the behemoth of the GTL top box. I am keeping mine from my R1200ST.

Ended up taking the 28L topcase off my K1200Gt when I traded it. Had Max BMW paint the top cover to match my K1600GT. They did an amazing job matching and for a very reasonable $200. Looks great on the bike (I'll try and take a photo this weekend and post). Only downside is you will need an extra key as the box will not work with the K1600's central lock system. No big deal in my opinion. :whistle

Please ride safely! :wave

Back