• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Key chain damage

easy solution

Whe I bought my 1978 BMW R100/7 in 1979 I kept the key in the ignition. I don't think I ever removed it until I sold it in 2010. Maybe I live in a safer neighborhood....or the thieves around here don't like BMW's!

Mac

I got this nifty fob off of ebay.

2hycjv9.jpg

I use a short piece of leather shoe lace as the key chain, which does not scratch the bike. I keep the luggage and other keys on a separate keychain in my pocket.

I just flip my house key and alarm device forward after I insert the ignition key. This prevents the scratches. Simple fix :)

This:)

I use a red ball bungie attached to my solo key. Easy to find if it gets separated from me! You know those little ball bungies folks tie tarps down with:). Mine is red. I actually rarely take the key from its ignition, except for gas cap opening. This GSA is Sooooo BIG, few folks can even mount it, much less find the key:). Randy:thumb

OK, so what are some things members are doing to keep the area around the ignition key from looking like it was shot peened after a few hundred miles? Obvious answer is a soft fob without any additional keys but that's not always practical. Any favorite protective solutions?

I don't see why that's not practical. The only keys on my motorcycel key ring are the keys for my motorcycle and one house key. Any other I mignt need are on a seperate key ring, either packed away or in a coat pocket.

Back