• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Blind spot mirrors

I've had spot mirrors on all my bikes/cars/trucks for years and years, with nothing but praise for'em:). I'm almost at my 1 million miles on my bikes alone now, no accidents in any of the above. Knock on wood! The spot mirrors serve a purpose anybody should consider a "good one", never neglecting the old school, look over the shoulder idea too. They work together:). I consider any of my vehicles/bikes handicapped, without the convex mirrors in place and really feel somethings missing when I drive/ride without them. Definately a valued item to have in place,imo. Randy:thumb

Well said Randy! I've also been using spot mirrors for years. Personnally, my main mirrors are set for my blind spots, and use my spot mirrors for the rest,to see my passenger, my cases and vehicles behind me! And of course you should always look over your shoulders!!!

Got the Total View version, works just fine

The link that the OP posted? They want 30$ a piece for theirs. These look like the same thing, only not so expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Total-2-Set-A...0?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1331998295&sr=1-70

Google "Total View Blind Spot Mirror" and you can take your pick where to order them from for around $10/pair. Quality is pretty good all things considered.

Less expensive, works for me. Posted some pics over at the other forum. Mounted them in the upper corner (where you usually just see your hands) and aimed them to cover the blind spot where cars sneak up on you.

Stock mirrors aimed to view whatever is coming up behind me. Since the swivel mount is offset you can stick it on the top corner and have this mirror sit a little higher than the stock mirror.

Aloha,
Huladog

I have MULTIVEX mirrors on my Toyota FJ Cruiser, their Custom for each vehicle, and have BMW motorcycle applications just not for the GS.
I have e-mailed them several times asking if they would make some for the 1200GS/A
So far no response, believe it is a rather small company
The are the best mirrors I have ever used no blind spots whatsoever

I'm showing my age here...but...anyway...

"Shoulder Check"?

I prefer the nomenclature I first read in a Stu Munro column many years ago in Rider Magazine. Spitfire pilots during WWII learned the "Messerschmitt Twitch" to stay alive in battle...

And I still feel like I'm in battle on the highways and byways, so I use the "Messerschmitt Twitch" faithfully.

Cheers!:brow

My question for all of you who DO have "blind spot" mirrors but STILL shoulder check is WHY? (Two lanes on either side the noted exception.) Seems to me, if you don't trust the blind spot mirrors, why have them?

I rode for three seasons with the blind spot mirrors and shoulder checks. The shoulder checks were to be certain that what I saw in the blind spot mirrors were correct. After three years of doing this, I had the confidence to trust my blind spot mirrors and my shoulder checks became less frequent. They are a great boon when driving in congested traffic when you don't really wish to take your eyes off what is happening in front of you.

I find too many mirrors distracting. And, I don't like many distractions when riding. Mirrors in particular alter your focus when they are placed in the wrong spots. So, I think most after-market mirrors are down-right dangerous. For example, when I purchased my RTP, it had 4 mirrors on it. The two after-market mirrors attached to the brake fluid and clutch fluid pools got in the way of my peripheral vision. The add on mirrors also vibrated at hwy speed. They also increased glare when riding at night. If safety is the goal, extra mirrors may actually make some riders less safe.

One thing I like to add, and maybe someone already mentioned it, is that the shoulder check helps the driver in the other vehicle know that you have the intention of changing lanes, and they seam more curtious this way! I especialy noticed this on the west cost (US and Canada) the folks seams to have more respect for motorcycle over there then here in New Brunswick Canada, overall.

On my R1200RT, I have the original set of useless mirrors, the addition of the stalk-mounted mirrors normally found on a KS bike, and wide-angle (convex) little mirrors stuck to the glass of the OEM glass.

However, none of these six mirors have anything to do with any turn, lane change or evasive maneuver I ever make.

That's what a head-check is for - every time!

Mirrors, as I instruct my MSF students, are simply a way to passively monitor what is going on behind you or in proximity to either side of you. They have NOTHING to do with, for example, the common maneuver of changing lanes.

Motorcycles have blind spots and glances in mirrors never tell the whole story, so they are cautioned to never, never, ever change their position on a roadway without a head check first.

It's the fastest way for professional instructors to spot the difference between a 'veteran' rider and an experienced rider.

That logic has saved my butt more than once.

Mirrors are important, but your head on a swivel is your best visual aid for safe operation. :thumb

I find too many mirrors distracting. And, I don't like many distractions when riding. Mirrors in particular alter your focus when they are placed in the wrong spots. So, I think most after-market mirrors are down-right dangerous. For example, when I purchased my RTP, it had 4 mirrors on it. The two after-market mirrors attached to the brake fluid and clutch fluid pools got in the way of my peripheral vision. The add on mirrors also vibrated at hwy speed. They also increased glare when riding at night. If safety is the goal, extra mirrors may actually make some riders less safe.

Now this may be distracting... :laugh

I had the added mirrors on my RT...never an issue as I used my swivel neck more than the mirrors anyways.

Attachments

• mirror overload.jpg
    mirror overload.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 2,249
Now this may be distracting... :laugh

I had the added mirrors on my RT...never an issue as I used my swivel neck more than the mirrors anyways.
That guy is invisible. He needs to be wearing some hi-viz gear. Some load pipes would also help. ;)

"Shoulder Check"?

I prefer the nomenclature I first read in a Stu Munro column many years ago in Rider Magazine. Spitfire pilots during WWII learned the "Messerschmitt Twitch" to stay alive in battle...

And I still feel like I'm in battle on the highways and byways, so I use the "Messerschmitt Twitch" faithfully.

I've got the Brit book "Motorcycle Roadcraft, a Police Rider's Handbook of Safe Riding" or whatever the title is.

The term they use for "head check" is "lifesaver," and for good reason.

Harry

Back OT, I use blind spot mirrors on all our 4 wheeled vehicles, and have done so for many years. But still use a head/shoulder check in all cases before changing lanes.

Tried some blind spot mirrors on a bike once, but they were so small that it was distracting trying to see the adjacent lanes. So gave up with them on my bikes...maybe this maxieview thing (or whatever they're called) is okay, but my ability to retrain myself at this advanced age is VERY limited.

So, I'll just keep doin' it the old fashioned way...:gerg

On bikes with frame mounted rearview mirrors such as K100RT,LT,RS,1100LT,RS and many others. Try the Hercules blind spot mirrors. The ones made for smaller cars is about right. They fit on top of the mirror housing so they do not take up any of the view of stock mirror. They give a large view of the object so you believe what you see. Since they sit on top of the stock mirrors, you can moniter both mirrors simultaneously. Fairly easy install. Do a search for Hercules blind spot mirrors. Pretty cheap and they work.

Un-answered question

Don't shoulder checks take MORE TIME than using good mirrors?

Believe I stated that a "shoulder check" takes quite a bit more time than a glance at the left side mirror where you get 1. a view of what is behind you (main mirror for most,) 2. what is in your blind spot (good properly adjusted blind spot mirror attached to the OEM mirror,) and 3. any vehicle leaving your "blind spot" is now in you peripheral vision. This is the sort of quick information we need in traffic. My take is that all of us should do this OFTEN - like every 7-8 seconds - even when we are not in heavy traffic.

MOST of the things that threaten us are ahead of us. So we need frequent but very brief glances at what is behind and beside us, but most of our attention should should be a wide-angle view of what is up-front.

As another poster commented, it DOES TAKE TIME to trust your mirrors. But I believe good mirrors, properly adjusted, and frequently used are a real aid when you encounter a "sudden decision" situation.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Clw64ntcIVo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks, very entertaining video!

Anyone else want to comment on some practices demonstrated not currently encouraged? The one thing that jumped out at me is the spacing between the four bikes on the group ride - certainly didn't look like a 2-second following distance!

And the video (plus my comments) may have little to do with this thread.

Back