• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New bike

reimerdavid

Well hello everyone, this is Dave's son again "Matt" sadly this past December my kawasaki had a mishap with a car.

So I am currently just for giggles looking at what BMW would fit my needs.

1st bike 1983 R100RS "Sold"
2nd bike 2009 Kawasaki Versys "Deceased"

My needs:

Fun
Daily Rider
Weekend Trips
Handels well
Has good pep

I have been riding my fathers R1200RT and enjoy that a lot. However it is a large bike comapred to my previous one and is taking some getting use to. Still very nice for staying warm on cold days. "Heated grips!!!!!" :dance

So I am interested in what you guys recommend.

On a side note I keep seeing my fathers old K75 in the R1200R and really like that.

Last edited:
The K75's I am finding have higher mileage on them so I am not sure if that effects reliability.

I actually test drove a F800ST at a BMW rally a few years ago. Was a good bike, side bags are very small though.

I will check them out. Anymore advice

I have both the R1200RT and the F800ST.
The F800ST is my commuter ride and weekender if I am solo.
I got the R1200RT for two-up comfort after a few longer rides on the F800.

I don't notice it being "big". It's a mid-weight. But I came from a 900lb cruiser, so it's a light-weight now :D

Size matters;

Not bike so much as body size and shape! Those rockets, lean onto the handlebars are for the sleak, thinner folk with no intent on real long comfortable days on the tarmack. Buy what fits you, makes you feel comfy and take good measure, because you live with what you buy for a while. Bent knees hurt everybody after a few 100 miles, seats almost always fail on every bike to keep ones bum happy. HP comes in a wide variety of bike styles so shop wise:), for your bodies sake and you'll ride so many more happy miles, still smiling:). Randy:thumb

Not bike so much as body size and shape! Those rockets, lean onto the handlebars are for the sleak, thinner folk with no intent on real long comfortable days on the tarmack.

Randy; i must be a "sleek thinner folk" then, even tho the odometer says 57 and the scale says 190- as a normal/easy backroads touring day on my R11S is in the 400+ range. unless i'm really trying to eat miles, in which case it might be double that. don't discount the hot rod "rockets" for mile munching, those of us who grew up (and grew older) with Ss and RSs have learned the secret- "sit up and beg" is not always best.

Back