• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Yet another aux. lite question.

oldnslow

It's a way of life!
I have a set of 55w H3 'driving' lights on my bike (K100RT) mounted under the front headlight in the 'triangle' pattern. My question is this:

I have my choice of using yellow bulbs or clear bulbs. Which do you think will make me the most visible? Im not concerned about using them to illuminate the road, only for me being visible to others.

So, yellow or clear? (the clear are ultra white, the yellow is a pale yellow, not orange)

These are not H3's but you get the idea.
We use the triangle for visibility, so the yellow does seem to help
foggy-L.jpg

some more pics here:
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=42488

Geez...never thought to search this topic...I guess there are not any 'new' topics left in the world. Thanks for the info. I think I will try the yellow for a while!

Geez...never thought to search this topic...I guess there are not any 'new' topics left in the world. Thanks for the info. I think I will try the yellow for a while!

If only someone would ask about oil :laugh

I have a set of yellow H3 bulbs ( I think) for H's PIAA 510's on her GS. She is using that bike for commuting and still wants to really light up the road, so I have not installed them yet.
Found them doing a Google search for a great price...just forget where.

If you want to be seen try PHOTON BLASTERS by Skene Designs, P3's in the back are also a big plus:bikes

Yellow will get you noticed. The first time i lived in Europe it seemed that over half the cars in France had yellow lights. I, and many others, found the yellow light very difficult to deal with when on an uncoming vehicle. As a result, I believe France outlawed the yellow lights some time ago. I may put yellow in my aux lights, but will be sensitive to not running them at night in traffic. There has been a long discussion of this over on the the R1200R forum that is located at: http://www.r1150r.org/

Yellow will get you noticed. The first time i lived in Europe it seemed that over half the cars in France had yellow lights.

Yellow headlamps were introduced in France in 1936 and were REQUIRED until the early 90s when the EU came together with somewhat common laws. At that point new cars came with white headlamps. If Wikipedia is to be believed they are still "permitted throughout Europe on vehicles already so equipped".

Back to motorcycles... I used yellow lamps on my motolights. I prefer them. When (if?) the H3 bulbs on my current Hella fog lamps that replaced the motolights burn out I'll put yellow bulbs in them, too.

Back