• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Daytona 200

Does anyone know if the 200 will be broadcast on Speed-TV this year?..or any channel?......Thanks, Ron

As a former competitor and privateer team member I will be watching.
It's a crying shame what has happened to that race over the last several years IMHO.:brow

Now it seems like it's the AMA/DMG Street bike race that has forgotten its past glory and place among champions.:sick

Race? You mean there's a race during Bike Week?? I thought it was just Jello wrestling and straignt pipe Harleys.

Seriously, I too miss the good old days when the big bikes were the premiere class running the 200 and the organizers actually knew what they were doing. Oh well. I'm just an old fart and I enjoy the vintage racing a whole lot more.

pete

Since there is no longer any vintage road racing I don't bother going down there.

I miss staying at the old Ramada Inn directly across from the track. It's been a mall now for a long time. Got to talk with Kenny Roberts late into the night, since he was staying there.
Made some good friends and had a lot of fun.

The loud pipe crowd mostly stayed away and hung out in town. We would take one night and go down main street , a real hoot back then. Now it's mostly posers and women who need foundation garments.:nono

Even though the race did not count on the international calendar it was always considered the true start of the racing season.
We had so much fun back then helping out some of the European competitors get through tech. I was called on to translate for a few because my German was good, and the AMA tech inspector guys were hard to deal with sometimes:brow

Thanks for the information!!...and i agree the AMA has screwed up the 200. Someone said it was so Honda would likely always win...:dunno

But, at least it's m/c racing. I've also been told that the AMA series is going to become part of NASCAR??......that should finish it off...:eek

In reality it's already part of the NAPCAR family.
Daytona Motor Sports Group = DMG

The AMA should never have gotten in to the race promotion business in the first place IMHO. They got greedy and lost site of their goals and purpose.

I am a charter life member of the AMA and still contend they are hands down the most professional organization to represent motorcyclists in Washington on issues that concern our ability to enjoy the sport we love.
But they have been in a mess for several years now, with leadership changes , poor management and a host of other membership, financial, problems.
Their membership has been declining for several years , while the BMWMOA and other club organizations have been growing .

I am a die hard motor sports fan , especially motorcycles . Just sad to see the 200 event reduced to the small potatoes it is today.

In reality it's already part of the NAPCAR family.
Daytona Motor Sports Group = DMG

The AMA should never have gotten in to the race promotion business in the first place IMHO. They got greedy and lost site of their goals and purpose.

I am a charter life member of the AMA and still contend they are hands down the most professional organization to represent motorcyclists in Washington on issues that concern our ability to enjoy the sport we love.
But they have been in a mess for several years now, with leadership changes , poor management and a host of other membership, financial, problems.
Their membership has been declining for several years , while the BMWMOA and other club organizations have been growing .

I am a die hard motor sports fan , especially motorcycles . Just sad to see the 200 event reduced to the small potatoes it is today.

I too am a charter life member, and have seen {IMO} the decline of the AMA . Maybe they just tried to spread themselves too thin. Don't mean to sound so critical, but it just isn't what it used to be ..again {JMO}

Haven't they always been a promoter though? I mean the flat-track series,the Super-Bike series, hill-climbs , Vintage-Dyas,& such....But something [is] different. I can't put my finger on it, but it's just ??...not the same.

Back in the day the AMA was the "sanctioning body" for events and the promoter was the guy who sold the tickets , did the side shows, and made the money.

The AMA thought they could be everything, got greedy, and sadly were mistaken. I think that started in the late 70's if memory serves.

When DMG showed up I was as bitter about it as anybody. My suggestion is to get over it. The road races the past couple of years have been fantastic. IÔÇÖve never been a fan of the Daytona 200 and IÔÇÖve been attending since they ran F-1 two strokes. ItÔÇÖs too long. After slaving away at Bulow for ten days I found the race to be an excellent place to catch some much needed shuteye. I stopped going a few years ago and now stay awake by using the fast forward button on my remote. Not running the premier class (Superbikes) works for me because I get to see them in a better format on Friday and Saturday. If you wish to attend, the best day at the track is on Friday. You can see all classes in practice and qualifying and two great races later in the afternoon. DonÔÇÖt forget the fan walk at noon. Last year we all scored free Larry Pegram BMW S1000RR T-shirts. Now if thatÔÇÖs not enough fun for you, head over to the Flat Track later that evening for one of the greatest shows on earth!

Back