• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tank Panniers-F650GS DAKAR?

scoobs

Hi,
Anyone out there have any comments ref. using tank panniers on an F650Gs Dakar? Size, price, etc.
Cheers,
Ian

Aerostitch:)

I use the Aerostitch tank panniers for over 20 years now. VERY happy with them on several bikes, including my last trip on my GSA1200:). I don't know how they fit a F650Dakar, but likely will and are adjustable to any size tank. I WILL buy another set from Aerostitch soon, but my original still working fine and faded out some from so many years on the road. Sure beats my tankbags, which I won't use again...They sell two sizes, competition and standard, the comp set are slightly smaller at the bottom for a slender look. I use the standard, but likely will go comp. next time, as my GSA1200 is huge enough already. All those years the price was 117$ and just went to 127$ last time I looked. A GREAT buy, imo. Randy:thumb:usa

I have a set of Wolfman tank panniers and used them on my old Dakar and they fit well. They are adjustable and should fit most bikes.

Last edited:
Question for those who use tank Panniers ??

Do they help block wind off your knees ?

Any weird handling effects ?

Thanks, Doug

Question for those who use tank Panniers ??

Do they help block wind off your knees ? Some, guess it will depend on exactly the are placed on a particular bike. I have used them mostly on a GSPD can't say I noticed a bunch of protection from the wind, but they sure absorbed a great deal of mud when riding on dirt roads.

Any weird handling effects ? None noted on bikes that seldom get over 65 MPH.

Thanks, Doug

Ditto;

No issues handling and yes, legs get better protection. Reason I scraped tankbags for my panniers is I just got way too tired removing my bag for gas fillups. Panniers are never in my way for gas cap access.. I used to run both tankbag and panniers, just too busy and a LOT of years to learn I like my system now much better. Randy

Sort of the way I have been thinking.

I use a magnetic tank bag on my airhead with a metal tank.
But it seems no matter where i position the tank bag I always manage to hit it with the turn signal switch at some point during a ride. Then feel like a dork when I notice the thing is flashing away and I wonder how long it's been on :blush

If I can find a used set of tank panniers cheap enough i might give them a try.

Used'em all too;

I've had so many tankbags, lost count! Not any more for me:). I ride mostly dual sport, on and off road conditions and find the panniers trouble free. No tankbag works anymore. GSA1200,KLR650...Good luck. I found the 117$ price on the Aerostitch Panniers and now at 127$ a bargain for the years use you get out of them. My one set is over 20 years old, still in working order. I am about to buy another set of'em:), for my newer GSA... Randy

Thanks but NOPE:)

Even at old age, the panniers are great and many years left in'em. They are faded quite nicely, however, showing many miles. My newer GSA would look nice with a newer set. The GSA did wear them around the USA last year and I was happy:). The old set will go back on my R100/7. Changing from bike to bike is not too big a hassle, but if I get another, one less thing to do prepping bikes for trips:). Randy

okey dokey.

I did not think you wanted to part with them but thought I would ask.:nono
If you are like me , I prefer older things with a little love on them.
Cars, bikes, boats, women ( they have experience and will guide you ):bow

Back