Thread: Wobbly Rear Turn Indicator Frames

Question Wobbly Rear Turn Indicator Frames

The orange turn indicators on the back of my R90/6 are "wobbly". Does anyone know how to tighten them up without snapping them off?

If I recall correctly, the securing of the turn signal housings is within the housing itself - you remove the lens cover(s) and there should be a half clamp that clamps onto the "pipe" of the arms that enter the housings - the half clamp is held in place with a couple of hex-headed screws that might be loose.
    JWMcDonald
    2003 R1150RS (current) / 1978 R80/7 (prior)
    1966 R69S (prior) / 1972 R75/5 (prior)
    Windsor, California

mymindsok
    Quote Originally Posted by JWMcDonald View Post
    If I recall correctly, the securing of the turn signal housings is within the housing itself - you remove the lens cover(s) and there should be a half clamp that clamps onto the "pipe" of the arms that enter the housings - the half clamp is held in place with a couple of hex-headed screws that might be loose.
    Not only that but those clamps might need a little tweaking.

This is one of those things where you have to take the parts apart and screw around with em.

No big deal though!

Electrical Tape

I had the same issue with mine. If you go through Minsok's procedure and they are still wobbling, sagging, tilting and just plain pissing you off, try wrapping the support tube with electical tape.

Basically, remove the turn signal as much as is necessary to do a few wraps of the tube with electrical tape. Cut a slit where the tube indentation (anti-rotation feature) is, and then reinstall the signal. It may take a little more than a gentle force to seat it properly with the electrical tape in there. You will feel when it seats because it will be fairly tight and will no longer rotate even without your clamp screws loosely tightened. Then tighten the clamp screws, not too tight because your screwing plastic.

Good luck.

HH
    Helmut always wears a Helmet.

Smile WObbly Turn Signal Indicators

Thank you to all of you. I am very pleased to have the forum to turn to-it'l like having experienced friends out in the garage just standing by to share their experience, strength and hope
    If I'd known riding was this much fun, I'd have been born with wheels!

What I did was get the aluminum signal housings from a /5
    they will bolt up solid and won't come loose.

but if you want origionality go with tape on the cross bar to make the plastic housings solid.
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

When you get the lens off and the bulb holder out, take the two screws out and remove the clamp. You'll probably see that the clamp is bent. Straighten/flatten the ends on a flat surface(you'll see what I mean when you get it out) and they'll be snug when you put it all back together.I've seen where individuals have tried to bend the little tab on the clamp in an effort to tighten things up and that doesn't work.

Woodgrain