• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Linkage bracket and spring for R90/6 stock center stand

tishgold

tishgold
Fellow Airheads! I am really proud of my recent efforts in removing the OEM side stand from my '76 R90/6 and replacing it with a Brown side stand. All's good so far....the rub is that in removing the stock stand, I had to, of course, push the front through bolt in enough to remove the stand. The problem is that I cannot for the life of me figure out how to put the linkage bracket and spring back on the left side of the frame. Before taking off, now I have to physically bend down while sitting on the bike and lift the center stand up by hand because there is only one spring on the right side. Not good for the long run. Anyone have any experience on this one? Thanks in advance brothers and sisters. :help

May I suggest that you leave the stock stand on. It does not interfere with anything and can come in useful if you need to remove the center stand with the Brown stand.

I found out this when I wanted to replace the bushings in my center stand only find out that I had to remove the exhaust, which of course the Brown uses as an attachment. This left nothing for me to secure the bike with so I found a Ebay factory stand and installed it.

Put the spacer/spring attachment back in without the spring, The curved part of the bracket goes under the sidestand pin with the spacer portion against the motor. After you have installed it, install the centerstand spring.

Putting linkage bracket back on to attach left center stand spring

Put the spacer/spring attachment back in without the spring, The curved part of the bracket goes under the sidestand pin with the spacer portion against the motor. After you have installed it, install the centerstand spring.

Thanks. I appreciate the info. You are speaking about attaching the black (painted the color of the frame) nickel-to-quarter sized 3/4" - 1" OD cylindrical protrusion that angles slightly up on the inside of the assembly where the OEM stand was attached to the front long through bolt, aren't you?

If I knew how to attach a photo to this response, I would do so.

Click on the paperclip icon at the top of the message area. Use the browse feature to find the image (JPG, BMP, etc.) located on your computer. Select the image and click on upload. Bob's Your Uncle!

Thanks. I appreciate the info. You are speaking about attaching the black (painted the color of the frame) nickel-to-quarter sized 3/4" - 1" OD cylindrical protrusion that angles slightly up on the inside of the assembly where the OEM stand was attached to the front long through bolt, aren't you?

Yes.

Click on the paperclip icon at the top of the message area. Use the browse feature to find the image (JPG, BMP, etc.) located on your computer. Select the image and click on upload.

Didn't know that! So, there's...

1)
Howto1.jpg

2)
Howto2.jpg

3)
Howto3.jpg

Back